Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Amendment 1
Yes, I support it 27 18.49%
No, I do not support it 119 81.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:41 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,711,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
The "protection" argument is nothing more than a red herring. Why can't you people just come out and say exactly why you support laws like this? You find homosexuality "icky" even though it has absolutely no effect on your life or the lives of your families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
Enjoy your "victory" while you can. It won't last.
And it will be costly. According to NC attorney general Roy Cooper, "Amendment One's lack of clarity will also result in a significant amount of litigation on many issues which will be decided by courts for years to come." The upshot is that it is likely that millions of NC taxpayer dollars will be pumped into various legal battles related to this vote for a long time to come.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:48 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,023,800 times
So, you can still marry your cousin, just not your gay cousin.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:49 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,204,596 times
Here's the meat, for anyone interested:

Dumb people...

Old 05-09-2012, 01:57 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,587,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Here's the meat, for anyone interested:

Dumb people...
Some of the smartest people I've ever met didn't have a degree. Some of the best free thinkers I ever met didn't have a degree. Some of the most indoctrinated people I ever met had 4 year or longer degrees. I'm sorry but getting a degree doesn't show intelligence.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
Despite this media driven blitzkrieg, the gay marriage movement remains the minority.....a fact supported time and again at the polls through the democratic process that made this country great to begin with. In addition, I find it conveniently ironic that the faction who continually cry "inotolerance" to a proven majority of American citizens seem to be the same faction who are perpetually unaccepting of these completely fair and lawful election results.
So...if a majority voted to reinstate slavery, repeal suffrage, prohibit Christians from gathering to worship together, or anything else for that matter, you would be ok with that since it is what the majority voted for. Got it.

Quote:
Stop and consider, gay marriage proponents: There are millions of good people across America that simply do not subscribe to your lifestyle. They don't want their kids growing up thinking it's ok to marry a person of the same sex, because to them it is against the laws of nature, and yes.....against the teachings of their religious affiliations.
I don't subscribe to Catholic dogma. I would not subject my kids to the teachings of that religion. But, at the same time, I would never deny the rights of others to practice that particular religion. And the simple fact is that the religious practices of some people does not interfere with my personal life, or that of my family, one single bit.

I fail to understand the thought process of those who supported this Amendment - how does allowing a gay couple to marry have any effect on their personal life in any way, shape or form? This question has been asked before, but no one has yet provided an answer.

Quote:
Most of them do not bear you any ill will...
They just want certain people to mind their place.

Quote:
If the rest of America is such a pit of backwardness to you, then I suggest you high tail it to one of those spots, pronto, so as to be free of the supposed oppression that has befallen you.
Ah...the ol "love it or leave it" argument - always a sign of a lack of a rational response. Nah - I'd rather stay here and do my part to overthrow and eliminate such backwards thinking from the laws of my country.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:59 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,587,151 times
This marriage amendment is already having repercussions. Obama is now supporting same sex marriage. This might seal his fate come this fall.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Some of the smartest people I've ever met didn't have a degree. Some of the best free thinkers I ever met didn't have a degree. Some of the most indoctrinated people I ever met had 4 year or longer degrees. I'm sorry but getting a degree doesn't show intelligence.
let me guess... you live in Rowan County?

lololololol.

well let me counter you here. the smartest people I've met, all had advanced degrees. And the smartest man I know has a Ph.D. I'd wager my entire worth that he'd humble anyone you've ever brushed across, especially your preacher.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:01 PM

19,743 posts, read 20,300,567 times

smh...

Relieved to live in a county that voted NO. Pretty grossed out by the rest of the state however...

Old 05-09-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
two people can be "married" according to their religion without being legally married according to the government (and vice versa, for that matter). Therefore it seems that the "institution of marriage" to which I assume you are referring (religious/divine) is completely separate from what Amendment 1 is legislating, which is the legal contract of a relationship as defined by NC state government (not a religious entity).

Again, I do not understand why the religious institution of marriage needs to fear a minority group that wishes to establish legal relationships recognized by a government rather than a religious entity. Please do explain so I can understand this perspective.

IMHO, society needs to start distinguishing more between "holy matrimony" and being legally married in the eyes of the government.
Well put.

When my wife and I were married, it was a completely civil ceremony. There was not a single mention of god or religion during our wedding ceremony at all. All that mattered to us is that were were "legally" married - we could care less what any religious institution thinks of our marriage.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:11 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina