Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 04:04 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I know I've sort of dealt with it before a long time ago so I won't be doing any heroic measures, letting him crash on my couch, or any of that. I had just thought maybe maybe before it takes over his life..........he isn't there yet.

He still has his job. He's getting a cash car. He's still in the game to my mind.

Someone said he isn't smart but he is. I know whether someone is smart by how they hold a conversation, what they talk about. I never saw him high before. I feel like it can't have it's teeth all the way in.
Some people can go to oxford or have a PhD and not be smart. I highly doubt anything you say would convince him to go to rehab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 04:08 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,152,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
you gotta be kidding?
Exactly.

He's not "smart," he's making very poor life choices.

He's a "nice guy" doing ICE, meth, whatever. Go far enough down that hole, he'll be committing petty burglary and ripping off mail for a couple hundred bucks here and there, and have a rap sheet twenty pages long in the next same number of years. A problem plaguing Seattle right now...the burglary part. The meth heads hang out with bums and vagrants, they melt right in and the weakling City Hall won't let the cops go in and make mass arrests. The cops are not weak here...far from it, they're head busters...but City Hall will have none of it.

Flee that person, today. Now. Immediately.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:11 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Some people can go to oxford or have a PhD and not be smart. I highly doubt anything you say would convince him to go to rehab.
Well, I can try. I am not going to be inboxing him all the time about it. I just tossed it out there today like hey it's messing with your mind and your goals maybe go check out a rehab. Lots of state/federal programs. He was SO PROUD to be in school. So dedicated to never missing.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:55 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times
Quote:
Maybe when he doesn't have a place to sleep! Anyway, I know. That is why the title says stupid question. Whatever convinces people to go to rehab, it isn't a friend that isn't even a really close friend for a long time.

Quote:
What I was mainly thinking is that he doesn't seem in deep yet? More recreational. And therefore easier to quit.
I'm just upset. I didn't know this about him. I knew it about his brother, but this guy had a car and a job and school and no reason to think drugs. Until he lost stuff and I just directly asked.

He was dedicated. Work in the day, school at night and then study. That was only a few months ago.
Listen, if he's already lost his car, misses work, doesn't go to school any more, and has no place to sleep, his drug use is not recreational, he IS HOOKED on drugs.

NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING will get him off drugs but his own will to do it. When/if he ever decides to go to rehab, chances are (like MANY addicts) that he will leave and do drugs again.

So many on here have said he isn't smart. They could be very wrong. Intelligence has NOTHING to do with addiction. Addiction does. Even doctors lawyers and every other walk of life can get addicted.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:59 PM

He thought I was suggesting that drugs are where his money is going and corrected me on that. No response to my reply explaining I am talking about messing with his mind when he does have money to buy them. I really don't know him well enough to be getting in his business. It's surprising he even answered honestly when I first asked about drugs.

Old 12-02-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Listen, if he's already lost his car, misses work, doesn't go to school any more, and has no place to sleep, his drug use is not recreational, he IS HOOKED on drugs.

NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING will get him off drugs but his own will to do it. When/if he ever decides to go to rehab, chances are (like MANY addicts) that he will leave and do drugs again.

So many on here have said he isn't smart. They could be very wrong. Intelligence has NOTHING to do with addiction. Addiction does. Even doctors lawyers and every other walk of life can get addicted.
It's awful. I honestly should have known before. We have a mutual 'friend' that literally smoked his inheritance away. His brother uses 'ICE' (I am not used to that term yet for meth). But my friend, sigh, he just acted different. I was naive. Birds of a feather.

He had all his ish together I guess is why I thought he wasn't into anything.

I'm still going to chat with him on facebook (I don't text). It cannot hurt to every now and then suggest rehab. When he brings up school maybe or something.

Maybe toss in the info about destroying dopamine receptors. The longer this goes on, the more ****ed his brain will get.

Maybe ask him do you want to end up like (mutual friend)?

Old 12-02-2019, 05:14 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:

....... I really don't know him well enough to be getting in his business.....

This ^ ...... Say that again to yourself repeatedly.

So get out of his business, stop being a busy-body and mind your own business. Your concerns are misplaced and are messing with your own mind giving you aspirations of being some kind of savior to a relative stranger by persuading him to go to rehab. Just leave the guy alone.

Old 12-02-2019, 05:21 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post

Yes, you are right.

Old 12-02-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
This ^ ...... Say that again to yourself repeatedly.

So get out of his business, stop being a busy-body and mind your own business. Your concerns are misplaced and are messing with your own mind giving you aspirations of being some kind of savior to a relative stranger by persuading him to go to rehab. Just leave the guy alone.
He's not a stranger, but yeah I get it. As I said above if we keep chatting I will see times to maybe say something. I don't see myself as a savior at all, certainly not aspiring to that. But a friend tries to help!

Old 12-02-2019, 09:07 PM

5,134 posts, read 4,488,293 times
This guy is an absolute zero. From reading your posts, it seems like you like to collect losers for "friends."

Get rid of people who are destroying themselves from your circle. You cannot help them. They will do nothing but wear you out and draw you into their abyss.

You really need to examine why you want to associate with such people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships