Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 10:46 AM

4,382 posts, read 2,282,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I'll take your word for it. But I would question your assertion that no one else had access to it.

Did your family ever have parties at the house? Did someone bring home a boyfriend or girlfriend? My point is that I doubt the jewelry was QUITE as isolated as you think.

No, my parents don't have parties. As I said, literally the only people that had the opportunity were the cleaners. I don't suspect my sister at all. She was the only other one that stayed in the room. She is not a thief of any kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 10:51 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Only my parents live there and they never have guests or friends stay over. Nobody else has keys to the house.

Im not asking to place blame on someone. I know who I believe did it but there is no proof and there wont ever be. The cops agreed to write a report but arent planning to arrest anyone. So the thread isnt a whodunit thread.

I just wanted to vent about it. I feel disappointed in how my mother handled it. It seems insensitive to me and like she sided with the thief rather than me, the victim and her daughter, which seems like a bizarre behavior to me. And its hurtful.
The fact that they apologized and offered to pay it back leads me to think that they had someone they had to fire recently for stealing. I'd feel the same if I were you.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:52 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Maybe your mother found it and gave it away....lol.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The fact that they apologized and offered to pay it back leads me to think that they had someone they had to fire recently for stealing. I'd feel the same if I were you.

Thank you. Yes, that's exactly what I thought. And that makes it their fault, as well, because their vetting process was lacking. They should be doing background checks, checking references, doing drug tests, if they hire people.

I think its foolish to continue with this company now. They are not even insured.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:11 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:

Thank you. Yes, that's exactly what I thought. And that makes it their fault, as well, because their vetting process was lacking. They should be doing background checks, checking references, doing drug tests, if they hire people.
No system is foolproof. Theft is a problem in these industries, where people are paid low wages to do hard jobs that most people don't want to do. Even top-rated companies can have a bad employee, and the best companies get rid of those people ASAP.

Background checks only catch people who've been caught before.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:40 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,235,883 times
I would not think anything of leaving jewelry at my parents house in a drawer either. Unless I was aware workers would be in the house unsupervised. All it takes is one bad one.

Old 01-07-2020, 03:24 PM

1,350 posts, read 820,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields
Secret security camera you can set up in that room? Pointed at that dresser (or the secret hiding place). That you can watch from your phone?
Just a thought.

The horse is out of the barn now.

To set it up to catch them in the act for next time. Since OP is pretty sure it was the cleaning company, and they weren't fired and are still coming to the house, set up a Teddy Bear Nanny Cam type security camera, set out a costume jewelry bracelet as bait near her hiding spot, and see if she can get video proof. No way to get proof for the other theft.

Safe deposit box is not very practical for jewelry, where are some good hiding places in a house anyway?

Old 01-07-2020, 11:41 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,915,651 times
The theft is bad enough but not accepting the return of the items or compensation makes me wonder if your mom has issues such as alzheimers to turn down the compensation and just go on with these people like all is okay.

Old 01-08-2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
The theft is bad enough but not accepting the return of the items or compensation makes me wonder if your mom has issues such as alzheimers to turn down the compensation and just go on with these people like all is okay.
More like mental health issues. My mother has betrayed me in ways like this before (and acted in poor judgment). I was beginning to forget and think I had judged her too hard, but this was a reminder to me of a pattern of behavior I dealt with for a long time.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:37 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:
Recently I discovered that all of the fine jewelry I have was missing from the place I keep it in my guest room in my family's house (in another state, not my current residence). I have kept that jewelry there for years and years and know for a fact I didn't move it anywhere else, or pawn it, or give it away. A police report was made and an insurance claim will be made. (I kept the jewelry there because the only time I wore it is was when I was there.)

The only people we can imagine it could have been were the cleaners, as they are the only ones who have had access, besides first degree family, and I personally don't suspect any first degree family of doing it.

My mother confronted the cleaning company and they apologized profusely for it and offered compensation, which my mother declined, and then decided to continue with that company.

If this happened to you, would you have continued with the cleaning company, given all the information above?
This wouldn’t be me because my fine jewelry wouldn’t be in someone else’s house to babysit. It would be in my home, in my jewelry box or safe or safety deposit box.

Maybe the cleansers took the jewelry, maybe they didn’t. You have no idea because there’s no evidence they did... so why fire them. Your moms house your moms call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships