Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2019, 05:34 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Myself and John attended the meeting.
Keep your self at home, and keep your eye on John at the meeting.

Krecktion! Krektion!

Old 11-03-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD60 View Post
It's not that I hate hearing this phrase, but that I hate hearing it used incorrectly, which is probably about 90% or more of the time:

"Begs the question."
Well, that begs an answer. If I invented that, I want the credit.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Oh my gosh, I hate this one:

"I'm going to the store - wanna go with?"

SHUT UP!!!! If I did before you said that, I sure don't want to now!

And this isn't a phrase but I hate hate hate when I hear it:

"Oh, I love you ki-en." (Instead of "kitten.") Or "I di-in know about that." (Instead of "didn't.") Or "I was in the mi-il of the room." (Instead of "middle.") Why are more people suddenly dropping the consonents in the "mi-il" of words? My gosh, it makes them sound like they are about 4 years old with a slight speech impediment. Or rather "im-pe-i-ment."

Old 11-03-2019, 05:50 AM

49 posts, read 31,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I used to be bothered by "Have a nice day." I've gotten over that one. I'm still kind of bothered by "How are you?" when it's not a real question.

-using "a ton" to mean a lot
-using subject pronouns as objects (especially as objects of prepositions!)
-overuse of "mother" and "grandmother" in news stories and headlines, when being a mother/grandmother has absolutely nothing to do with the story
-bad math: "200% less . . ." (generally not possible), "3 times more" (when it's really three times as much)
-a server at a restaurant asking if I'm doing all right, or how I'm doing
Worse: Server asking "How are we doing?" or, "What are we having this evening?"

We are not dining together...

Old 11-03-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I also hate "a ton" to mean a lot of.

One that bugs me lately is the overuse of "myself". As in "here's a picture of Joe and myself".

And for many years have heard the following:

"How are you today?".

"Fine, yourself?" Instead of "Fine, and you?"

I know---picky, picky.
My mother was lying on her back coming out of a brain hemorrhage and when the nurse' aid asked her, "How do you feel?", my mother answered, "With my hands".

SHE WAS BACK!

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 11-03-2019 at 06:15 AM..

Old 11-03-2019, 05:58 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,413,789 times
Quote:

Let us not forget this one: "Are we still working on that?"

Old 11-03-2019, 07:08 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,141,307 times
Quote:

It's a colloquial term meant to engender familiarity and sense of purpose. Your server is akin to a host at a party. Your server can have a huge impact on how that dining experience goes, so while not sitting to eat with you, yes, that server has the same vested interest as the rest of the "we" at the table for a good dining experience.

Also:

A) Your server talks to hundreds of people a day. They may be trying to switch things up to reduce their own monotony.

B) Your server talks to hundreds of people a day, so clearly, as evidenced by this thread, everything that server says could, at some point, annoy someone throughout that day.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:15 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,660 times
Default Cliches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
Are there any phrases that people say that annoy/irritate you?

A few I am tired of hearing -

"If I could tell my younger self... "

"At the end of the day..."

Cliches are what floats my boat. Sentences made from cliches strung together too; of course its always darkest before the dawn, but hope springs eternal until or unless the fat lady sings.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:32 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,050,475 times
Speaking of servers, these days they all seem to be saying "I'll be taking care of you".

I never even used that phrase when I was an RN actually "taking care" of people. "I'm Nefret and I'll be your nurse today."

I like my favorite Indian restaurant. No introductions, no constantly asking how everything is going, are you still working on that, etc., no taking away diner's plates while others are still eating. Just unobtrusive, competent service, alert to what is needed without constantly butting into our conversation.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:25 AM

922 posts, read 792,451 times
Git 'er done

Chop-chop!

I'll holler at you later

Nu-cu-lar instead of nu-cle-ar

When people write "n" or "an" instead of "and"

It's all good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships