Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 06:12 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,795,746 times

Advertisements

OP - although you say in Post 5 that you did not recently move - you also have posts about your recent move! ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 06:13 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
I had a prison pen pal and I enjoyed it. I read they go crazy in solitary and I wanted to help someone avoid that experience. We were roughly the same age and from the same general area, so we had a little bit in common that way. He was a good pen pal. /shrug. Some people were worried he'd come out and hurt me. Why? I just didn't get that vibe at all. I probably wouldn't do it again, but I am not sorry I did do it. I gave him some company and something to pass the time. Never asked me for anything but I signed him up for free magazines and bought him a book I felt he needed to read about Jews. He was formally in a gang that is very racist to Jews and I did't like that.

It was interesting - he said early on 'I am not a monster'. I was like ok,,,,,who thinks you are and why? He said because he was in a gang. In my head I was like well that is kind of a monster. But for whatever reason I was more fascinated than afraid or disgusted. I said did you join in prison to be safe? Nope - he joined FOR THE BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY. I was gobsmacked. But I mean people do that, so.

When he got out I donated to covering up gang tattoos. He won't even jaywalk he is so afraid of jail. He's safe to be in society.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:25 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,800,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
To hire a stranger you know nothing about ... who works at a restaurant ... to call a prison and ...

Why do you think it's a great idea?
Hire an accountant! Or if you can't afford one, a bookkeeper.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:39 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
OP - although you say in Post 5 that you did not recently move - you also have posts about your recent move! ???
Please show me a post about a recent move.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:52 PM

13,271 posts, read 7,321,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I had a prison pen pal and I enjoyed it. I read they go crazy in solitary and I wanted to help someone avoid that experience. We were roughly the same age and from the same general area, so we had a little bit in common that way. He was a good pen pal. /shrug. Some people were worried he'd come out and hurt me. Why? I just didn't get that vibe at all. I probably wouldn't do it again, but I am not sorry I did do it. I gave him some company and something to pass the time. Never asked me for anything but I signed him up for free magazines and bought him a book I felt he needed to read about Jews. He was formally in a gang that is very racist to Jews and I did't like that.

It was interesting - he said early on 'I am not a monster'. I was like ok,,,,,who thinks you are and why? He said because he was in a gang. In my head I was like well that is kind of a monster. But for whatever reason I was more fascinated than afraid or disgusted. I said did you join in prison to be safe? Nope - he joined FOR THE BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY. I was gobsmacked. But I mean people do that, so.

When he got out I donated to covering up gang tattoos. He won't even jaywalk he is so afraid of jail. He's safe to be in society.
You initiated the letters, so that is different but if someone from a prison just sent me a letter I would just ignore it because I suspect it being a scam. They want to try and gain your trust hope to get you to do something for them. Calling the prison that's kind of a personal decision I think I would just not reply back. It would be concerning to me someone in prison has your address.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:30 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Great idea! Thank you.

Now I just have to find a male willing to do that for me!
You don't need to find a male to send him a letter saying he's your husband. Write it, or do it on your computer and print it out yourself. He can't look at the letter and say that you're doing it.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:18 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I doubt it. I don't think they analyze these things. I'm never certain if "return to sender" letters actually do get returned to sender, or just tossed.
Over the years, I've had a few letters come back to me because the addressee couldn't be located. So yeah, they do return them.

When I worked in a dormitory mailroom in college, I was instructed that any letters with first class postage addressed to people who had moved away had to be forwarded to them if we had their new address, or returned to sender if we didn't. Any second-class mail (i.e. junk mail) in a similar situation went into the round file.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:20 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Um . . . I said I don't want to notify the prison, as the person has my home address (and is getting out).
I do think that ignoring this letter is your best bet. But if you receive another one, I think that contacting the prison would be a good idea. They should be made aware that one of their inmates is contacting you without your permission, so they can put a stop to it.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:30 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I do think that ignoring this letter is your best bet. But if you receive another one, I think that contacting the prison would be a good idea. They should be made aware that one of their inmates is contacting you without your permission, so they can put a stop to it.
I’m not sure that they can put a stop to it. If he didn’t write anything threatening to her I don’t know under what law they can tell him he can’t do it.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:30 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
So I asked a colleague with some experience in this area, and she said the correctional facility has no legal authority to stop an inmate from sending mail.

If other corrections officials some here are familiar with have told an inmate to stop, that is that official's personal choice, but one that exceeds their legal authority, especially if the letter contained nothing illegal.

So again, returning the letter or better yet ignoring it is the best choice OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships