Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2019, 12:18 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,438,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Agree, speaking correct English is never ridiculous. I can't stand people who can't take the time to speak correctly. One of my pet peeves is when people say, "I am good," when asked how they are. No one is asking what type of person you are, they are asking after your health. Careless and lazy speaking habits make a person sound ignorant and uncouth.
I bet you are a HOOT at parties.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:19 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It drives me nuts when people say, "That is spot on!"

For some reason, that has become a cliche that grates my nerves.
I think that's one that was used in the U.K. and has now crossed the pond and become popular here.

"Crossed the pond" might be one of those overused phrases, now that I think of it.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:24 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,643,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I bet you are a HOOT at parties.
Yes, thank you. I am.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:30 PM

937 posts, read 744,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Similar: "Not responsible for broken windshields" Yes, you are. Failure to secure load and if your driver doesn't feel he needs to display a license plate on his dump bed, I hope he doesn't mind being followed all the way to his destination for a nice little interview with a state trooper. My $1200 windshield isn't going on MY insurance.

I don't go looking for opportunities like this, but if you can't keep your contents on the truck w/o bouncing them all over the highway, then take slower roads where you won't be firing deadly rocks from your dump bed.
Yes! You are so right. I have many a time silently pondered why in the world trucks with loose debris flying out the top are not responsible for breaking others' windshields. How have they not created something sealed over the top of the truck that absolutely prevents this from happening? Those loose flapping, partial canopy coverings don't do much. I've dodged many a piece of rock or debris that comes flying out from under those.

Makes no sense that this is supposed to pass as being okay with everyone.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:37 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Well.....

"I'm sorry" after telling someone that you're having issues with Person, agency, govt..... I mean what are YOU sorry for?
I've been bad lately, responding to people telling me what they like, but what I don't like, "Oh, sorry to hear it . . . BUT THAT'S OK!

Old 11-04-2019, 12:37 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peester View Post
My bad.
Yeah, that sounds ghetto to me, which is fine for those into using ghetto slang or street slang, but that one annoys me.

What happened to simply saying, "I'm sorry," or "pardon me," or "excuse me" or something along those lines?

Another one that irks me is when someone uses the word "so" as a segue into some topic or as a lead-in word to introduce a topic or response of some kind. Why not just state what you want to state without having to first preface it with "so"? Or someone asks a question, and then the respondent uses "so" to introduce what he/she wants to say. That one annoys me for some reason -- I guess because it sounds like such a trendy or millennial way to respond to someone.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:48 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,438,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
Yes! You are so right. I have many a time silently pondered why in the world trucks with loose debris flying out the top are not responsible for breaking others' windshields. How have they not created something sealed over the top of the truck that absolutely prevents this from happening? Those loose flapping, partial canopy coverings don't do much. I've dodged many a piece of rock or debris that comes flying out from under those.

Makes no sense that this is supposed to pass as being okay with everyone.
(I'm sure by now there are people wondering what dump trucks have to do with the thread title)

The takeaway here is just because someone disclaims responsibility for something (whether for vehicle damage or hurt feelings) doesn't mean they are free from liability. Social issues, while more of a gray area than property claims, still have right and wrong.

We've all been warned of the dangers of yes-men, but we also shouldn't surround ourselves with so many naysayers that we begin to second guess things that are legitimately correct. Sound advice can rarely be given in 1 or 2 sentences in passing, which is why it's important to keep good mentors close by.

A good mentor will never leave you doubting their good intentions. If it feels wrong, it's probably wrong, or wrong for you.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:07 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,541,007 times
ANY statement phrase spoken as if it's a question - aka UPTALK:

YouTube video creator: "I have a hard time staying on a diet???? So I now eat 3 meals a day????"

Me: "I don't know....DO YOU??"

Tips described as hacks:

Them: "Guess what? I just heard about this great hack for toasting bread!"

My thought: "um, bread in toaster, depress handle, wait 2 minutes, remove when bread pops up.."

Old 11-04-2019, 01:34 PM

11,130 posts, read 9,769,935 times
It's only a hack if you are using something in a unique or surprising way, or for something other than it's original purpose, such as using your propane torch to toast your bread.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:48 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,063,465 times
-Journal, used as a verb.
-"Welcome in," as in "Welcome in on this Thursday morning." Idk when this became a substitute for "welcome." The local news radio station does it, now a local sports radio station does. Welcome in where?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships