Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 04:55 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times

Advertisements

My guess, OP, is that this man is sincere in his belief that you are a kindred spirit, and you've been pranked by someone you know who got on a prison pen pal site and sent your name and address to him. For whatever reason - a joke, revenge, etc.

You just need to make it clear there's been a mistake. He's not in love with you, or obsessed - he doesn't know you. He's reaching out for contact with someone he's been told would be receptive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 05:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Why a male?
Because some people still operate under the assumption that a woman’s voice (literal or otherwise) does not carry the necessary weight or authority to be heeded.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:26 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,660,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
My guess, OP, is that this man is sincere in his belief that you are a kindred spirit, and you've been pranked by someone you know who got on a prison pen pal site and sent your name and address to him. For whatever reason - a joke, revenge, etc.

You just need to make it clear there's been a mistake. He's not in love with you, or obsessed - he doesn't know you. He's reaching out for contact with someone he's been told would be receptive.
This man probably wrote the same exact letter to 50 women. All scams need lots of contacts to get someone to bite.

I really doubt he is sincere about anything other than getting her to send him stuff.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:33 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
This man probably wrote the same exact letter to 50 women. All scams need lots of contacts to get someone to bite.

I really doubt he is sincere about anything other than getting her to send him stuff.
You could be right.

But if he's going before the Parole board, they ask do you have any healthy contacts outside of prison. If he's established a relationship with a few people who state they are willing to help him out with a job or help locate a place to live, etc., that is a real + for getting out.

The OP doesn't mention that he's asking for anything besides friendship. Maybe all he's looking for is that, and a good reference from someone who is not a criminal.

Considering that prison mail rooms read and approve all outgoing mail, it seems a little doubtful that he scattershot 50 identical mailings to people not on his contact list, and got away with it.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:26 PM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Um . . . I said I don't want to notify the prison, as the person has my home address (and is getting out).
Notify them of what? The fact that you got a letter from them? Hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty sure they already know.

(And how do you know they're getting out? Because they said so? For that matter, are you certain they're really in prison?)

Quote:
If I needed a guy to make a phone call for me and there were no guys available to do that, this COULD be an alternative. It's nice to have options.
I'm confused as to why you need a man to call the prison. They're not going to put this inmate on the phone with you. They're not going to say "Hey Jean Valjean, this nice lady who lives alone in a house with crappy locks in the middle of nowhere who wouldn't know any sort of self-defense if it walked up and slapped in her the face called asking about you..." If the guy has your name and address, he knows if you're not male, assuming your name isn't one of the unisex ones.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:52 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
Ok . . . just to stop all of this "man calling" thing - the suggestion was that a man call the prison (not the prisoner, duh!) and say something about his "wife" (so as to deter a criminal from preying on a single woman).

Old 11-02-2019, 05:50 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Quote:
Hoping to get some advice:

About a month ago, I received a letter addressed to my home address (as opposed to P.O. Box which is published online) from an inmate in a prison a couple hundred miles from me.

It was a hand-written letter, in actually beautiful handwriting - around one-and-a-half pages!

The person said they had gotten my contact info from a "pen pal," who said I am "open-minded."

They said they had been in prison for around 18 years for a "thief crew," and that they would be getting out in a year or so.

I don't know anybody in prison!

In trying to figure out how he could have gotten my home address, I recalled that a year or so ago, my car got broken into and my registration was stolen. That is the only thing that has my full name on it with my street address on it, as well.

I have tried to put it out of my mind - I don't think it would behoove me to write the prison if the person has my home address!!!!!!!

It's very disturbing.
Obviously, DO NOT RESPOND in any way, shape, or form !! Prisoners have all day to sit around, doing nothing, so they find creative ways to occupy their time and to get some money or other benefits. He is fishing to see if someone will bite, they meet a lot of lonely, soft hearted women this way and end up taking advantage of them.

I would contact the prison and ask how your address and name can be blocked so you do not receive any more communications.

Old 11-02-2019, 07:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Obviously, DO NOT RESPOND in any way, shape, or form !! Prisoners have all day to sit around, doing nothing, so they find creative ways to occupy their time and to get some money or other benefits. He is fishing to see if someone will bite, they meet a lot of lonely, soft hearted women this way and end up taking advantage of them.

I would contact the prison and ask how your address and name can be blocked so you do not receive any more communications.
I second this. It's just common sense insight and advice.

And you don't have to "hire a waiter" or whatever to call and pretend they're your husband yada yada yada. Just don't respond and call the prison and ask to be blocked from any future mailings.

Old 11-02-2019, 07:32 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Ok . . . just to stop all of this "man calling" thing - the suggestion was that a man call the prison (not the prisoner, duh!) and say something about his "wife" (so as to deter a criminal from preying on a single woman).
Right, but you wouldn't be talking to the criminal.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:16 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Hire a waiter???
That was my thought too as if they're often standing around wondering how to stay preoccupied, or better yet the likely response of "sure thing crazy pants" after hearing the pitch from a stranger for a whopping $25 reward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships