Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 03:25 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delunsa View Post
"Me and Bobby went ..."

"Bobby and I" sounds ridiculous.
Really? You think proper language sounds ridiculous? How odd.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:34 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,004,124 times
These are so funny -- so many of them sound to me like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Here's one that always makes me cringe: "Could be worse!" Of course it could be worse, but that doesn't make this situation any better.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:57 PM

330 posts, read 178,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Really? You think proper language sounds ridiculous? How odd.
That specific phrase does.

Old 11-01-2019, 04:09 PM

21,945 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Needless to say....then why are you saying it?

It is what it is.

Old 11-01-2019, 04:26 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewhatwho View Post
"Back in my day" and "well, when I was your age..."

Now that I'm in my 70s I've become the guy who says that all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewhatwho View Post

"Not my job, not my problem"

I think these days it's "Not my circus, not my monkey."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im45us View Post
My wife hates " It's all good" .

Me, too. Usually said repeatedly after something bad happens.

My usual cringe goes to "from whence." "Whence" already means "from where." As in "return whence you came."

Speaking of redundancies:

ATM Machine.
PIN Number
VIN Number

Many more such phrases are out there. They suffer from Redundant Acronym System (RAS) which is ironically titled on Wikipedia and other sites as RAS Syndrome. Go figure.

Last edited by adjusterjack; 11-01-2019 at 04:45 PM..

Old 11-01-2019, 04:53 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delunsa View Post
That specific phrase does.
If you take out the part about "Bobby" think of how ridiculous it would sound. "Me and Bobby" vs "Bobby and I."

Then you will see how ridiculous it sounds. You would never say, "Me went somewhere." And thus you would never say, "Bobby and me went somewhere."

You would say, "I went somewhere." Or else you would say, "Bobby and I went somewhere."

Same thing as if you were tagging yourself in a facebook picture or something like that. So many people say things like, "Here's a picture of Bobby and I." That's totally wrong. You would never say (hopefully - lol) "Here's a picture of I." You would say, "Here's a picture of me."

Old 11-01-2019, 05:09 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
If you take out the part about "Bobby" think of how ridiculous it would sound. "Me and Bobby" vs "Bobby and I."

Then you will see how ridiculous it sounds. You would never say, "Me went somewhere." And thus you would never say, "Bobby and me went somewhere."

You would say, "I went somewhere." Or else you would say, "Bobby and I went somewhere."

That's silly logic. Why does the sentence have to remain the same whether you are referring to yourself and Bobby versus just yourself? If you were to say "Bobby and I hurt ourselves" does that mean without Bobby it would be "I hurt ourselves"?

Old 11-01-2019, 05:10 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,438,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Now that I'm in my 70s I've become the guy who says that all the time.

I think these days it's "Not my circus, not my monkey."

Me, too. Usually said repeatedly after something bad happens.

My usual cringe goes to "from whence." "Whence" already means "from where." As in "return whence you came."

Speaking of redundancies:

ATM Machine.
PIN Number
VIN Number

Many more such phrases are out there. They suffer from Redundant Acronym System (RAS) which is ironically titled on Wikipedia and other sites as RAS Syndrome. Go figure.
Redundancies sound ridiculous until you think about why they came about in the first place. People simply weren't paying enough attention in the conversation and would always "huh?" when you just say ATM or VIN or PIN. Or wondered what a needle had to do with their account... and it stuck.

Again, probably having something to do with the south, some words are bolstered by partnered words to clarify what it is:

INK PEN: pin/pan/pen all sound the same in twang, do you mean a FRYING pan, INK pen, or SAFETY pin?

CHEWING GUM: gum/gun (we love our guns) you just don't want to get this one wrong when asking for some gum...

Old 11-01-2019, 05:11 PM

330 posts, read 178,932 times
Quote:

Same thing as if you were tagging yourself in a facebook picture or something like that. So many people say things like, "Here's a picture of Bobby and I." That's totally wrong. You would never say (hopefully - lol) "Here's a picture of I." You would say, "Here's a picture of me."
Noted.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:11 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,660,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Oh, where do I start?

-pronouncing the “t” in often

-“he did a 360” when talking about people making a change. Then he’s facing the same direction he started from. He did a 180 if he changed.

-calling a SO “my lady” makes me cringe.

-moms who refer to themselves as “mama bear” as in “this mama bear will come after you if you mess with my babies.”
significant other makes me cringe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships