Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2019, 04:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Guilty.

NE Ohio here........... and it sounds perfectly normal to me.

Never thought a thing of it until I saw it mentioned here on CD. Told a few friends about it and they asked "What else would you say?" and when I told them "needs to be" they all said something along the lines of "Huh?"
Oh well, you'll prolly be awright.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:07 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,048,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
"The wife".

I better not ever hear my husband refer to me as " the wife ".

I have a friend who did this and I used to tease him about it!! He even had a ringtone on his phone for when she called, that said "It's the WIFE!"

And I agree about people who refer to their parents as Mommy or Daddy when speaking to non-family members. As in "Daddy always cut down his own Christmas tree."

NO WORDS for people who refer to their spouse as Mommy or Daddy. I guess we can assume the sex life is over? I know a woman who does this and they don't even have kids. Calls her DH "Dad" because he is the cat's dad.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:08 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Probably.
In what language?

I don’t know if people realize how ignorant they sound when they use this word. I’m guessing they’re too busy doing duck face photos to care.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:58 AM

827 posts, read 465,166 times
ddm2k
Yes. I realize preventative is now in some or maybe all dictionaries but I was taught spelling rules back in the stone-age that render preventative an awkward and illegitimate word. There is a verb "prevent". There is no verb "preventate". Now I even see it in official company correspondence. LOL.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:04 AM

88,558 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
In what language?

I don’t know if people realize how ignorant they sound when they use this word. I’m guessing they’re too busy doing duck face photos to care.
I suspect it came from people too lazy to type out 'probably '. Don't think I have ever HEARD anyone say it. Just saw it written.

It's like all those people on the Internet for whom it is just way too onerous to type the 's' when a word ending in 'ist' needs to be made plural.

"Atheist want to tax churches." Really? Just one?

"Terrorist flew planes into the World Trade Center." Really? Just one?

"Fundamentalist don't want gay people to marry." Really? Just one?

Watch for this. You will notice it now, too. That last 's' is just too overwhelming or something.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:10 AM

922 posts, read 791,221 times
I have heard a lot of strange sayings from folks I've met from various parts of the country:

Rural Kansas -

I'll teach him how the cow eats the cabbage (someone needs to be taught a lesson)
Don't get me to lie to you (I don't know the answer to your question)

Pennsylvania-

It's all (meaning all gone)

Wisconsin-

I blow you no horn me (don't honk at me)
Come here once (I need to see you)

Old 11-04-2019, 06:13 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I suspect it came from people too lazy to type out 'probably '. Don't think I have ever HEARD anyone say it. Just saw it written.
Consider yourself lucky! It makes your ears burn.

I had a college professor give zero credit, on a midterm paper, to 22 students who thought it acceptable to use this word in their writing. They were so angry, but the deal support the professor.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:53 AM

88,558 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
I have heard a lot of strange sayings from folks I've met from various parts of the country:

Rural Kansas -

I'll teach him how the cow eats the cabbage (someone needs to be taught a lesson)
Don't get me to lie to you (I don't know the answer to your question)

Pennsylvania-

It's all (meaning all gone)

Wisconsin-

I blow you no horn me (don't honk at me)
Come here once (I need to see you)
I like the cow one!

Old 11-04-2019, 07:06 AM

64 posts, read 29,547 times
I did not read the entire thread, but -

"Let's be honest". What? You were planning on being dishonest?

"Let's be frank."

Old 11-04-2019, 07:18 AM

20,640 posts, read 4,418,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
Git 'er done
The man with the plan always wants to...... Git 'er done!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfbQ81SJn8s

__________________________________________________ __________

Phrases like "shake a leg", "move your @ss", "get the lead out", tend to tick me off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships