Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2016, 09:31 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times

Advertisements

I just needed a break from the who-pee-where threads. Then-again, THIS IS one of those threads too.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:38 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,968,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Well, Charlotte tried to pass what some claim to be a "forward thinking" ordinance that the left & some artists claim was all it and the powers that be in the Capitol city of Raleigh put out HB2. Need anything more be said when comparing & contrasting the two cities?
I am very proud of Charlotte for passing its ordinance, and very disappointed that my state government chose to destroy NC's brand and cost this state jobs and businesses.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 04-18-2016 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: Corrected the misquote

Old 04-18-2016, 09:39 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Well, Charlotte tried to pass what some claim to be a "forward thinking" ordinance that the left & some artists claim was all it and the powers that be in the Capitol city of Raleigh put out HB2. Need anything more be said when comparing & contrasting the two cities?
Huh?

Raleigh is the capital. The legislature meets in the capitol building. The legislature comes from all over the state. How do you equate the actions of the legislature to the city of Raleigh.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:35 AM

530 posts, read 638,019 times
Quote:
How do you equate the actions of the legislature to the city of Raleigh.
You can't of course. I found that comment incredibly bizarre. Obviously the actions of the state assembly don't represent the city of Raleigh, anymore than say the actions of US congress represents the people of the DC metro.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:47 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
You can't of course. I found that comment incredibly bizarre. Obviously the actions of the state assembly don't represent the city of Raleigh, anymore than say the actions of US congress represents the people of the DC metro.
I thought that the original question was a touch weird. it quickly devolved to the usual p*ssing contest sprinkled with some really bizarre comments that just make you think Where is the logic in that?.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:51 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
Quote:
You can't be serious...Mod Edit Just because Raleigh is the state capital and the General Assembly meets there and also happens to currently be where McCrory takes his morning leak doesn't mean that the city of Raleigh is responsible for HB2. The clowns in the GA come from all areas of the state. You could swing it that Raleigh is guilty by association (which itself is a lame argument), but to blame a capital city for the actions of the state is BS.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 04-18-2016 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: Do not accuse members of that. It is against the T.O.S.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:36 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Not true, maybe not a plethora of "specialized" non-chain restaurants, but there are nice restaurants in uptown and surrounding neighborhoods: Merts Heart and Soul, Bentleys, Alexander Michaels, etc...there are quite a few. You are absolutely off the mark on that one. If you think places like Ruth Chris, Flemings, etc aren't nice because they are "chains" is absurd.

Both metros have some very nice restaurants.
Both metros do,I agree. That I'm sure you know wasn't the point though. As always it's about downtown and uptown. Nothing else seem to matter.

As far a chain vs non chain resturants. Chains can be nice. But they lack originality. No one comes to Charlotte to visit Flemmings. People will come to Raleigh to visit,Death and Taxes for example. The same way people will come to try many of the food trucks that frequent DT Raleigh. Especially with the new relaxed rules DT.

Chains are fine. I've been to many uptown. Enjoyed most of them. But its not the same thing,sorry.

Btw haven't been to Mert's. Wife says it's overrated. Will have to check it out on my own.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:41 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Both metros do,I agree. That I'm sure you know wasn't the point though. As always it's about downtown and uptown. Nothing else seem to matter.

As far a chain vs non chain resturants. Chains can be nice. But they lack originality. No one comes to Charlotte to visit Flemmings. People will come to Raleigh to visit,Death and Taxes for example. The same way people will come to try many of the food trucks that frequent DT Raleigh. Especially with the new relaxed rules DT.

Chains are fine. I've been to many uptown. Enjoyed most of them. But its not the same thing,sorry.

Btw haven't been to Mert's. Wife says it's overrated. Will have to check it out on my own.
I find that true for a lot of non-chains and a couple in DT Raleigh that I've experienced. Charlotte isn't lacking in the non-chain department as much as you think. I don't think you know as much about the place as claimed and no matter what it'll be sub-standard in your opinion. No, people do not come to visit Raleigh, Charlotte, DC, etc because of a restaurant. Usually finding good eats is a by-product of a visit (chain or non-chain). I spend most of my time/residency in Durham and Charlotte so more acquainted with those two city offerings. First time hearing of Death and Taxes, but will try it out when I get a chance.

In my opinion and travels, mid to upscale chains (Del Frisco, etc) can compete with any non-chain. And hard to beat the consistency. There are a lot of subpar and overrated ballyhooed non-chains....sorry, but that's the damn truth so boasting about that is much ado about nothing.

The I-277 loop chokes downtown/uptown Charlotte into a 1.5 mile square, however the near neighborhoods like Elizabeths, etc have good eats like the Cajun Queen, etc. (good music too).

Food trucks are everywhere in every city now, not sure about that point. That said, Durham packs the biggest punch for city it's size in the foodie category.

There a lot of very good non-chains uptown and surrounding area...I just don't think you know very much about the area and refuse to take advice or do Google, they're everywhere and like most places, some live up to the hype, some don't.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 04-18-2016 at 07:52 PM..

Old 04-18-2016, 08:26 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Both Charlotte Observer and the Raleigh NewsObswrver are filled with HB2 articles. And not just duplicate stories, both have their owns. But it seems the axe is coming down hard on Wake County this week (after CLT took a shalacking).

http://youtu.be/51XOsYMsE2M

^ For those who like mass transit, especially around the 4:15 mark, this a nice video of CLT's mass transit.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 04-18-2016 at 08:38 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 10:47 AM

265 posts, read 270,037 times
I can't believe this thread is still going. It wasn't worthy of 1 response, let alone 16 pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina