Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2019, 09:33 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Sorry, never heard this in Texas nor anywhere else we lived in the South.
You never heard "fidna????" In the state of Texas???????

That's hard to believe.

I have heard "scring" for "screen" many times over the years. Not by people I'm related to however - LOL.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:32 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
"Threw up in my mouth".

That is a disgusting phrase and I'm not sure exactly what it means. Why not just say "makes me want to throw up".

Why the "in my mouth" part?
Referring to the occasions when you regurgitate just enough to get a mouthful but not spew publicly. It seems self-explanatory.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:34 AM

312 posts, read 277,648 times
Waitress: "How's everything tasting?"

Dunno why I hate that but I do ... and you hear it more and more. What happens in my mouth, stays in my mouth.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:14 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
I consider myself rather particular about correct spelling and grammar in general, but reading this thread makes me feel I must be part hillbilly or uncouth or annoying, or all three!. I say many of the things that so many of you have complained about, at least occasionally.

I think what annoys me is when I hear any phrase (even ones that I use) excessively. But I'll admit I've been know to *occasionally* say "it is what it is," "So.....," "With that being said," etc.

I do find "learnings" as a noun annoying, but languages change. English does have a lot of "-ing" words that can function as a verb or a noun. Maybe once upon a time today's -ing nouns were only verbs. I don't know. I'm thinking of words like cleaning, decorating, wrestling, painting, etc.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:44 AM

When I was young, I used to get irritated when people said, "Do you play basketball?"

But then I read somewhere that another tall person who got that all the time responded with, "No, are you a jockey?" And then I couldn't wait for the next idiot to say it to me!"

Old 11-08-2019, 07:20 AM

1,299 posts, read 824,036 times
I don't think this one has shown up in this discussion yet. Maybe I'm the only one it bothers: Gift as a verb. I only started noticing it, mostly online, in the last few years. It grates on me for some reason. "She gifted me a gift card". Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
People that use smelt instead of smelled. While smelt is a word it has nothing to do with the way something smells. "I smelt burnt popcorn" is not correct English and I hear it all the time, sometimes from educated people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Smelt
Learnt
Burnt
In a typical Canadian mish-mash of US and UK, "burnt" is common, but not learnt or smelt as much. So I'd be likely to say "I smelled burnt popcorn".

Old 11-08-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
I don't think this one has shown up in this discussion yet. Maybe I'm the only one it bothers: Gift as a verb. I only started noticing it, mostly online, in the last few years. It grates on me for some reason. "She gifted me a gift card". Ugh.

In a typical Canadian mish-mash of US and UK, "burnt" is common, but not learnt or smelt as much. So I'd be likely to say "I smelled burnt popcorn".
I don't like gift as a verb, either.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:42 AM

99,601 posts, read 4,494,366 times
Adding "Just sayin'" at the end of a statement.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:29 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When I was young, I used to get irritated when people said, "Do you play basketball?"

But then I read somewhere that another tall person who got that all the time responded with, "No, are you a jockey?" And then I couldn't wait for the next idiot to say it to me!"
I have a better one for you.

"no I don't play basketball, do you play MINI golf?"

Old 11-08-2019, 01:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I lived for nearly 30 years in the US, and still find this jarring, although I doubt anyone notices how incorrect it is anymore given the common use (having said that I think regional variations in language keep the world fun and interesting, unless it irks me, of course).

Fluffy wants in
Fido wants out

Um, Fluffy wants to come in, whilst Fido wants to go out.

And yes I used whilst. I’ve learnt it annoys Americans.
There are many idiomatic language usages that do not make grammatical sense. I imagine there are many in British English as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships