Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 08:24 AM

453 posts, read 345,594 times

Advertisements

"Back in my day" and "well, when I was your age..."

"Not my job, not my problem"

Old 11-01-2019, 08:51 AM

703 posts, read 613,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Funny, but a perfect storm, to me, is the perfect way to describe when a set of circumstances come together to cause something to happen.
Yes, but the implication is the thing that's about to happen is indeed grave or serious. Implied by use of the word "storm." But you're both right. The media people over-use it mostly in the sense that when they call something a perfect storm, it's really not. They're just over-hyping it.

My two:

1) Related to "perfect storm." When people call something "Awesome." They usually mean it's just OK or pretty good. It's not anywhere near actually "awesome." It's more ubiquitous and less relevant or descriptive than "groovy" was 50 yrs ago.

2) When people say "Most everyone does it." Or: Most everyone from the office will be there."

What they mean is: "Almost everyone does it." i.e. 95% or something Or: "Most people do it." i.e. Something over 50% do it

Old 11-01-2019, 09:12 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
Yeah I dislike "It is what it is" as well. Just seems like "I don't care to fix or address this"
I tend to think of it as a way to tell someone to quit their griping about something that can't be changed, and I'll admit to using it when someone is getting on my nerves with their incessant kvetching about something. Beats telling them to shut up.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:35 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Also very overused, I think, is “absolutely”, when a simple yes would do.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:38 AM

330 posts, read 178,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Also very overused, I think, is “absolutely”, when a simple yes would do.
It's only cool when Rocky uses it.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:50 AM

77 posts, read 53,105 times
“Roll with the punches.”
We don’t always have to adapt to difficult or unpleasant situations. Positive solutions can often be found.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:54 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,130,558 times
There's a bunch of them.

"You are not supposed to judge...". Which is completely an inaccurate accounting of what the Bible said. The phrase seems to have exploded in the age of "tolerance". Christ tells us to be discerning without being a hypocrite which is the point of the passage. Of course we are supposed to judge right from wrong or truth from error. We should always make judgement and point out errors, otherwise there would be no truth. This one drives me the most crazy.

"They are extremist"... So over-used it doesn't even mean anything anymore. We will need a new word once that time arrives.

"The Lord will never give you more then you can handle...". Again completely inaccurate. No where does it say that. In fact, life may give you more then you can handle. It's what you do with it that matters. That's the actual point.

"Not my job". As a manager I hate this phrase with a passion. People, if you only do "your job" or stay within your job description, you will never be promoted because you are doing the same job you were hired for and no more. I have had employees say those words for ten years and then wonder why they don't get promoted or a bigger raise. I tell them because you have done your first year ten times over.

My most hated is the use of "You know" constantly while talking.

...and sometimes it really "is what it is". I'll confess, I use that one. Usually when it's out of my control, I wish it wasn't, but what can you do.

Last edited by 2Loud; 11-01-2019 at 10:04 AM..

Old 11-01-2019, 10:12 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,004,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I tend to think of it as a way to tell someone to quit their griping about something that can't be changed, and I'll admit to using it when someone is getting on my nerves with their incessant kvetching about something. Beats telling them to shut up.
The alternative to "It is what it is" that I try to remember to use is "Sometimes you have to accept the things you can't change."

Old 11-01-2019, 10:16 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,794,522 times
"Everything happens for a reason". Thats the most over said BS phrase said just to make someone feel better. The truth is there isn't always a reason bad things happen and I get so sick of hearing there is.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:24 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,461,394 times
"It is what it is."
"I beg to differ!"
The above from someone that personally irritated me.

"Taken for granite"
(s/b) "Taken for granted"
The above from someone I like and never felt the burning need to correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships