Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2019, 04:17 PM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So many of the things listed here are things my friends and I say.

For example, starting off with "so". If you say "so" firmly, and then pause, everyone is on alert that they need to pay attention, you're about to ask for a decision, you're not just commenting. "So. What have we decided to do about the car?"

I love "welp". It's just funny. "Welp, that cat litter box isn't going to clean itself".

And "what not". If you say it after something that's kind of shocking. Like, "let's go in the afternoon, after the park service has had a chance to clean up all the used condoms and whatnot".

What bothers me is people who use phrases that they obviously have no idea what they mean. Like cafe au lait poodles called cafe ole, or "for all intensive purposes".
Another like that is "a hard road to hoe". Let's think about that for a minute. How many people have you seen try to hoe a road.

Old 11-12-2019, 04:31 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
People who refer to America as Murica! That annoys me terribly.
I see it a lot on U.K. forums, usually in a derogatory way, e.g., when there’s been a shooting incident somewhere in the U.S., “What do you expect, it’s Murica!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Oh yeah? Well I don't like "an what not". I don't like it!

Also, my 9th grade Latin teacher told the class that the definition of "stuff" was "worthless junk" - and literally did not allow stuff in her class (including gum).
My New York inamorata in the eighties, would sign her letters, “Take care Jean, love ‘n’ stuff, Régine.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Saying wolla, instead of at least an attempt at voila. At least put a "v" on it - vwolla.
With my French inflection, I say”Vwahlah.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Uneducated people say IN-surance for insurance.

These people could easily be out-sured.
I don’t find anything wrong with INsurance, but as a
goddam furriner, I’d better shut my pie hole.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:09 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Another like that is "a hard road to hoe". Let's think about that for a minute. How many people have you seen try to hoe a road.
Forth miles of bad road can certainly paint a picture that can be applied to . . .

Old 11-12-2019, 05:13 PM

8,179 posts, read 6,929,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
People who throw out an idea with the command to 'discuss'.
ha. I hate that, too.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's actually a hard row to hoe, as in a row of a crop.

You might be thinking of skid row, which was a trail or road where logs were dragged down, usually, which became known as roads as opposed to rows.

But as far as I know, the saying "hard row to hoe" meant a situation that was difficult, like manually hoeing a row in a field that might have contained a lot of stones in the soil, etc.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:33 PM

2,140 posts, read 362,475 times
“Listen,” followed by anything.

Translation: “I’m right and I dismiss whatever you have to say.”

I think it’s rude, hubristic and a direct signal to do anything but.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:46 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,247,022 times
Smile Just an expression I heard years ago

When I went away to college (FSU), I had to work very full time in town. I actually had a good job and the owners let me work around my class schedule. Some of us were there at night until 2 AM.

During the day, there were a lot of ladies there who lived out in the country in actual trailers (not mobile homes - real trailers). Lovely people from the country.

Since I was from South Florida, they would laugh at some of the things I didn't know but were very kind.

One weekend, I had to fly back home and one of the girls told me she could "carry me out there" - I found out later that meant give me a lift (as to the airport)!

There were a couple of other expressions but we all used to laugh and laugh about different words as we were doing our work now done by a computer most likely. It was fun at the time.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:59 PM

993 posts, read 2,292,236 times
Couples who announce "we're pregnant " The woman is the only one who is pregnant. People who say "my bad" instead of "I'm sorry"

Old 11-13-2019, 01:31 AM

3,253 posts, read 2,340,472 times
>>“Listen,” followed by anything.<<

Politicians and talking heads do that.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:48 AM

7,593 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hey, my ex husband starts talking with a German accent when he's in Germany. Which I think is really weird! At least you're not doing that - at least you did actually HAVE a Texas accent!

When I went back to my high school reunion in Georgia, after living in Texas for 20 years, everyone was saying "Wow, you sure do have a Texas accent!" but my husband was saying, "Wow, your Georgia accent just jumped right out!" (I lived there for ten years, through high school and college and before that I lived in NC and VA so I definitely have a southern drawl, but Texan has more of a twang to it I guess. Or I reckon. )
Haha. I can't believe there is a contraction for "fixin to". I watched the PopWatch video. Hilarious. When I got to the point where he said "fidna", I didn't hear that word. I heard "fixin tuh".

That is funny about your husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships