Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 06:47 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times

Advertisements

Most people keep their jewelry in a jewelry box or drawer. Offsite safety deposit boxes are for high end bling which most of us don't own.

OPs mother should have taken the compensation and fired the company but sounds like she has issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 06:48 AM

4,382 posts, read 2,282,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Most people keep their jewelry in a jewelry box or drawer. Offsite safety deposit boxes are for high end bling which most of us don't own.

OPs mother should have taken the compensation and fired the company but sounds like she has issues.
I agree. Thank you.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:18 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:

Not at other people's houses.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:59 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:

Maybe in their own home... and maybe simple (not fine) jewelry.

Is/was there any evidence that the cleaners stole it? Accusations and threats makes people defensive and they probably offered compensation to avoid a legal battle.

The op knows her mom isn’t stable and yet leaves the jewelry, out on the open, for anyone to take? Including the mom.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Its my fault my jewelry was stolen, and I am partly to blame then, according to you and jencam.

If the thief is found, should they be let off then?

And I deserve no restitution for it?
Did anyone say that? Did anyone imply that? No, you’re trying to justify your actions. Take responsibility for you part in this and learn from it. Get a safe, get a safety deposit box and most of all... keep your stuff in your home.

The thief won’t be found.. unless you’re going to have your mom arrested.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
My son manages office and industrial properties. The cleaners steal frequently and make long distance calls on the phones. He has it all on camera. Sorry you lost your jewelry.
Yes, but he can prove it. This room was open to anyone to was in the house.

Yes, having personal belongings taken does suck, but be proactive for goodness sake

Old 01-08-2020, 08:52 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Maybe in their own home... and maybe simple (not fine) jewelry.

Is/was there any evidence that the cleaners stole it? Accusations and threats makes people defensive and they probably offered compensation to avoid a legal battle.

The op knows her mom isn’t stable and yet leaves the jewelry, out on the open, for anyone to take? Including the mom.
Doesn't matter if there's evidence. Companies that hire people who have access to homes know this kind of thing is not uncommon.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:12 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Its my fault my jewelry was stolen, and I am partly to blame then, according to you and jencam.

If the thief is found, should they be let off then?

And I deserve no restitution for it?
The fault is all on the thief, I doubt anyone here has never made mistakes or always proactive. The only person who had done something wrong is the person who stole your jewelry. Hindsight is always clearer, and everyone has had to learn from them, including those who are criticizing you. I’m sorry this has happened to you.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:20 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Maybe the cleaners took the jewelry, maybe they didn't. Maybe the people down on the corner had a grandson come to visit and he creepy crawls the vacant neighborhood houses and picked up anything small of value, probably looking for prescription drugs, but jewelry would do.

Maybe someone in your family had a guest over who isn't as honest as they thought. Maybe porch pirates decided to take a look around because no one was home and a window was standing open. Maybe a pack rat took it because it was sparkly. Maybe your sister loaned it to a friend and didn't get it back.

You don't know who took your jewelry, OP.

Lots of people steal, even more than that will grab a target of opportunity even if they don't normally steal. Because so many people feel they have a right to take anything they can pry up, smart people protect their valuables from the thieves.

You did not protect your valuables, OP, so while the thief is the one in the wrong, you set yourself up to make it easy for the thief.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:29 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
People who have stolen from me or from people I know, and none of them were cleaning staff. Possibly two years? In that time period any number of people might have taken a peek inside your drawers.

One of my sister's friends stole money from me.

A tenant was have a lot of small thefts until one day there was fresh snow and the police were able to track the thief. It was the teen boy next door, very clean and polite, not anyone you would expect to steal, not in a million years. He was going through her underwear and taking small stuff. He's not the only creep out there who will peek inside a woman's dresser drawers looking for lingerie.

My SIL had an expensive Navajo bridle stolen by a friend of her son who had recently started using drugs. A lifelong friend, never been any problem before, the drug use was new.

My sister thinks she has a right to everything she sees, but I know that about her and won't leave anything where she can get to it, but most people think she is sweet, adorable, and trustworthy. She puts on a good act and has a talent for making people want to help her and take care of her. No one who doesn't know her extremely well would ever expect her to steal. In fact, she doesn't think she is stealing. it's just, if she wants it, it is hers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships