Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 11:34 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,915,651 times

Advertisements

You said "My mother confronted the cleaning company and they apologized profusely for it and offered compensation". But they didn't take it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 11:47 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,282,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The business may only advertise a PO Box, but I believe the business has to have a physical address on file with the state. The reason why is so they can be served with papers. This of course assumes the business is legit and is registered with the state.

Honestly, though, I think you'd be wasting your time with small claims court. Unless you have pictures of the jewelry, along with either receipts or an appraisal, you'll have a very difficult time proving the value.
We just considered small claims for a bit but abandoned the idea.

I think its a fishy business. At the very least they dont screen their cleaners enough.

They did volunteer compensation, as I said, but my mother felt the need to refuse compensation and then not even fire them.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
You said "My mother confronted the cleaning company and they apologized profusely for it and offered compensation". But they didn't take it?
My mother refused the compensation. Why? I dont know but Im annoyed.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:16 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
A hard lesson. If, in the future, you get any more valuable jewelry, a safety deposit box at a bank doesn't cost much.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:34 AM

We have a safety deposit box where my parents keep valuables. The value of the jewelry wasnt huge, but it was gold so there was some value. They were gifts from family so it was more sentimental.

I didnt see it as something someone would go out of their way to steal. The risk didnt seem worth it given the value.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:49 AM

Ive never had anything stolen before, except a bike when I was a kid, and a "friend" borrowed a camera and then ghosted me. But not like this.

I guess I trusted my mother was making wise decisions in who she was letting in the house unsupervised, and I didnt think everything worth more than pocket change had to be locked up. Thats ridiculous.

It just sucks because the stuff is irreplacable not because of monetary value but sentimental value.

I guess one should never underestimate the capacity for people to be *****?

Old 01-07-2020, 01:03 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
You think I should be admonished and not the thief?

The jewelry was somewhat hidden. Not out in the open or even in a jewelry box on a shelf. The thief had to search through the drawers to find it.
Or...they knew it was there.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:12 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Hmm, so both your parents live there and your sister at least knows where the jewelry was; who else lives there? Do you have any other siblings? Are there nieces and nephews in the family? Do they or anyone else ever visit? Do they ever have friends with them? Do the people who live there ever go away? Does a neighbor or anyone else check the house while they're gone? Does a neighbor or another relative have a key to the house for emergencies?

Old 01-07-2020, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Hmm, so both your parents live there and your sister at least knows where the jewelry was; who else lives there? Do you have any other siblings? Are there nieces and nephews in the family? Do they or anyone else ever visit? Do they ever have friends with them? Do the people who live there ever go away? Does a neighbor or anyone else check the house while they're gone? Does a neighbor or another relative have a key to the house for emergencies?
Only my parents live there and they never have guests or friends stay over. Nobody else has keys to the house.

Im not asking to place blame on someone. I know who I believe did it but there is no proof and there wont ever be. The cops agreed to write a report but arent planning to arrest anyone. So the thread isnt a whodunit thread.

I just wanted to vent about it. I feel disappointed in how my mother handled it. It seems insensitive to me and like she sided with the thief rather than me, the victim and her daughter, which seems like a bizarre behavior to me. And its hurtful.

Last edited by moongirl00; 01-07-2020 at 01:27 AM..

Old 01-07-2020, 01:38 AM

17,752 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You were careless. Now you want to blame someone and we're supposed to help you point a finger at the "culprit." No thanks.
Rough day, fluffy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships