Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2019, 09:09 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
"Bobby McGee & I" never would have become as popular a song...
It also wouldn't have been grammatically correct that way.

It is correctly sung "...good enough for me and Bobby McGee," just as one would say "good enough for ME," not "good enough for I."

Old 11-03-2019, 09:25 AM

3,253 posts, read 2,340,472 times
It bothers me when people say 'supposibly' when they mean supposedly. I can forgive kids but 50 year old adults?

Old 11-03-2019, 09:47 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,141,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
Speaking of servers, these days they all seem to be saying "I'll be taking care of you".

I never even used that phrase when I was an RN actually "taking care" of people. "I'm Nefret and I'll be your nurse today."

I like my favorite Indian restaurant. No introductions, no constantly asking how everything is going, are you still working on that, etc., no taking away diner's plates while others are still eating. Just unobtrusive, competent service, alert to what is needed without constantly butting into our conversation.
Except your limited definition there is not exclusive to what the term "taking care" means.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:03 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,438,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've lived in the south nearly my entire life and no, "pan," "pen" and "pin" do not sound the same anywhere. "Pen" and "pin" do, but not "pan." Sorry. But two outta three ain't bad.
Piedmont of NC here, "pee-yin" and "pay-yan" aren't always distinguishable from one another to mine ears.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
It also wouldn't have been grammatically correct that way.

It is correctly sung "...good enough for me and Bobby McGee," just as one would say "good enough for ME," not "good enough for I."
Nor "Bobby McGee & Me" (though that does sound like a really good TV show)

Old 11-03-2019, 01:22 PM

88,594 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
significant other makes me cringe.
This one's awkward, but I use it sometimes because "boyfriend" sounds weird when he's 68 years old.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD60 View Post
It's not that I hate hearing this phrase, but that I hate hearing it used incorrectly, which is probably about 90% or more of the time:

"Begs the question."
I was wondering if anyone else was going to post this, otherwise I would have.

It's getting worse. People are using it left and right to mean "raises the question". I even saw it in an article in Crain's, the weekly business publication, and it irritated me so much to see it there that I wrote to the author of the article with a link to what the phrase means. He responded and thanked me.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was wondering if anyone else was going to post this, otherwise I would have.

It's getting worse. People are using it left and right to mean "raises the question". I even saw it in an article in Crain's, the weekly business publication, and it irritated me so much to see it there that I wrote to the author of the article with a link to what the phrase means. He responded and thanked me.
Beg pardons and raise questions! (The English major's equivalent of kicking a-- and taking names...)

Old 11-03-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delunsa View Post
I can't stand the acronyms 'DH' and 'DW' people constantly use on here. Sounds fake.
When I first joined CD and saw the 'DH' thing, I wondered why it was a thing for women to refer to their husbands as dick heads. Seriously!

Old 11-03-2019, 01:46 PM

"Make a party" instead of throw a party or give a party. That has always irritated me. However, my linguist daughter has come up with a reason why some people say it this way. In some language groups, the word used for this purpose might translate best to "make".

"I have to go potty" - from an adult. I don't care how many kids or grandchildren you had, it sounds stupid for a grown person to say this.

My ears have been assaulted lately with words and phrases that make me wince, but I'm going there willingly. I listen to a true crime podcast that's presented by two young women from Indiana. I love the podcasts, but some of the words and phrases are painful to hear.

"Supposably".

"1 a.m. in the morning"

"Acrossed the street"

"Fermiliar"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships