Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2019, 04:13 PM

88,613 posts, read 84,857,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I have a question ... which of the following sentences are correct?

1. I graduated from high school in 1990.
2. I was graduated from high school in 1990.

I recall an English teacher who asserted only #2 was correct.

Similarly, that teacher taught us that when most people use the phrase, "Hopefully, xxxxxx" they almost always should say "I hope xxxxxx" instead.

What say you?
I had a writing workshop instructor who told me that "Hopefully", which I used way too much, implies something personal that one is hopeful about. "Hopefully, I'll be pregnant this year" is therefore OK, while "Hopefully, the war in Bermuda ends soon" should be "I hope the war in Bermuda ends soon."

Old 11-04-2019, 04:16 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
It bothers me when people say, "a light bulb went off" when describing when an idea, realization or epiphany happened. Shouldn't be, "a light bulb went on"? I mean, the light bulb goes off and you are in the dark. A light bulb goes on and you can see.
Good point.

Closely related: "based off". Things better be based ON something or gravity is going to cause a real problem.

And "play a factor" instead of "play a role/part" or "be a factor".

And: "Yeah; no." What in the world?

Finally: "confirm whether" instead of "confirm that". Since confirming means determining that something presumed to be true *is* true, it's inconsistent with the equivocation inherent in "whether".

Old 11-04-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I have a question ... which of the following sentences are correct?

1. I graduated from high school in 1990.
2. I was graduated from high school in 1990.
The second is better in the sense that it better describes what happened. Almost anything can become "correct" over time with enough support in popular usage, including usage #1 above, but if you read my diploma and translate it from Latin to English you will learn that my alma mater honored/decorated me with the grade/degree of bachelor of arts. The university was the actor; I wasn't.

Of course, in deciding how you want to say it you will probably want to consider the fact that most people will find #2 strange, and some of those same people will turn up their noses at people who say, "I graduated high school in 1990."

Old 11-04-2019, 04:35 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Good point.

Closely related: "based off". Things better be based ON something or gravity is going to cause a real problem.

And "play a factor" instead of "play a role/part" or "be a factor".

And: "Yeah; no." What in the world?

Finally: "confirm whether" instead of "confirm that". Since confirming means determining that something presumed to be true *is* true, it's inconsistent with the equivocation inherent in "whether".
LOL!

Ending a sentence in "so", and not poetically:

"Yeah/no I'm just gonna take off of work so......" *people staring, waiting for sentence to be finished*

*black hole forms*

Old 11-04-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
originally posted by hyperthetic
my mother was lying on her back coming out of a brain hemorrhage and when the nurse' aid asked her, "how do you feel?", my mother answered, "with my hands".
I think we might be related.

And going all the way back to post #5:

Quote:
originally posted by reebo

-“he did a 360” when talking about people making a change. Then he’s facing the same direction he started from. He did a 180 if he changed.
When I was really little and my mom was dressing me and she told me to turn around, I'd do the 360. Her instruction was ambiguous, right?.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had a writing workshop instructor who told me that "Hopefully", which I used way too much, implies something personal that one is hopeful about. "Hopefully, I'll be pregnant this year" is therefore OK, while "Hopefully, the war in Bermuda ends soon" should be "I hope the war in Bermuda ends soon."
I was taught not you use hopefully at all. But of course I do.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:26 PM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Have a good rest of your day!

We have perfectly good words for the 'rest of your day'....afternoon, evening, and even....day.

And I'm flabbergasted by the number of educated people I encounter who use the word amount instead of number.
Hahaha, I don't like or use that, but almost all of my co-workers do. It has to do with being in an enclosed space and not knowing the specific time of day, while having to deal with endless streams of people. I've had more than a few strange looks form people when I've told them to have a good morning or afternoon and it's hours upon hours past that time of day. I guess my co-workers feel safer using a non specific phrase. I'll sometimes use 'enjoy the rest of your day', I think it sounds much better.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:38 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,984,194 times
It is what it is

Old 11-04-2019, 05:40 PM

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times
First of all, I don't like "FIRST OF ALL . . . "

Old 11-04-2019, 05:45 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,602,397 times
Sally is OCD.

No, Sally is not a disorder. Sally HAS OCD. Sally could be OC, but not OCD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships