Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2019, 01:51 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,413,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
"Make a party" instead of throw a party or give a party. That has always irritated me. However, my linguist daughter has come up with a reason why some people say it this way. In some language groups, the word used for this purpose might translate best to "make".

"I have to go potty" - from an adult. I don't care how many kids or grandchildren you had, it sounds stupid for a grown person to say this.
I work with someone who says, "I have to go to the little girl's room." She is over 50 years old!

Old 11-03-2019, 01:58 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I work with someone who says, "I have to go to the little girl's room." She is over 50 years old!
Almost as bad.

The one I most often hear say "I have to go potty" is 79 now, but I've heard others.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
The phrase that irritates me is one that goes: “Myself and spouse went to. . . “ Or, “Myself and friend talked last night. . . “

Myself used this way is just plain wrong. President Obama used this construction, and I never understood how an educated man could do so. And I see it written in online posts. I occasionally hear it in speech.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:18 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,438,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The phrase that irritates me is one that goes: “Myself and spouse went to. . . “ Or, “Myself and friend talked last night. . . “

Myself used this way is just plain wrong. President Obama used this construction, and I never understood how an educated man could do so. And I see it written in online posts. I occasionally hear it in speech.
If that's the only thing you found, he did a good job (did his job well?).

Curious if that was an oversight by Obama or he got a little too comfortable reading his written speeches verbatim.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:23 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,438,264 times
"Hose pipe" - well... is it flexible or is it rigid?

"Might could" - after raving about this one, my friend filled me in on how this could be a carryover from an old mother tongue where this was appropriate grammar. "Might" may imply competency, and indicate the possibility of willingness, as can "could". Together, to me, it seems to function as "might be able to" indicating there is a possibility that someone may possess the competency or availability to do so.

"Irregardless" - self explanatory

Old 11-03-2019, 02:34 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
One that I've sort of gotten used to over time but that used to make me want to yell, "Stop saying that!" is "gone missing" or "went missing". I never used to hear this phrase unless it was some regional backwoods yokel on TV, but then about ten or fifteen years ago, the phrase began to pop up in people's speech and even started being used by people on the news in the NYC metro area. Before that it was always just "Someone is missing", no "gone" or "went" required.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
If that's the only thing you found, he did a good job (did his job well?).

Curious if that was an oversight by Obama or he got a little too comfortable reading his written speeches verbatim.
I respect and admire President Obama. That speech glitch always stood out to me though.

Old 11-03-2019, 03:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
One that I've sort of gotten used to over time but that used to make me want to yell, "Stop saying that!" is "gone missing" or "went missing". I never used to hear this phrase unless it was some regional backwoods yokel on TV, but then about ten or fifteen years ago, the phrase began to pop up in people's speech and even started being used by people on the news in the NYC metro area. Before that it was always just "Someone is missing", no "gone" or "went" required.
RIGHT. I HATE that.

I also really dislike the phrase "act of terror." No, it's not an act of terror. Terror can't act. It's an act of a TERRORIST.

Old 11-03-2019, 03:12 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,050,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Prince Harry has used this too. "Meghan and myself".

I think people hear this so often that it sounds normal to them.

Old 11-03-2019, 03:12 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,969 times
Ugh, one that I have only recently noticed, I don't know if it is a regional thing or what, but I keep seeing it written: "needs replaced", "needs fixed", "needs renovated", etc. GAWD! "needs to BE replaced, fixed, renovated ..." it drives me nuts.

Last edited by bizcuit; 11-03-2019 at 03:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships