Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 01:11 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The criteria seems to get narrower and narrower...

And I wouldn't try to claim anything that's connected to the Mummers Parade myself.
I added additional information. Think whatever you want & just keep arguing the point if it makes you feel good. I said it's both. Another poster in my age group who is a native posted that that's what she was taught - in North Carolina. Other NC natives in my age group have posted the same in the past. Locally, natives have made comments to that effect, in real life. I'm sticking with my opinion, which matches what I was taught. It's both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 01:37 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I added additional information. Think whatever you want & just keep arguing the point if it makes you feel good. I said it's both. Another poster in my age group who is a native posted that that's what she was taught - in North Carolina. Other NC natives in my age group have posted the same in the past. Locally, natives have made comments to that effect, in real life. I'm sticking with my opinion, which matches what I was taught. It's both.
Seems like a few people in your generation were the only people who were taught that, which is interesting since DC/Baltimore/Virginia's inclusion in the mid-Atlantic is relatively recent thing itself. Nobody in my generation (early Gen X/late Gen Y) seems to have been taught that.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:53 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
i've never learned NC as midatlantic i've learned there was the south and "deep south" which i guess is the same thing ??

Old 03-06-2017, 02:30 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I think I'm just about your generation southbound and I was never taught that either.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think I'm just about your generation southbound and I was never taught that either.
Well, the frosting on the cake, which I usually don't bring up is that I was taught that NYC is in a category of it's own, & was not included in the MidAtlantic. Of all of the years that I lived in South Jersey, I tend to agree with that too. I see similarities between Philadelphia & points south, not with NYC, other than being big old cities.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
i've never learned NC as midatlantic i've learned there was the south and "deep south" which i guess is the same thing ??
Nah, the Deep South is typically contrasted with the Upper South. The Deep South states would be LA, MS, AL, GA, SC, and FL while the Upper South states would be VA, NC, TN, KY, etc. The Deep South is also defined as the lower part of the Black Belt region that stretches from eastern TX eastward and would include southeastern AR, western TX, northern FL, and a wide swath of eastern NC.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:52 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
After living in the west, California, I spent decades in the nawth. Massachusetts. We decided we wanted to move to the mid Atlantic and chose NC. NC was on our "mid" Atlantic radar, because we took out a map and divided the east coast into three sections and NC was in the middle section.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villages Guy View Post
After living in the west, California, I spent decades in the nawth. Massachusetts. We decided we wanted to move to the mid Atlantic and chose NC. NC was on our "mid" Atlantic radar, because we took out a map and divided the east coast into three sections and NC was in the middle section.
That's not really how the mid-Atlantic is defined, but cool.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Maybe. I was taught that Kentucky was an overlapping area as well. . .the South & the Midwest.

Keep in mind that, historically, it's all mud. There were still a handful of slaves in NJ at the time of the Civil War. They were renamed apprentice for life. They were still slaves by another name. The NJ legislature debated joining the Confederacy but didn't because Delaware had no interest in seceding.

There were segregated schools in South Jersey until about WWII. There was nothing magical about the Mason-Dixon line.

Yes, NC was a big tobacco producer, but one of my ancestors grew tobacco in Maryland & part of the disputed area of Maryland/Pennsylvania, before the Mason - Dixon line.

Virginia & NC made provisions for Quakers during the Civil War. Our State magazine had an article about a group that was actively working against the Confederacy.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:08 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,858 times
I, as a NC native, was always taught in school, family, everywhere, that NC is in the South. There was no debate.

I have found people though (no offense but mostly liberal leaning people) that prefer to be "mid-Atlantic" to the "South" as they see as being in the South as 'beneath them'.

I also have family in Georgia (Atlanta) and no kidding there are transplants from up north that refuse to admit they are living in the South and even though they live in Atlanta they think they live in some "geographical purgatory" it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina