Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 02:43 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
When I went away to college (FSU), I had to work very full time in town. I actually had a good job and the owners let me work around my class schedule. Some of us were there at night until 2 AM.

During the day, there were a lot of ladies there who lived out in the country in actual trailers (not mobile homes - real trailers). Lovely people from the country.

Since I was from South Florida, they would laugh at some of the things I didn't know but were very kind.

One weekend, I had to fly back home and one of the girls told me she could "carry me out there" - I found out later that meant give me a lift (as to the airport)!

There were a couple of other expressions but we all used to laugh and laugh about different words as we were doing our work now done by a computer most likely. It was fun at the time.
I went to FSU! Go Noles!

Old 11-13-2019, 02:47 PM

1,055 posts, read 800,249 times
I have few:

- Meh. As in "How was the restaurant?", "It was 'meh'". Verbal laziness!

- I could care less. It's COULDN'T care less.

- Like I really like hate it like when people like say like like every other word like.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
I have few:

- Meh. As in "How was the restaurant?", "It was 'meh'". Verbal laziness!1

- I could care less. It's COULDN'T care less.

- Like I really like hate it like when people like say like like every other word like.
Agree on all of those! I've fallen into the trap on rare occasions of saying "meh", but you're right, its lazy.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:49 PM

14 posts, read 6,547 times
I can't stand the phrase "the wife" instead of "my wife."

Usually it's not used in a fond manner.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:15 PM

16,078 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Agree on all of those! I've fallen into the trap on rare occasions of saying "meh", but you're right, its lazy.
It's not lazy, it's succinct. You can tell me with one word that the restaurant isn't worth my time or money!

Old 11-13-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It's not lazy, it's succinct. You can tell me with one word that the restaurant isn't worth my time or money!
Agree to disagree, which is another one I hate, lol.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:37 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,654,949 times
Not so much a phrase as a manner of speaking:
I find it annoying when people start their sentences with: "So". (I've even seen posts of people writing that way!) These are usually the same people who also "upspeak"; every statement sounds like a question.

-"So, I went to the farmers' market? And they were out of free-range kale?"

-"So, I wanted to buy an artisinal beanie? But the Alpaca-wool was not free-trade? And I had already made plans to wear it in the drum-circle?

Old 11-13-2019, 03:58 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times
"I could care less."

That means they COULD care less, which means they care a lot. The correct saying is, "I couldn't care less." Which means I care so little that it's impossible to care less.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:44 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,347,420 times
Baby mama.

Baby daddy.

Thinking outside the box.

I could care less (when they mean I couldn't care less).

Game changer.

Stepping up.

Tacking on the suffix -aholic to overindulging in anything. Every part of the suffix except the "ic" comes from the word "alcohol".

Tacking on the suffix -gate to any controversial or scandalous situation (reference to the Watergate Hotel, site of the Democratic Party office break-in during the Nixon years, and the Watergate hearings afterward that led to Nixon's resignation).

On steroids - referring to anything larger or more widespread than usual.

Mute point - when they mean moot point.

People who mispronounce "nuclear" as "nucular".

Old 11-13-2019, 04:46 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbelle View Post
I can't stand the phrase "the wife" instead of "my wife."

Usually it's not used in a fond manner.
You’ll often hear that in U.K., usually in the Midlands or up North.
I don’t like it, I think that it’s disrespectful, it’s like saying she’s an object in your house, like the table, the TV, the vacuum cleaner, the carpet, the wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
"I could care less."

That means they COULD care less, which means they care a lot. The correct saying is, "I couldn't care less." Which means I care so little that it's impossible to care less.
I refer you my post # 461.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships