Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 01:08 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
''They're in our thoughts and prayers".

This phrase is massively overused, to the point of almost being insulting when it's thrown out there. Why can't people say what they REALLY think when terrible things happen? An example would be instead of using that stupid line in regards to a mass shooting, why don't news reporters and politicians say something like this: "The absolute P.O.S. who shot these people deserves to be shot in the town square and placed to wave in the wind. There is nothing we can say to make their families and friends feel any better and we are so sorry we don't have the words."

I'd respect people a lot more for saying what is really on their minds, that's the truth.
Amen to this.

When I'm grieving and reaching out to friends, and the best they've got is "In our hearts and minds" I tend to just skip on by, because I'm looking for solace and hope, maybe. All the little praying hands emojis, and trite little "I'll pray for you" ...it just doesn't really cut it.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:14 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
Oh, and I forgot to mention this: "It's not personal, it's just business." Newsflash- whether they are in the right or not, whatever it is IS personal to whoever this is directed to. It seems like a phrase people use to justify whatever they are doing, while knowing that it will upset someone.

I'm not saying that it is never true or applicable, but there are definitely times that phrase is used as a shield for people to feel okay about screwing someone else over.

Reminds me of 3 of my cousins. All 3 of them sisters, and all three of them married successful men.

One of them owned a bank. The other 2 husbands (and their wives) purposely put him out of business, to the point my cousin and him had to file bankruptcy. They just laughed and said "it's just business." Somehow, she forgave.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:36 PM

4,242 posts, read 948,192 times
Supposably

So I'm like "No way!" and then he's like "No, it's true!" then I'm like "Where did you hear that?" and then he's like "I don't remember" and then I'm like ...

I can't stand no worries either because I'm hardly ever worried about it

Old 11-01-2019, 01:48 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
Sometimes I feel that grammar which is actually correct, but used so seldom, sounds "wrong". And it annoys me when people say things correctly, because it sounds so foreign.

" ... The country TO WHICH he was traveling."

How are you? "I am WELL, thanks."

It gives me the impression not that the person is being pretentious, but I am simply puzzled why they feel compelled to speak that way - I cannot imagine an informal conversation taking place using such phrasing. It would sound so stuffy, like you're reading off a page instead of speaking your mind.

Actual incorrect grammar, even hypercorrection, doesn't bother me nearly as much, if at all.

FWIW I am from the southeast US.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:03 PM

330 posts, read 178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Sometimes I feel that grammar which is actually correct, but used so seldom, sounds "wrong". And it annoys me when people say things correctly, because it sounds so foreign.

" ... The country TO WHICH he was traveling."

How are you? "I am WELL, thanks."

It gives me the impression not that the person is being pretentious, but I am simply puzzled why they feel compelled to speak that way - I cannot imagine an informal conversation taking place using such phrasing. It would sound so stuffy, like you're reading off a page instead of speaking your mind.

Actual incorrect grammar, even hypercorrection, doesn't bother me nearly as much, if at all.

FWIW I am from the southeast US.
"Me and Bobby went ..."

"Bobby and I" sounds ridiculous.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:04 PM

1,227 posts, read 634,264 times
Asking, "Where do you stay at?" Is this person a life long couch surfer? Instead of asking, "Where do you live?"

Old 11-01-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delunsa View Post
"Me and Bobby went ..."

"Bobby and I" sounds ridiculous.
"TO WHOM should I make this check out?"

"My wife or MYSELF"

Old 11-01-2019, 02:13 PM

330 posts, read 178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
Asking, "Where do you stay at?" Is this person a life long couch surfer? Instead of asking, "Where do you live?"
Yeah, that one's pretty ghetto.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:30 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,391,897 times
Have a blessed day.

I am going to say a prayer for you.

Sending prayers your way!

Old 11-01-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Have a blessed day.

I am going to say a prayer for you.

Sending prayers your way!
Thoughts and prayers

Obligatory empathy
and it's killing me to even do this much
Now go away

Pretty sure that was scary close to a haiku, and accurately echoes the sentiment behind such remarks.

I believe it's a misconception that things like "Bless your heart" mean "FU" but it's more dismissive than anything. "Oh, that's terrible! Moving on..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships