Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2019, 02:39 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times

Advertisements

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/la...231676283.html

Governor McMaster of SC and local and county officials in SC are pushing for Light rail to Charlotte. They're pushing even deeper into South Carolina than what was previously planned for the new Panthers facility. McMaster has mentioned several times about light rail being apart of the Panthers deal.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
He listed attributes of SC and named things clearly not in SC. If you can’t crack a joke at that, you are a tad uptight. People are too sensitive about something so trivial.
Augusta, Charlotte and Savannah are all right there on the border. Just like Charlotte is convenient to the Beach and Mountains. Or Jersey is there are NYC. etc.

South Carolina is a great state. I mean. Personally, I think SC is so much better than so many other states, for personal preferences. Indiana, Maine, Alabama, Kentucky, Kansas, Nebraska, and many more. Give me palmettos and all those great cities and coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/la...231676283.html

Governor McMaster of SC and local and county officials in SC are pushing for Light rail to Charlotte. They're pushing even deeper into South Carolina than what was previously planned for the new Panthers facility. McMaster has mentioned several times about light rail being apart of the Panthers deal.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:31 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I understand the term “Carolinas” as used for air conditioning companies and the like. I just think as far as professional teams go, I’d like us to do better. City-specific preferable. Charlotte is a tad different just because of location though I can’t imagine the Carolina Hornets. But the Hurricanes should be different. To be fair to lil’ Carolina, I feel the same about other regional names as well. They watch the Celtics just as much as the Patriots in Vermont, people aren’t detached because it isn’t called New England
Whether you want to admit it or not, the professional teams depend on a wider swath of both states for full support and attendance.

Charlotte was and still is a tad smaller than most big cities that can carry a professional sports team all by themselves.

I'll bet no one in Raleigh has ever, ever, wished that Hurricanes be named exclusively for Raleigh.

My God, I'm about to wish for a petition to remove Charlotte from North Carolina. True North Carolineans are loyal to the whole state.

I said it before, but perhaps from your perspective in Western NC, the rest of the state does look pretty bad. Thankfully most people know that rest of the state has many other regional differences from the textile/mountaineous area.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:45 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Well. The Carolinas is used in every way by local business, media, chamber of commerce, etc. in Charlotte. Of course no one say “I’m from the Carolinas” or “I have to go to the Carolinas.” .... it’s more like “The Carolinas are a great place for ....” or “Serving the Carolinas” “a tropical storm is expected to impact the Carolinas” etc.

You’re using “Carolinas” as if it were singular. It’s plural. Unless it’s a team or something specifically named Carolina.

And yes. SC benefits from being close to CLT, Augusta and Savannah
After graduating from NC State in 1991, I drove to LA in my Honda Accord without a driver's license. NC had taken it away for a year due to a speeding ticket.

Driving the I-40 route, I had no idea that the Western States that touch Mexico have inspection stations for everyone entering the state. They're looking for illegal immigrants and making sure you're not bringing in produce that could be contaminated with some disease or pest.

As I slowed to stop, very scared since I had no driver's license to show the 70 yr. old man,....

He looked at the safety inspection sticker NC used to require on the windshield, and said,

"Coming from the Carolinas?" I nodded yes,

and he moved his arm like a price-is-right model indicating that California is welcoming me in.

I'll never forget that, lol.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:38 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,322,252 times
Oh wow, what did I start.

I completely understand the meaning and reasoning for the “Carolina” name in terms of major league sports, but it really isn’t needed. The Carolina Hurricanes are 3 hours away from the state line. The Kansas City Chiefs are named after the city the team plays in despite representing a metro area that includes Missouri and Kansas, Charlotte’s Panthers should be no different.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post

I completely understand the meaning and reasoning for the “Carolina” name in terms of major league sports, but it really isn’t needed. The Carolina Hurricanes are 3 hours away from the state line. The Kansas City Chiefs are named after the city the team plays in despite representing a metro area that includes Missouri and Kansas, Charlotte’s Panthers should be no different.
Boston Patriots and Charlotte Panthers and Raleigh Hurricanes.

Hm.

Kanssouri, Kansas-Missouri, Misskan, however you’d wanna combine them doesn’t have the same ring as Carolina.

On a separate note. I’ll be in RDU this weekend. Spirit has killer deals out of BWI.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 06-19-2019 at 08:28 PM..

Old 06-20-2019, 06:45 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
Ruh-roh.

Truliant sues BB&T, SunTrust over post-merger name Truist | The Wilson Times

Old 06-20-2019, 06:49 AM

678 posts, read 738,526 times
Truist is a dumb name for a bank

Old 06-20-2019, 07:02 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post

You know that Kansas City is the name of two cities right? The one on the MO side and the one on the KS side, so it's still a regional designation.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:02 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,701,053 times
My favorite thing in this thread is architect77 responding to Heel82 (who lives in Raleigh-Durham and thought teams should be named for cities) and saying "I'll bet no one in Raleigh has ever, ever, wished that Hurricanes be named exclusively for Raleigh."

Well... I guess we found one!

I like how the opinion of Heel82, who again, lives in Raleigh-Durham and thinks teams should be named for cities, results in architect77 saying, "My God, I'm about to wish for a petition to remove Charlotte from North Carolina. True North Carolineans are loyal to the whole state." So RDU person wants Charlotte Panthers = Charlotte be removed from state?

Good times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina