Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 04:42 PM

34,114 posts, read 83,086,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I'd rather they ban smoking outside on the sidewalk or in public places
and let individual business owners decide what to do inside their businesses.
most businesses have reported INCREASED sales and profits without smokers.
The outside smokers are the next chapter.
Well, they were before now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 07:58 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,742,691 times
I hate the smokers that stand at the doorways of business. You have to smell their stench just to go in. Ugh.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:29 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,725,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
I'm curious what your angle with the question is.

It's not like the alcohol in someone's drink has any danger of spreading to you as you walk past them, so it's not really analogous if that's what you were aiming for.
Maybe you aren't aware that non-drinkers also smell booze on drinkers.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:00 AM

127 posts, read 223,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Do you drink?
That has nothing to do with this individuals statement, and you know it. The only way drinkers can impose their choice on other's is if they are illegally drinking while driving, which unfortunately still happens a lot. Since smoking is an air purity problem, it is entirely different. And please do not give me that bull**** about car engines, which has no proof behind it. That second hand smoke is bad for everyones health is supported by tons of epidemiological studies.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:07 AM

127 posts, read 223,749 times
Quote:
The individuals statement has to do with air purity, not smells. Asthma is not effected by the 'smell' of something, but by its combustion particles and the degree to which they irritate the lining of the lungs, not their unpleasantness to the olfactory sense.

The end.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:53 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,196,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling_Alien View Post
The individuals statement has to do with air purity, not smells. Asthma is not effected by the 'smell' of something, but by its combustion particles and the degree to which they irritate the lining of the lungs, not their unpleasantness to the olfactory sense.

The end.
Plus, I've never known of anyone to get a liver disease from second hand alcohol breath. I've also never gone home with the smell of someone else's alcohol on my clothes or have had to flush out my nostrils to stop smelling beer or vodka I was exposed to.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:07 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,725,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Plus, I've never known of anyone to get a liver disease from second hand alcohol breath. I've also never gone home with the smell of someone else's alcohol on my clothes or have had to flush out my nostrils to stop smelling beer or vodka I was exposed to.
Nor have you ever been in danger of being run down by someone who had one cigarette too many before leaving a bar. Anybody ever been beaten to a bloody pulp or killed by someone who had too much to smoke? Do college boys ply young girls with cigarettes & then rape them?

Cigarettes & liquor have both been considered vices for a very long time. The focus used to be on booze & we had Prohibition. How'd that work out?

Old 07-20-2013, 11:34 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,368,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling_Alien View Post
That has nothing to do with this individuals statement, and you know it. The only way drinkers can impose their choice on other's is if they are illegally drinking while driving, which unfortunately still happens a lot. Since smoking is an air purity problem, it is entirely different. And please do not give me that bull**** about car engines, which has no proof behind it. That second hand smoke is bad for everyones health is supported by tons of epidemiological studies.
Please! Actually, I WAS going to go there with the comment about smokers in Manhattan. Get away from the smokers, but no comment about the vehicle exhaust while walking on the sidewalk just inches from 4 lanes of traffic. No proof that vehicle exhaust is dangerous???! You mean like these articles?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/13/he...aust.html?_r=0
EHHI :: The Harmful Effects of Vehicle Exhaust
Car exhaust linked to childhood cancers, study finds | Fox News
Report Links Vehicle Exhaust to Health Problems (700 peer-reviewed studies) - Democratic Underground
Birth defects linked to car exhaust - San Francisco Chronicle
Autism linked to car exhaust in a new study | GlobalPost
Study: Car exhaust turns good cholesterol into bad « Greenfudge.org
Exhaust-ing ride for cyclists: Air pollutants trigger heart risk — Environmental Health News
Diesel Exhaust
Car Exhaust Associated With Premature Births in Southern California: Scientific American
Why Traffic Jams Are Bad for Your Health - WSJ.com

Selective research much?

Old 07-20-2013, 05:26 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,579,952 times
Quote:
With this logic colognes & perfumes should be banned.
Walking through a group of drinkers won't leave you wreaking of alcohol as walking through a group of smokers would.
The alcohol being consumed at a nearby table won't waft in your direction ruining the taste of your meal the way cigarette smoke does.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:11 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,368,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
With this logic colognes & perfumes should be banned.
Personally, I am ALL FOR this! Some of those scents are enough to make me leave my meal at the restaurant. And yes, I have done so before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina