Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2019, 06:09 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's silly logic. Why does the sentence have to remain the same whether you are referring to yourself and Bobby versus just yourself? If you were to say "Bobby and I hurt ourselves" does that mean without Bobby it would be "I hurt ourselves"?
I can’t tell if you’re being deliberately thick or missed school when this was taught.

“Me” is never the subject of a sentence. You wouldn’t say “I hurt ourselves “ because that doesn’t make sense. You would say “I hurt myself.” Please tell me you wouldn’t say, “Me hurt myself.”

Back to other annoying phrases.

-“don’t have enough bandwidth.” Just tell me you’re too busy.

-using “like” parenthetically. “I was, like, you’re totally kidding. And she was, like, no, it’s true.” This is a problem particularly with those under 30 I find.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:14 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,873 times
Quote:
Actually, I gave you an example that proves it is not the grammar rule.
Songwriters are given artistic liberty. I bet Kris Kristofferson says,”Bobby and I” in his everyday life, especially since he’s a Rhodes scholar.

But you keep doing you. (That’s probably a phrase that nosy)

Old 11-01-2019, 06:18 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
“Me” is never the subject of a sentence. You wouldn’t say “I hurt ourselves “ because that doesn’t make sense. You would say “I hurt myself.” Please tell me you wouldn’t say, “Me hurt myself.”

I didn't say anything about "me". I gave you an example that shows that the rest of the sentence does not have to remain the same if the subject changes.

Old 11-02-2019, 05:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Life's too short to sweat the small stuff.
"...and it's all small stuff."

Um, no it's not. Some stuff is big, overwhelming, horrible, disastrous.

Old 11-02-2019, 05:24 AM

"Live, laugh, love."

Don't say it, don't think it, and DON'T BUY A SIGN WITH THIS ON IT TO HANG IN YOUR HOUSE!

Old 11-02-2019, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delunsa View Post
"Me and Bobby went ..."

"Bobby and I" sounds ridiculous.
Really? I don't think so. I think "me and Bobby went" sounds gooberish though.

"Bobby and I went to the store." vs. "Me and Bobby went to the store." I'll take #1, please.

Old 11-02-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
That's silly logic. Why does the sentence have to remain the same whether you are referring to yourself and Bobby versus just yourself? If you were to say "Bobby and I hurt ourselves" does that mean without Bobby it would be "I hurt ourselves"?
It's not silly logic - it's grammar. And you'd say "I hurt myself." So "I" rather than "me" would be correct.

Old 11-02-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Redundancies sound ridiculous until you think about why they came about in the first place. People simply weren't paying enough attention in the conversation and would always "huh?" when you just say ATM or VIN or PIN. Or wondered what a needle had to do with their account... and it stuck.

Again, probably having something to do with the south, some words are bolstered by partnered words to clarify what it is:

INK PEN: pin/pan/pen all sound the same in twang, do you mean a FRYING pan, INK pen, or SAFETY pin?

CHEWING GUM: gum/gun (we love our guns) you just don't want to get this one wrong when asking for some gum...
I've lived in the south nearly my entire life and no, "pan," "pen" and "pin" do not sound the same anywhere. "Pen" and "pin" do, but not "pan." Sorry. But two outta three ain't bad.

Old 11-02-2019, 06:59 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,056,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Sounds worse than the "not my job"

I think these days it's "Not my circus, not my monkey."

My favorite is "That sounds like a YOU problem and not a ME problem."

Gotta agree with "whence", one of my betes noires.

I have no problem with people saying "no problem" instead of "You're welcome." I like to think the sentiment is the same, it's just a matter of semantics and what people are used to saying. As long as they are not telling me "Sod off, you crazy old lady", I am happy.

and apropos of I vs. me, the other side of the coin is people who feel that "me" is inexcusably vulgar, so you get sentences like, "Could you bring my friend and I our menus please?"

Old 11-02-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post

and apropos of I vs. me, the other side of the coin is people who feel that "me" is inexcusably vulgar, so you get sentences like, "Could you bring my friend and I our menus please?"
Sigh. THAT sounds pretentious to me and irritates the heck out of me! LEARN THE RULES OF GRAMMAR, PEOPLE, AND THIS WON'T HAPPEN.

"Could you bring ME my menu, please?"

I actually have a daughter who somehow got this sideways and she's always saying things like "This is a picture of my husband and I" or "Can you take my friend and I to the airport?" Stuff like that. I thought I taught her better than that! (Is that a dangling preposition? By "that" I mean "THAT!")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships