Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 03:29 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times

Advertisements

There is a guy I know who I didn't see for a while and his brother told me he lost his car and such. I was really sorry to hear that and finally got to talk to him when he got enough money to turn on his phone. Then it went off again. He can text and call with wifi only.

said he went to jail on a ticket he can never seem to get paid off. They don't let him totally 'sit it out'. Lost hours at work as a result.

He said he took a break from school which REALLY kills me. Only way out of his mess. Come to find out drugs are in play. ICE, meth, whatever people want to call it.

I suggested rehab paid for by the state! He said no worries, he doesn't have any money to buy any anyway. I was like but it messes with your mind. It affects school and work and all that.

What else can I say? I want to go on about it destroying dopamine receptors. Blah blah. Soon he won't be able to keep his job. And it's a crappy job. He was so proud when he started school. Made videos of himself going to and from. Talking about changing his whole life.

If there is a chance in heck I could say something to get him to go to rehab......heck they give you a roof and food! He is couch surfing.

I care about him despite not knowing him long. He is smart. A really nice guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 03:33 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
you gotta be kidding?

Old 12-02-2019, 03:33 PM

319 posts, read 145,552 times
They only go to rehab if they want to go to rehab.

You'll never convince him.

My advice: Stay as far away from him as possible. There's no upside in this relationship for you, only bad can come of it.

Be smart.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
you gotta be kidding?
Which part?

Old 12-02-2019, 03:35 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times
Hmmm. He may be nice but he's definitely not smart. Stop making excuses for him. People need to hit their bottom before they want help. He has not hit that bottom yet. You should really move on. Keep him at a distance. Be a good friend from far away.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Which part?
All of it?!!?!?! This guy is a total disaster from day one when you met and you like that? And you state he is smart? WTF?

Total loser. You gotta be joking.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bursitis View Post
They only go to rehab if they want to go to rehab.

You'll never convince him.

My advice: Stay as far away from him as possible. There's no upside in this relationship for you, only bad can come of it.
Maybe when he doesn't have a place to sleep! Anyway, I know. That is why the title says stupid question. Whatever convinces people to go to rehab, it isn't a friend that isn't even a really close friend for a long time.

What I was mainly thinking is that he doesn't seem in deep yet? More recreational. And therefore easier to quit. I'm just upset. I didn't know this about him. I knew it about his brother, but this guy had a car and a job and school and no reason to think drugs. Until he lost stuff and I just directly asked.

He was dedicated. Work in the day, school at night and then study. That was only a few months ago.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
There is a guy I know who I didn't see for a while and his brother told me he lost his car and such. I was really sorry to hear that and finally got to talk to him when he got enough money to turn on his phone. Then it went off again. He can text and call with wifi only.
(
This should have been enough info to delete his number.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:48 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Maybe when he doesn't have a place to sleep! Anyway, I know. That is why the title says stupid question. Whatever convinces people to go to rehab, it isn't a friend that isn't even a really close friend for a long time.

What I was mainly thinking is that he doesn't seem in deep yet? More recreational. And therefore easier to quit. I'm just upset. I didn't know this about him. I knew it about his brother, but this guy had a car and a job and school and no reason to think drugs. Until he lost stuff and I just directly asked.

He was dedicated. Work in the day, school at night and then study. That was only a few months ago.
There is no telling when he is convinced to go to rehab. Some people in his situation never hit their "bottom" and go to rehab. They never turn it around.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
There is no telling when he is convinced to go to rehab. Some people in his situation never hit their "bottom" and go to rehab. They never turn it around.
I know I've sort of dealt with it before a long time ago so I won't be doing any heroic measures, letting him crash on my couch, or any of that. I had just thought maybe maybe before it takes over his life..........he isn't there yet.

He still has his job. He's getting a cash car. He's still in the game to my mind.

Someone said he isn't smart but he is. I know whether someone is smart by how they hold a conversation, what they talk about. I never saw him high before. I feel like it can't have it's teeth all the way in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships