Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 03:41 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,056,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
I dont think any of us imagined someone searching through drawers looking for valuables to steal.

Now I know.
That's exactly what thieves do.

Old 01-07-2020, 04:58 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,065,118 times
Due to the "once a year" inventory, it really could have been anyone from pest control to the plumber that came once 2 years ago. Insurance won't pay a penny as jewelry is frequently excluded from regular coverage (so they can sell you more insurance in the form of an additional policy specifically for the family jewels).

My buddy just bought a 2nd hand dresser for a guest bedroom. He thought he got it cheap until a Movato watch fell out of the bottom of it, then he really got a deal! Apparently that was someone's hiding spot and they forgot to remove the watch when they sold the dresser through a consignment store!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 05:04 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
It's notable that the company apologized and offered compensation. It stands to reason that they also believe that it's possible, maybe even likely, that their employees took the jewelry. I might stay with the company after questioning their screening practices and I would certainly insist on different cleaners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You were careless. Now you want to blame someone and we're supposed to help you point a finger at the "culprit." No thanks.
While more preventative measures could have been taken the only person to blame is the thief.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:08 AM

21,945 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Quote:
Only I knew where they were because I put them there. Besides my sister, nobody else has visited that room in years.

The cleaners come twice a month though and my mother said its not always the same people. Sometimes its someone she's never seen before. They are there left alone to clean all day.

I dont want to suspect people of theft, but its literally the only people who had the opportunity.
I think it's highly probable it was the cleaners. But you shouldn't have left it there knowing people come into the house regularly. I once called a cleaning company that advertised as bonded. I found out it means virtually nothing. I am sorry you lost your jewelry.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:26 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,574,798 times
Quote:
Only my parents live there and they never have guests or friends stay over. Nobody else has keys to the house.

Im not asking to place blame on someone. I know who I believe did it but there is no proof and there wont ever be. The cops agreed to write a report but arent planning to arrest anyone. So the thread isnt a whodunit thread.

I just wanted to vent about it. I feel disappointed in how my mother handled it. It seems insensitive to me and like she sided with the thief rather than me, the victim and her daughter, which seems like a bizarre behavior to me. And its hurtful.
I am not sure which area your parents live in but its possible that there are not a lot of companies around that can handle cleaning. I understand you are upset and who best show anger other than the person whom we've known all our lives? I do that to my mom too until my anger cools down.
I dont see how she was siding with the thief. My friend runs a cleaning company and believe me when I say, there is a LOT of turnover in that area. Whoever did this from that company most probably already left the job and moved on to another. These companies have a specific insurance policies for situations just like this. That is why they offered to compensate. If I've been with that company for years and years, and if I need those kind of services in future, I would accept the compensation and continue with them. Even if you change the agency, there is absolutely no guarantee this wont repeat.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:30 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,056,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Due to the "once a year" inventory, it really could have been anyone from pest control to the plumber that came once 2 years ago. Insurance won't pay a penny as jewelry is frequently excluded from regular coverage (so they can sell you more insurance in the form of an additional policy specifically for the family jewels).

My buddy just bought a 2nd hand dresser for a guest bedroom. He thought he got it cheap until a Movato watch fell out of the bottom of it, then he really got a deal! Apparently that was someone's hiding spot and they forgot to remove the watch when they sold the dresser through a consignment store!

I've heard of jewelry being taped to the back (outside) of drawers in a dresser. Found by the next owner when refinishing.

I can think of a zillion places to hide something small like jewelry, even in a crime-prone area.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:07 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
There are many things we can't imagine our family doing and yet they do. You yourself said "one should never underestimate the capacity for people to be *****"

You "think" you saw it within the last year, but you're not certain. I understand why your mother didn't fire the cleaning people.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:14 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
We have a safety deposit box where my parents keep valuables. The value of the jewelry wasnt huge, but it was gold so there was some value. They were gifts from family so it was more sentimental.

I didnt see it as something someone would go out of their way to steal. The risk didnt seem worth it given the value.
You'd be surprised by what's been stolen by local cleaning people. Clothing, cosmetics, prescription drugs, food. What doesn't seem to have value to you may be of great value to someone else.

Do a google search for 'IL Corporate Lookup' or whatever state your parents live in, and you may find an address.

Your parents got hold of someone the first time who made the offer to compensate you - why not ask her for the contact information she used?

Old 01-07-2020, 07:16 AM

1,350 posts, read 820,127 times
Secret security camera you can set up in that room? Pointed at that dresser (or the secret hiding place). That you can watch from your phone?
Just a thought.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:17 AM

21,945 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Quote:
I was asking if you would have done the same (fire the cleaners or not fire them).

Are you angry at me about something?
I would have fired them. Especially in light of the fact that they offered compensation. I can't believe they actually did that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships