Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,258,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I don't think it should be banned anywhere honestly and I don't smoke and I HATE the smell of it. I was just saying, it's easier to avoid it if I know a particular store or restaurant doesn't ban it. I thought it would be easy to avoid outside too, but walking in Manhattan it was not! I was seriously shocked by the numbers of smokers I saw there. With that being said I'm not for government banning it, but banning it in a "public" place would make more sense to me, then forcing private business owners to ban it.
Smoking bans not only consider the customer but also the employees of those establishments. Now, before I get told that working at these places can be avoided, consider the high unemployment rate that continues in NC and for the young worker in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 11:01 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,727,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling_Alien View Post
That has nothing to do with this individuals statement, and you know it. The only way drinkers can impose their choice on other's is if they are illegally drinking while driving, which unfortunately still happens a lot. Since smoking is an air purity problem, it is entirely different.
And it wa a problem that could have been easily avoided back when it was up to individual businesses to decide whether or not to allow smoking in their establishments or not. If a place allowed smoking, one could simply go to another place that did not allow it, thereby avoiding it completely. Drunk drivers, on the other hand, frequently do not advertise themselves before they cause an accident.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 PM

127 posts, read 224,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

Whatever people eat or drink changes body odors.
This is not about how pleasant an odor is to your olfactory sense. It is about the right for people with severe asthma and allergies to cigarettes to not have to cope with it in public places, especially their apartment complexes. Again, I cite dozens of Epidemiological studies that show a clear correlation between second hand smoke, the onset of Asthma attacks in both children and Adults, and allergic reactions, not to mention more long term health outcomes.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
And it wa a problem that could have been easily avoided back when it was up to individual businesses to decide whether or not to allow smoking in their establishments or not. If a place allowed smoking, one could simply go to another place that did not allow it, thereby avoiding it completely. Drunk drivers, on the other hand, frequently do not advertise themselves before they cause an accident.
You are making a faulty comparison. Drunk driving incidences have gone down since the implementation of strict penalties against it were introduced. There has been a 69% reduction in these incidents, despite the fact that the population has gone up, since stats were taken in the early 1980s.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I don't think it should be banned anywhere honestly and I don't smoke and I HATE the smell of it. I was just saying, it's easier to avoid it if I know a particular store or restaurant doesn't ban it. I thought it would be easy to avoid outside too, but walking in Manhattan it was not! I was seriously shocked by the numbers of smokers I saw there. With that being said I'm not for government banning it, but banning it in a "public" place would make more sense to me, then forcing private business owners to ban it.
It should be banned in places where a person with Severe Asthma or allergy would have a nearly impossible time avoiding it, such as apartment complexes and other public places. Just like drunk driving is banned to prevent accidents in places that must be shared by other drivers. Which I might add, has been a statistical success.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:34 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,820,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling_Alien View Post
This is not about how pleasant an odor is to your olfactory sense. It is about the right for people with severe asthma and allergies to cigarettes to not have to cope with it in public places, especially their apartment complexes. Again, I cite dozens of Epidemiological studies that show a clear correlation between second hand smoke, the onset of Asthma attacks in both children and Adults, and allergic reactions, not to mention more long term health outcomes.
Apartment complexes are not public property. If a landlord wants a smoke-free complex that is his right. The complaint that I initially responded to was smoking on public sidewalks. That certainly is olfactory as the smoke is dispersing & public sidewalk is just that, public.

If you do not understand what went on in Prohibition, & what was behind it, I suggest that you learn.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:54 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,727,530 times
Quote:
Apartment complexes are not public property. If a landlord wants a smoke-free complex that is his right.
Exactly. And if they allow smoking on their property, be it anywhere, or just in outside spaces (like patios and balconies) that is their right too. If smoking in an apartment complex is something that a person would object to, for any reason, all they have to do is ask about the complex's smoking policy and, if they don't like it, they go look at another apartment.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:02 PM

34,199 posts, read 83,379,891 times
Quote:
If you do not understand what went on in Prohibition, & what was behind it, I suggest that you learn.
If they only had the nerve to make cigarettes illegal nationally.
That would be just wonderful.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:04 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,820,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If they only had the nerve to make cigarettes illegal nationally.
That would be just wonderful.
No, it would be dumb to repeat the mistake that was Prohibition.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Apartment complexes are not public property. If a landlord wants a smoke-free complex that is his right. The complaint that I initially responded to was smoking on public sidewalks. That certainly is olfactory as the smoke is dispersing & public sidewalk is just that, public.

I can show you a handful of studies which disagree with that. But I do agree that when it is in a consistently confined space, the effects are worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina