Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 10:19 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
"My phone died" is the weakest excuse going.
Here's how you get out of a phone call:
If your partner is home, mouth to him/her: "go ring the doorbell."
Bing-bong!
"Oh, our company is here! Gotta go; talk to you later!"
If partner is not home, simply hang up while you are talking. That makes the cut-off a little more authentic.
Ha my parents were given a gadget that makes different noises, such as a doorbell ringing, for this purpose.

OP, I can’t say I’ve experienced the whole phone dying excuse, but I’ve had my fair share of one sided friendships. If you feel that this person truly can’t be bothered with you, why are you bothering with her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 10:22 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I actually know someone who does hang up like that. Why I don't know. She just gets tired of talking and click. She's not normally a rude person either; I've seen her do it to other people and have asked why..

What was her answer?

Old 10-24-2019, 08:03 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
What was her answer?
Good question. i want to know, too.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:57 AM

1,350 posts, read 818,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I have yet to find a person who wants to be a therapist.
My therapist's cell hangs up on me!! Should I take that personally, do you think? (Sometimes I do.....)

It's when she goes through a part of town, by the mountains, where calls drop off. And my phone dies too, but it's AT&T and it happens when I am inside certain buildings.

OP, my condolences on your mother. I guess tell your friend how you feel and see if it changes anything. Good luck.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:30 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times
I think it is a genius strategy.

Haha. Having said that, I would give her a charger and tell her she never has an excuse again to hang up. If she keeps doing it, cut her out of your life.

However, you yourself know best - are you really calling her too often and too long? Maybe work on that.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:16 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,343,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I don't buy it. Does anybody? At least more than once?

I have a friend who will just cut off a conversation when she either is bored or arrives where she's going or whatever. Just, no connection mid-sentence.

Then, the next day I get the excuse that so sorry, her phone died.

If it happened once, or maybe twice in a 12 month period, I "might" believe it. But, every other week?

Even if it's true, it's unacceptable. Charge your dang phone.

Funny thing, though, is that whenever she needs my help, she doesn't have these issues - or at most, they are instantly resolved.

When I need her help? Huh, phone died mid-conversation.

I guess the moral of the story for me, anyway, is to stop being available to this kind of person.

But, have you dealt with the same situation where supposedly someone's phone magically died when you were in the middle of talking, and they didn't get back to you for a day? Hello, can't everyone else just plug their phone in? I know I can.
Honestly, I'd be a little inclined to believe it. I've been in situations where my phone not only died on me all of a sudden, but also seemed to have trouble charging. (Had a bad charger). So I give the benefit of the doubt in some cases. That said, I can see how people use it as just an excuse.

And oh, I understand that frustration. Funny thing is I never really been in that situation where I had someone who would leave me hanging if I needed their help...because I never went to that person and asked for help (even if I needed it because that person had glaring signs of flakiness). I knew that person would drop me like a hot potato, but that sucks to have people like that.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think it is a genius strategy.

Haha. Having said that, I would give her a charger and tell her she never has an excuse again to hang up. If she keeps doing it, cut her out of your life.

However, you yourself know best - are you really calling her too often and too long? Maybe work on that.
"I lost my (someone stole my) charger."

"See what had happened was that I went to this person and that person did this, and then another person did this, and then that happened and..."

It's always something with those people. And they are so obvious in their BS, they have you thinking "Yeah, whatever."

Old 10-25-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You remember that when it's your loved one who is dying or just died.

Exactly, I am currently over in Ireland. One of the many things I love about the Irish people in addition to being friendlier and politer than most Americans, is if they have to get off the phone or end a conversation they just tell you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This sequence illustrates a very constructive purpose of CD; expressing brutally honest views that you would never openly express in the outside world. I'm going to rep both posts if I can.
I find that I am more "brutally" honest in the real world than online (sometimes, I'm so specific and direct it's almost comical). Anything I say online will just get twisted and misrepresented

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
My phone cuts off all the time when Im talking to people. I dont pay attention to how much battery I have left, and I dont carry a charger with me all the time. I just talk til the phone cuts off. When I get home, Ill plug it in. I have no agenda, it just happens.
Sometimes, my phone would just cut off all of a sudden even if it doesn't die. My ear probably accidentally touches the "hang up" icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
If there are really phone issues, you probably would know the context. The fact that you have a question and that this friend isn't going out of their way to contact you or do something to make up for what happened prior, this probably isn't a good friend for you to have. I wouldn't play games back. Just simply, make a decision and move on, but leave your door open enough that you friend or "friend" can still contact you and meet you at your convenience (at a time and location you were planning on being at regardless of if friend shows up or not.)
Yeah, I wouldn't play games back either. But given what I deal with when it comes to my phone, you can tell me that the phone slapped you and stomped you and ran off, and I would believe you. Phones, especially smartphones are defiant little devils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It happens to my brother all the time. And HE calls me. So it's not like he didn't want to talk to me. Sometims the phone cuts out a bit beforehand.

His phone dies a lot because he uses it a lot, and he's running the roads. It's because he doesn't like to charge it at home because that charger is slow, so he prefers to charge it when he's driving around, so it doesn't get a full charge. Or maybe it's vice versa. Whatever. It happens.
I have another one of these issues. The chargers are too slow. The worst part is that it used to be the dollar store chargers that were so slow. Now, I could pay $30 or so for a charger, and it still barely charges the phone. It seems the only way to get a charger that actually charges at a reasonable rate is to get a new phone.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:34 PM

35,008 posts, read 16,972,291 times
A corollary to the "phone died" excuse is pretending not to hear what people don't want to hear.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:36 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,938,422 times
Well thats just hilarious if its true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships