Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2019, 01:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
I don't think this one has shown up in this discussion yet. Maybe I'm the only one it bothers: Gift as a verb. I only started noticing it, mostly online, in the last few years. It grates on me for some reason. "She gifted me a gift card". Ugh.

In a typical Canadian mish-mash of US and UK, "burnt" is common, but not learnt or smelt as much. So I'd be likely to say "I smelled burnt popcorn".
I have wondered about using gift as a verb. It is used all the time, so I think we will have to get used to hearing it. I think using gift as a verb does convey a shade of meaning, however. Gifting conveys a more specific act than giving does. In order to convey the same meaning using the verb give, you would have to say giving a gift.

At any rate English usage and vocabulary constantly change.

She gifted me a beautiful porcelain bowl.

She gave me her loose change.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I consider myself rather particular about correct spelling and grammar in general, but reading this thread makes me feel I must be part hillbilly or uncouth or annoying, or all three!. I say many of the things that so many of you have complained about, at least occasionally.

I think what annoys me is when I hear any phrase (even ones that I use) excessively. But I'll admit I've been know to *occasionally* say "it is what it is," "So.....," "With that being said," etc.

I do find "learnings" as a noun annoying, but languages change. English does have a lot of "-ing" words that can function as a verb or a noun. Maybe once upon a time today's -ing nouns were only verbs. I don't know. I'm thinking of words like cleaning, decorating, wrestling, painting, etc.
It us what it is is my mantra. Too bad if someone else hates my saying it.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:00 PM

351 posts, read 272,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevv View Post
"agree to disagree"

To me that says I am right and you are wrong but I will no longer discuss it.
I agree, that is so annoying when people say that.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:21 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevv View Post
"agree to disagree"

To me that says I am right and you are wrong but I will no longer discuss it.
I think that phrase has its place. When I have used it, I didn't mean (or think) "I am right and you are wrong." I would just mean we had exhausted the subject, we view it differently, but that's okey dokey.
I intend it to be an "olive branch."

Old 11-08-2019, 02:23 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
"Will you bring me home?" instead of "Will you take me home?"

"I told her I would bring her home." instead of "I told her I would take her home."

Old 11-08-2019, 02:32 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
It us what it is is my mantra. Too bad if someone else hates my saying it.
It us what it is ? LOL

Old 11-08-2019, 03:45 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,702,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
Supposably

So I'm like "No way!" and then he's like "No, it's true!" then I'm like "Where did you hear that?" and then he's like "I don't remember" and then I'm like ...

I can't stand no worries either because I'm hardly ever worried about it
Hahaha so true.

In music, the word "Well" at the beginning of a lyric sentence is way overused. I don't mind it.

"Well, she was just 17..."

Old 11-08-2019, 03:47 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,702,142 times
Quote:
At any rate English usage and vocabulary constantly change.
"At any rate??"

Watch it! I don't like that one either

Old 11-08-2019, 05:09 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
There are many idiomatic language usages that do not make grammatical sense. I imagine there are many in British English as well.
Of course there are, you’re spot on about that. Even more so with British English, although I speak Australian English, which is another level entirely of colloquilist mangling. I think when you haven’t grown up with certain idioms they take a bit of getting used to. As I said generally speaking colourful regional vernacular is a good thing, if everyone spoke proper English the world would be a dull place indeed.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:23 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,550,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Even after so many years I still can’t stand to listen to someone who says “you know” every third word.
Or worse, someone spelling "yanno" several times in one post. After I blocked that person, my visits to CD have been much more bearable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships