Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2019, 06:45 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times

Advertisements

So...
My bad..
Actually...
It's a mute point.

Generally I don't care what people say or how badly they say it. If I can understand what it is they're trying to get across, and if they're not being unkind, I'm okay. I'll never correct another adult unless they ask me to.

Old 11-10-2019, 06:47 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
“No problem”, when used instead of “You’re welcome.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I am guilty of this
You're not guilty of anything; there's absolutely nothing wrong with saying no problem in lieu of your welcome. Many countries/cultures have a similar expression. For example, Aussies say no worries; Latinos say de nada; and Italians say prego.

They're all variations on a theme.

Old 11-10-2019, 06:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
There is definitely a distinct sound to a Texas accent - even when the person swears they don't have an accent. My Texas born and bred husband doesn't have much of an accent, but wow you can tell he's from Texas when he says words like "light," "bright," "night," etc.

"Turn the nahht lahht own, honey, so it will be brahhht in here." Yes, also "own" instead of "on."

Another oddball phrase he uses sometimes, which I had never heard before I met him, is "It's rahhht the opposite." For anything that's the opposite of what you'd expect. I mean, I'd just say "It's the opposite of what you'd think," not "It's right the opposite." He is a pretty sophisticated, well traveled and well read man, but sometimes that TEXAS COUNTRY just comes out! LOL

Old 11-10-2019, 06:55 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This thread has made my night. I've been giggling through all 39 pages. I'm sure I drive lots of people crazy. Some also make me crazy, and some don't. Here's my little list of things I didn't see mentioned already.

Red light - as in "You go down to the third red light, then turn left..." I always wanted to ask, what if it's green? Do I keep going until I have to stop at three red ones? (This was in Tennessee.)

Have a blessed day. I know this has been discussed to death, but it bugs me. I feel like saying, keep your religion to yourself, please, and I'll keep mine to myself.

All y'all. I guess in CA it would translate to "all of you guys," but for some reason it sounds redundant as in all already means all, no need to say it again.

Now this one just really gets under my skin....."You do realize..." Translation: You are a complete idiot and I'm about to rub your nose in it.

The red light thing is funny. Living in NC for 9 years, all y'all is plural of y'all, at least that is what I was taught there.

This is a funny thread.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:03 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
Far instead of fire. I'm sure most of us saw the YouTube clip with the lady who lived through a "far" and got bronchitis. Tar, instead of tire. I felt like I was living in a foreign country when I lived in NC especially when we were in the small town of Mount Olive, population 5,000.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The red light thing is funny. Living in NC for 9 years, all y'all is plural of y'all, at least that is what I was taught there.

This is a funny thread.
Note - "all y'all" means "EVERYONE." Contrary to popular belief outside the south, "y'all" is not singular. It never means just one person. You wouldn't say "Y'all come here," to one person. But you might go outside and your kids are playing with neighbor kids so there's a group of kids, and if you said, "Y'all come here," they all might think you're only talking to YOUR kids. So if you want all of them to come over to you, you would say, "Not just my kids - ALL Y'ALL come over here."

Old 11-10-2019, 08:42 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
“No problem”, when used instead of “You’re welcome.”
About 1977, "copacetic" came out, to exalt . . . something "OK".

It went everywhere, but I think it had a very short life.

Oh, here's a historection: http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-cop1.htm

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 11-10-2019 at 08:59 AM..

Old 11-10-2019, 09:03 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I can't believe you haven't heard "fidna" as in "I'm fidna go to the store," if you have lived in Texas.
I've lived in TX and I haven't heard it either. I have heard "fixin' to go to the store" which I assume is the same thing.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Starting sentences with

"So.."

and

"Actually"...
I'm guilty of starting many sentences with "So..." It's shorthand for "I'm about to change the subject to something unrelated to what we've just been talking about." I hear a lot of people use it in a transitional way like that.

I'm curious, when you are going to start a new topic, do you just blurt it out with no transition?

Old 11-10-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I say "on line", as in standing on line. It's usually a dead giveaway that the speaker is from NYC/NorthernNJ.

Especially if we're on line for cawfee.

My friend moved down to the DC area 35 years ago, and she still gets called out for using "on line".
Some of these phrases that people say they find annoying are just geographical differences, and I think we need to respect those variations (like in line vs on line vs on queue). I have noticed that in some states people "call in sick to work" and in other states they "call out sick."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships