Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2019, 07:31 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times

Advertisements

Myself and John attended the meeting.

Old 11-02-2019, 07:57 AM

20,671 posts, read 4,436,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
“No problem”, when used instead of “You’re welcome.”
What's wrong with it?

How I usually use both, is by situation.

Holding a door for someone: No problem
Helping someone carrying boxes/groceries: You’re welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
-moms who refer to themselves as “mama bear” as in “this mama bear will come after you if you mess with my babies.”
This is just a PC term to rationalize crazy mothers actions. I'm just surprised it hasn't been gotten more
ridiculous and become "Child Guardian Bear".

Quote:
Originally Posted by delunsa View Post
I can't stand the acronyms 'DH' and 'DW' people constantly use on here. Sounds fake.
I always wondered about those too. At first I had no clue what it meant. But onetime someone else
asked another poster what the DH meant. The poster replied DH mean Dear Husband.

But I don't by into that crap. I think those actually have three (four) meanings each.

DH: Dear, Dumb, Damn/Dang Husband
DW: Dear, Dumb, Damn/Dang Wife

That's if we're being honest.

I tend to use a phrase(s) that can confuse some people.

so/so, yes/no, kinda

IE:

Did you like the new movie? yes/no
yes: plot, action
no: actor/actress

Old 11-02-2019, 08:06 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post

I always wondered about those too. At first I had no clue what it meant. But onetime someone else
asked another poster what the DH meant. The poster replied DH mean Dear Husband.

But I don't by into that crap. I think those actually have three (four) meanings each.

DH: Dear, Dumb, Damn/Dang Husband
DW: Dear, Dumb, Damn/Dang Wife

That's if we're being honest.
C'mon guys, those are just holdovers from leet speek, back when paring down your text because of cost was a concern. Simple acronyms for referring to people without having to spell it out every time. I guess people could have used W, H, D and S but that just looks silly.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:49 AM

49 posts, read 31,158 times
It's not that I hate hearing this phrase, but that I hate hearing it used incorrectly, which is probably about 90% or more of the time:

"Begs the question."

Old 11-02-2019, 10:45 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's silly logic. Why does the sentence have to remain the same whether you are referring to yourself and Bobby versus just yourself? If you were to say "Bobby and I hurt ourselves" does that mean without Bobby it would be "I hurt ourselves"?
Seriously? No, you would say, "I hurt myself." Did you ever take an English class?

Old 11-02-2019, 11:23 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
-“he did a 360” when talking about people making a change. Then he’s facing the same direction he started from. He did a 180 if he changed.
This one gets my attention every time. I wonder if the people who use it have ever given the phrase any thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Really? You think proper language sounds ridiculous? How odd.
Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Reach out, as in: I'm going to 'reach out' to.....'
Yes, this one. And a lot of other corporate speak. One in particular that bugs me for some reason is "Going forward..." instead of "From now on...".

Old 11-02-2019, 11:43 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,800,444 times
Just thought of another one...: "At the end of the day" as in.."At the end of the day, it doesn't matter.....

Old 11-02-2019, 05:55 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delunsa View Post
I can't stand the acronyms 'DH' and 'DW' people constantly use on here. Sounds fake.
It's not fake. It's shorthand.

DH = Darling husband

DW = Darling wife

Old 11-02-2019, 11:47 PM

914 posts, read 643,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
It's not fake. It's shorthand.

DH = Darling husband

DW = Darling wife
interesting. I thought it mean Dear Hubby, etc...

why not just say hubby? wife? It annoys me too and I'm not sure why, lol I've considered referring to him in terms of endearment but it does sound fake. It's not yet required, so therefore I refer to them in normal terms.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:11 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,295,718 times
I used to be bothered by "Have a nice day." I've gotten over that one. I'm still kind of bothered by "How are you?" when it's not a real question.

-using "a ton" to mean a lot
-using subject pronouns as objects (especially as objects of prepositions!)
-overuse of "mother" and "grandmother" in news stories and headlines, when being a mother/grandmother has absolutely nothing to do with the story
-bad math: "200% less . . ." (generally not possible), "3 times more" (when it's really three times as much)
-a server at a restaurant asking if I'm doing all right, or how I'm doing

Last edited by sll3454; 11-03-2019 at 12:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships