Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2019, 01:46 PM

179 posts, read 149,731 times

Advertisements

I seen xxxxx

Them xxxxx

Such as: I seen him take them boxes up them stairs. Sos I axed him what was in them boxes.

I'm sorry but....

Funny thread. Thank you.

Old 11-10-2019, 02:18 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Some of these phrases that people say they find annoying are just geographical differences, and I think we need to respect those variations (like in line vs on line vs on queue). I have noticed that in some states people "call in sick to work" and in other states they "call out sick."
True! I always said call in, but I have heard call out.

Old 11-10-2019, 02:20 PM

5,465 posts, read 8,184,520 times
"What goes around comes around."

Old 11-10-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
This is funny. I had to do a search for "yanno" because I couldn't recall seeing it, and I wanted to know whose overuse of it was so egregious as to warrant blocking all their posts. I found at least three posters who use "yanno" so I still don't know who the offender was!
Haha, I did the same thing with the same result!

It took me a while to realize that yanno was supposed to mean ya know. In my head, I rhymed it with Dan-o.

Old 11-10-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
You'll never hear it from any Mightyqueen.
But you may hear another "T" word if you keep that up.

Old 11-10-2019, 02:31 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
I say "No Problem." all the time.

It distresses me that so many people dislike it because the reason I say it is because it means, in a literal sense, that it is my pleasure to have done something for someone. It means that I don't consider my action on their behalf to be in any way a nuisance, annoyance, or interruption, but rather that I did what I did out of respect for them.

But the way it is received, apparently, I am the a--hole.

Old 11-10-2019, 02:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I've lived in TX and I haven't heard it either. I have heard "fixin' to go to the store" which I assume is the same thing.
It's the same thing. I hear people dropping that X all the time when they say it. "Finna" or "fidna" are common around here.

To be clear, people don't generally say it in a professional environment, but I hear it often casually. I live in NE Texas for the record. Where we live is about 1/3 white Non Hispanic, 1/3 Hispanic, and 1/3 African American. It's most common in AA communities but also in some white non Hispanic communities. I don't recall ever hearing a Hispanic person even say "fixin to go to the store," come to think of it, let alone "finna" or "fidna."

Old 11-10-2019, 02:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I say "No Problem." all the time.

It distresses me that so many people dislike it because the reason I say it is because it means, in a literal sense, that it is my pleasure to have done something for someone. It means that I don't consider my action on their behalf to be in any way a nuisance, annoyance, or interruption, but rather that I did what I did out of respect for them.

But the way it is received, apparently, I am the a--hole.
If it really means "my pleasure" (and literally no, it doesn't really mean that), then just say "my pleasure." It's the same amount of syllables even! Takes no more effort to say it than it does to say "No problem."

The reason why people get irritated is because it damn sure better not be a nuisance, annoyance or interruption to take care of someone if that's what you're being paid to do (most people are more irritated by it if for instance a server or waitstaff or customer service person says it). But if you say it's your PLEASURE then that raises the bar, so to speak, from "Yeah, you're not an irritation to me," to "You bring pleasure to my day." There's a significant difference between the two statements.

Old 11-10-2019, 02:49 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times
It’s not a phrase but I need to vent. I hate it when people pronounce MAScarpone as “MARscarpone.” I watch a lot of cooking/baking shows and cannot tell you how many professional and/or celebrity chefs put that extra R in there. Ugh. I don’t know why it bothers me so much.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
YOU DO REALIZE, don't you, that "y'all" doesn't necessarily mean "ALL Y'ALL." It's like this - you're hanging out with your neighbors grilling in the back yard and you say, on the side, to a couple of the wives "Y'all want a beer?" And a couple of the husbands say, "Hell, yeah." So you say,"Oh. ALL Y'ALL want a damn beer. Well, OK then."

So you go get a six pack, for ALL Y'ALL. Not just y'all.
Oh, yes, I absolutely love and prefer y'all to you guys, which sounds grating in my opinion. I love the soft sound of y'all, especially with a Texan accent.

I grew up with and still live with the western "you guys" as opposed to the southern "you all." I much prefer "you all" to "you guys."

My problem is the redundancy of all y'all. It's like saying all you people, all you people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships