Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2019, 06:10 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieThruTheGlass View Post
Baby mama/baby daddy. (yeah, I know it's part of the urban "cultural" slang, but come on!)

And, last of all, although this one is finally coming to the end of its lifespan (we hope): "It is what it is."

I certainly hope so!

Old 11-06-2019, 06:35 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
When we first moved to eastern NC, I felt like I was living in another country. You "carry" your young'uns to school, you're "fixin to" go to the Piggly Wiggly and they never asked "where do you live", it was always where do you stay?" The glove box was the "boot" and "down the road apiece" was common. Drove me nuts and made the people talking sound so illiterate. I couldn't wait to leave there but we wound up living there 9 years.

Another one that is annoying is saying ax instead of ask. "I axed her if she wanted to go shopping with me?". What is that all about?
It's an old English form of "ask" used by some dialects in the British isles that apparently carried down over the centuries into certain groups in the United States. It's even spelled "aks" in some old documents.

It's a good idea to remember that linguistically speaking, there is no one "correct" way to speak a language, and language changes constantly. The "correct" form of English or any other language is that which comes to be known as correct by the speakers of the language who are in power or otherwise prominent in society.

However, that perception of correct English is codified, and we make judgments based on the way a person speaks. I had a coworker in a high-level position who grew up in the Bronx, and he said "ax" for "ask" and "birfday" and other forms of words usually associated with African-American speech, but he wasn't black.

As for the others, that "I need a place to stay" business pops up on the NJ forum from time to time. Many times it is used that way by immigrants from India, I've noticed. "Stay" sort of infers that someone is looking for a temporary place, not a place to live. Which is odd in itself because "stay" does not really mean temporary. But in most parts of the country, we "stay" at a hotel, and we "live" in our house.

English is a strange language.

I've told this story before about traveling through Georgia on our way to Florida with my parents when I was a teen. We pulled into a gas station in the early evening, and this man came out and said to my father, "Weezafixinfotoclosenow". My father asked him to repeat what he said, and he repeated, "Weezafixinfotoclose". I can remember the confused looks on both my parents' faces, and then suddenly I got it. "They're closing, Dad!" Then the man nodded and said something to the effect that they'd already turned off the pumps.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:36 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
I also don't like 'baby bump', as someone else said upthread. It sounds like a tumor.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:04 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,056,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I also don't like 'baby bump', as someone else said upthread. It sounds like a tumor.
Can't rep you again. Old enough here to remember when we didn't NEED a term for baby bump. We noticed when ladies were pregnant but we didn't go around discussing their bodies in public at length.

"looks like Mary is expecting." Yup, that just about covered it.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:05 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Well, this year, 4 blue jays from nowhere drop in about 8 times a day to relish my bird feeder!

They're grabbing and flying off with all the peanuts I leave there for the squirrels - they make more efficient trips than the squirrels can keep up with.

A guy in Kansas accuses ME of being a blue jay!

https://www.audubon.org/magazine/sep...y-birders-love
I'm right smack dab in the middle of their wintering range!

I never noticed it before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_j...y-rangemap.png

Old 11-06-2019, 10:13 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,640,648 times
"My [your, his, her] truth"

The truth is the truth; it is not subject to our individual whims and fancies.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:15 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
I'm right smack dab in the middle of their wintering range!

I never noticed it before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_j...y-rangemap.png
This could mean something about me.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:33 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,640,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
“No problem”, when used instead of “You’re welcome.”
How do you feel about "My pleasure" when used the same way?

Old 11-06-2019, 10:45 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
The phrase that bothers me — “curated” collection. I’ve seen a number of stores out here using this term and to me it means they don’t have enough money to carry stock. Not to mention, VERY pretentious.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:02 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,865,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
How do you feel about "My pleasure" when used the same way?

That sounds fine! Now that I think about it, "no problem" was often used sarcastically when I was younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships