Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 09:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Ok, I never let strangers in my house so I dont know the protocol. I thought my stuff was safer at my parents because their town is one of the safest in the country. Now I know.
Minus the cleaning crew, your assumption would have probably been correct in thinking it would be safe there.

With anyone entering the home, particularly without a family member keeping an eye on them, you put your valuables at risk.

An expensive lesson. If you're younger, I wouldn't expect you to know - but I'm surprised your parents didn't think to tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 09:13 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Quote:
My parents town is very safe. Where I live though theres a drug problem and burglaries. I thought it would be safer there.
Oh. That is ironic. I am sorry you suffered that loss. If the cleaning company offered to pay, can't imagine why they wouldn't be allowed to pay.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:14 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,278,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Minus the cleaning crew, your assumption would have probably been correct in thinking it would be safe there.

With anyone entering the home, particularly without a family member keeping an eye on them, you put your valuables at risk.

An expensive lesson. If you're younger, I wouldn't expect you to know - but I'm surprised your parents didn't think to tell you.
I dont think any of us imagined someone searching through drawers looking for valuables to steal.

Now I know.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Oh. That is ironic. I am sorry you suffered that loss. If the cleaning company offered to pay, can't imagine why they wouldn't be allowed to pay.
I think my mother should have let them. Im kind of annoyed she refused.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:17 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
If they are bonded and insured let their insurance deal with it.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
If they are bonded and insured let their insurance deal with it.
I asked about that but they are not.

We considered small claims court (before they offered my mom compensation) but they only have a po box, so, they cant be served with papers. And we dont even know a full name of an owner. Only a business name.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:27 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I agree.

Is this your house that is empty except when you visit?

Old 01-06-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree.

Is this your house that is empty except when you visit?
Its the house my parents live at. I visit about once or twice per year.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:25 PM

17,676 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
I asked about that but they are not.

We considered small claims court (before they offered my mom compensation) but they only have a po box, so, they cant be served with papers. And we dont even know a full name of an owner. Only a business name.
The business may only advertise a PO Box, but I believe the business has to have a physical address on file with the state. The reason why is so they can be served with papers. This of course assumes the business is legit and is registered with the state.

Honestly, though, I think you'd be wasting your time with small claims court. Unless you have pictures of the jewelry, along with either receipts or an appraisal, you'll have a very difficult time proving the value.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
If you were concerned about long term safekeeping, you should have purchased a safe deposit box for you jewelry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships