Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 10:27 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I go to my nephews softball games, soccer games, etc. Not every one certainly. but some during the season and if they make the playoffs I feel I should go to root the kids on. Why wouldn’t aunts, cousins etc go if they live nearby and it’s a relatively close family? It’s not everyone, but lots of kids have people aside from parents there.
Because I have other interest than seeing kids playing and stumbling over the ball at a sport I don't care about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 10:36 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
I go to my nephews softball games, soccer games, etc. Not every one certainly. but some during the season and if they make the playoffs I feel I should go to root the kids on. Why wouldn’t aunts, cousins etc go if they live nearby and it’s a relatively close family? It’s not everyone, but lots of kids have people aside from parents there.
Because those aunts, uncles, and cousins have lives of their own. In the world off C-D land, people usually don’t have jobs that offer that much vacation time or let them off for every event their extended family has. More realistic they may have their own children they may struggle to make events for.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:43 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Because I have other interest than seeing kids playing and stumbling over the ball at a sport I don't care about
I was asking in general not you specifically.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:45 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
I go to my nephews softball games, soccer games, etc. Not every one certainly. but some during the season and if they make the playoffs I feel I should go to root the kids on.
Why wouldn’t aunts, cousins etc go if they live nearby and it’s a relatively close family? It’s not everyone, but lots of kids have people aside from parents there.
Well, we have a close family. I had/have five nieces and nephews who lived in the same general area as where my family lived. By the time, that Hubby and I completed the work for our full time demanding careers (we both worked six days a week) and attended the sporting events, school events, church events and drove to and from multiple classes & practices every week for our two children there was barely time for us to sleep let alone attend events for our nieces and nephews. Plus, another nephew lived 1,000 miles away and other nieces and nephews lived 400 miles away. We really couldn't attend their events.

We did attended birthday parties, family cook-outs and other family events but certainly did not have the time, or energy, to go to softball games, soccer games, swim meets, football games, dance recitals, school programs, etc. etc. for our nieces and nephews. Heck, Hubby and I both couldn't make it to all of the events for our own children due to work and other life responsibilities.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:48 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
I was asking in general not you specifically.
Okay, then I rephrase it.

Because people have other interests than seeing kids playing and stumbling over the ball at a sport they don't care about.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Because those aunts, uncles, and cousins have lives of their own. In the world off C-D land, people usually don’t have jobs that offer that much vacation time or let them off for every event their extended family has. More realistic they may have their own children they may struggle to make events for.
You don’t need vacation to go to a soccer game Saturday morning. Again if you live nearby. I think you’re misunderstanding my post in any case. Someone posted expressing surprise that extended family would go to such events and I simply responded sure, why wouldn’t they? I wasn’t asking for an actual list of reasons why people choose not to. For trick-or-treat tonight, I will be going with the kids as well as their parents as well as a cousin, another aunt and the partner of that aunt and their grandfather. Believe it or not there are families that do things together. Of course this is a choice and not everyone has to do this, but to act like it’s unheard of is pretty silly.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Okay, then I rephrase it.

Because people have other interests than seeing kids playing and stumbling over the ball at a sport they don't care about.
I wasn’t actually asking for reasons. It’s like if someone said “would you like a piece of chocolate cake?” And I said “sure why wouldn’t I?”I’m not really asking for a list of all the reasons someone would decline chocolate cake. Again someone asked if extended families actually do things like this and I said “sure they do, why wouldn’t they?” You’re taking a phrase too literally.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:00 AM

669 posts, read 321,412 times
Your brother isn't the norm and shouldn't be representative of "Parents". But yes, there are extra 'proud' parents that seem to want to make themselves and kids at the center of the world.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:07 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
You don’t need vacation to go to a soccer game Saturday morning. Again if you live nearby. I think you’re misunderstanding my post in any case. Someone posted expressing surprise that extended family would go to such events and I simply responded sure, why wouldn’t they? I wasn’t asking for an actual list of reasons why people choose not to. For trick-or-treat tonight, I will be going with the kids as well as their parents as well as a cousin, another aunt and the partner of that aunt and their grandfather. Believe it or not there are families that do things together. Of course this is a choice and not everyone has to do this, but to act like it’s unheard of is pretty silly.
This is particularly uninformed. There are a lot of people who work weekends, I’m one of them. Not everyone works a 9-5 mon-fri schedule. This is a reality for a lot of uncles and aunts. Ideally they can make an event on a very occasional basis but the OP’s situation sounds like a controlling brother hellbent on essentially being parent number three and OP is not willing to accept that role.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:08 AM

149 posts, read 165,610 times
Ugh. I was a stay at home Mom and loved it— adored my kids, but really was never very enthusiastic about going to after school stuff ... plays, concerts,etc. I would never try to guilt my sibling into attending. Why should we both suffer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships