Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2019, 05:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Oh, yes, I absolutely love and prefer y'all to you guys, which sounds grating in my opinion. I love the soft sound of y'all, especially with a Texan accent.

I grew up with and still live with the western "you guys" as opposed to the southern "you all." I much prefer "you all" to "you guys."

My problem is the redundancy of all y'all. It's like saying all you people, all you people...
Haha, I get it but hey - "it is what it is."

I could listen to my husband talk all day long, with his Texas accent. It's mild but it's definitely there. And if I may say so myself, I prefer it mild. I don't like a twang from anyone!

Old 11-10-2019, 05:04 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Haha, I get it but hey - "it is what it is."

I could listen to my husband talk all day long, with his Texas accent. It's mild but it's definitely there. And if I may say so myself, I prefer it mild. I don't like a twang from anyone!
Yep, like finally giving up and accepting that when someone says you go down to the third red light and take a left, they mean the third stop light - whether it's green or red.

I love listening to the radio as I drive on long trips across country and listen to local accents and regional stories, etc. I hope that local radio availability never goes away. It gives one a sense of the culture of each area you drive through, etc. I love the fact that our country isn't a sterile mono-type.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Yep, like finally giving up and accepting that when someone says you go down to the third red light and take a left, they mean the third stop light - whether it's green or red.

I love listening to the radio as I drive on long trips across country and listen to local accents and regional stories, etc. I hope that local radio availability never goes away. It gives one a sense of the culture of each area you drive through, etc. I love the fact that our country isn't a sterile mono-type.
Yes, you and me both.

When I was a corporate trainer, I would love to visit different regions of the country. I loved the accents, and apparently they loved mine too! It was mutually satisfactory. Good times!

Old 11-10-2019, 08:09 PM
HTB

6 posts, read 9,328 times
I have to throw in “blah blah blah”. I just may go for the jugular....

Old 11-10-2019, 09:38 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Can't rep you again. Old enough here to remember when we didn't NEED a term for baby bump. We noticed when ladies were pregnant but we didn't go around discussing their bodies in public at length.

"looks like Mary is expecting." Yup, that just about covered it.
I don't like we're pregnant. Guys can't get pregnant, check a biology book.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:31 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Yes! Whatever happened to "we're expecting"???

And whoever posted upthread about "aaannddd goooo!" Nails on a chalkboard to me.

I don't get bothered by geographical differences, misuse due to lack of education, or most unintentional mispronunciations (unless it's by a newscaster or political figure who should have plenty of people around to correct them!). I mostly get annoyed by intentional, "trying to sound cool," latest & greatest buzz words and phrases.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:59 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
This is funny. I had to do a search for "yanno" because I couldn't recall seeing it, and I wanted to know whose overuse of it was so egregious as to warrant blocking all their posts. I found at least three posters who use "yanno" so I still don't know who the offender was!

What is "yanno"? Related to Yanni the musician?

Never mind - saw the explanation above.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:01 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTB View Post
I have to throw in “blah blah blah”. I just may go for the jugular....
I'm guilty of using both blah blah blah and yada yada yada with my family. It's a shortcut so you don't have to tell all the details of a long story......

Old 11-11-2019, 09:41 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:

Me, too!

Accents, music, food, home styles, types of businesses—variety is good.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:46 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
That probably evolved (devolved?) from “We’re going to have a baby,” which at least means something factual, namely adding to the family. But “we” being pregnant is impossible, unless “we” are two or more women, each one pregnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships