Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 04:58 AM

832 posts, read 1,255,786 times

Advertisements

You guyz are crazy...
Getting annoyed when someone say something that is not even offensive like "If I could tell my younger self"... Oh brother...

Old 11-13-2019, 06:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Haha. I can't believe there is a contraction for "fixin to". I watched the PopWatch video. Hilarious. When I got to the point where he said "fidna", I didn't hear that word. I heard "fixin tuh".

That is funny about your husband.
LOL EX husband! That, among many other more serious things, was something I decided I didn't want to deal with the rest of my life!

Old 11-13-2019, 06:45 AM

8,180 posts, read 6,929,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
You guyz are crazy...
Getting annoyed when someone say something that is not even offensive like "If I could tell my younger self"... Oh brother...
When people use a "z" when it should be an "s".

Old 11-13-2019, 06:51 AM

Last night my husband and I had a conversation about the phrase "Cut the mustard." I said something about a project that didn't "cut the mustard" and my husband said "Do you mean it didn't pass muster?"

It is easily confused with "pass muster." Or, God forbid "pass the mustard," which is crazy.

Actually "Cut the mustard" has nothing to do with "passing muster" which is a military phrase. "Passing muster" means passing a rigorous inspection. "Cut the mustard" was first recorded as used by O Henry in 1907 to describe something as excellent - "It cut the mustard." Around the turn of the century "mustard" meant "cool." As in "He's mustard." (I say bring that back but whatever!)

Old 11-13-2019, 07:37 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
It's actually a hard row to hoe, as in a row of a crop.

You might be thinking of skid row, which was a trail or road where logs were dragged down, usually, which became known as roads as opposed to rows.

But as far as I know, the saying "hard row to hoe" meant a situation that was difficult, like manually hoeing a row in a field that might have contained a lot of stones in the soil, etc.
I think you completely misunderstood my post. It was a response to someone else's post about a different misquote.

I'm certainly well aware of the bolded. My point was that some people say "a hard road to hoe" instead of "row".

Old 11-13-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
You guyz are crazy...
I don't think anyone is too seriously "annoyed". It's a light-hearted thread. We all hear overused phrases that get on our nerves after a while, but it hardly ruins our lives.

Now people who abuse punctuation, that seriously grates on me.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:35 AM

Another one that drives me a little crazy, is the euphemism "passed" for "died".

I did hear "passed away" when I was a kid, I guess in an attempt to shield us from the reality that we're all gonna croak eventually, but now it seems to have been shortened to just "passed" and is used all the time instead of just plainly saying somebody died.

Really? We're all adults. We know that everybody dies. Let's stop trying to skirt around the fact with nonsensical terms.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:23 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Another one that drives me a little crazy, is the euphemism "passed" for "died".

I did hear "passed away" when I was a kid, I guess in an attempt to shield us from the reality that we're all gonna croak eventually, but now it seems to have been shortened to just "passed" and is used all the time instead of just plainly saying somebody died.

Really? We're all adults. We know that everybody dies. Let's stop trying to skirt around the fact with nonsensical terms.
Yup, I use the straightforward word, “died.” Strange how it feels awkward to say the plain truth when most people use delicate phrasing such as “passed away”. Ever notice how that got shortened to just “passed”? They might as well ditch the pretense and return to the shortest, simplest word, “die.”

Even more pussyfooty is “____ is no longer with us.” Did ____ move away, unfriend the speaker, or (*GASP*) die? Mealymouth talk is ambiguous. “Die” is crystal clear.

While we’re on the topic of life phases, how do you like “She is with child”? Oh? Whose child is with her?

“The bun is in the oven” is at least humorous and colorful. If it were always used as a substitute for “she is pregnant” it would lose its cuteness really fast.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:37 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think you completely misunderstood my post. It was a response to someone else's post about a different misquote.

I'm certainly well aware of the bolded. My point was that some people say "a hard road to hoe" instead of "row".
Some posters claim that they past their tests.

Many maybe past away from eating too much pasta.

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 11-13-2019 at 09:49 AM..

Old 11-13-2019, 09:40 AM

"Mute point."

Hey, how about YOU mute your point? It's MOOT POINT.

And even when a person isn't writing this, I know they're thinking it because "mute" and "moot" don't sound the same when spoken.

Also, if you're going to talk about or invoke Satan, don't spell his name "Satin." (This I generally only see in posts - I've never heard anyone say "satin" instead of "Satan.")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships