Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2019, 08:19 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Calling Fuquay "far-flung" is rich considering Charlotte loves to dive deep in SC to get its millions of people.

Why are the parameters always shifting to prove how much bigger Charlotte is? One minute it's the huge CSA compared to just Raleigh's portion of the Triangle...

Then the next minute it's the dense in-town neighborhoods that are counted...

Always favoring Charlotte to get the biggest appearance of Charlotte "twice the size" of Raleigh.

Never mentioned is if it's the city limits, which would be true and just like the San Antonio or San Diego's claims of being in the top 5 of the biggest cities...

By not clarifying the implication is twice as big of a metro, which is not true.

Notice the two core counties are never given any importance for comparing, nor is Cary ever added with Raleigh's city limits which are indistinguishable without a demarking sign....

And considering the Triangle as one metro, like it had always been throughout history until 10 years ago, is always regards as a favor or a stretch of the rules, never by default which is common sense.

All I have to say is, "It's like trying to be cool...The harder one tries, the less successful they are."

Charlotte needs to stop proving that it's a big city. Don't think the need for validation goes unnoticed by the entire country. It hurts the main cause of the attaining the respect that you seek.

TELEVSION MARKET RANKINGS seem to be the fairest because of the limit that the signal can reach.

The number of household included with the same number of people per house, seems like it can't be contested or Gerrymander-ed.
The feds set the rules, not Raleigh or Charlotte. It goes by county. My town is both in the Charlotte MSA and not in the MSA. That's the way it goes. The same rules are applied nationwide.

Baltimore's MSA bumps into Philadelphia's MSA, South Central Pennsylvania's MSA that includes York and Lancaster, and DC's. It's the situation in much of the Megalopolis. There's nothing to whine about. No one is being treated unfairly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 08:40 PM

19 posts, read 22,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The feds set the rules, not Raleigh or Charlotte. It goes by county. My town is both in the Charlotte MSA and not in the MSA. That's the way it goes. The same rules are applied nationwide.

Baltimore's MSA bumps into Philadelphia's MSA, South Central Pennsylvania's MSA that includes York and Lancaster, and DC's. It's the situation in much of the Megalopolis. There's nothing to whine about. No one is being treated unfairly.
Exhibit Z. I thoight this was about Wake simply becoming the largest populated county?

Old 04-28-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebneb79 View Post
Exhibit Z. I thoight this was about Wake simply becoming the largest populated county?
I would have thought that if you read my post you would have read the post that I responded to.

Poster after poster has whined about the MSAs. Mazeltov to Wake County.

Last edited by southbound_295; 04-28-2019 at 09:05 PM..

Old 04-28-2019, 10:29 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,354,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
But I will say, the downtown convention center in Raleigh is less then 4 miles to Garner. There's not a situation in Charlotte in which that is the case.
I agree, because the following is what it looks like nearly 4 miles away from the Panthers' Stadium in uptown Charlotte. So what was your point exactly?

Old 04-29-2019, 04:03 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,857,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

There are parts of Raleigh that are not in the Raleigh MSA. There is no precedence for that I am aware of besides Durham also having that issue. But, the flaws of the MSA commuting thing is a separate issue.

But Trent got it for the most part. The city of Charlotte has a huge footprint. Highland Creek to Steele Creek is 30 miles. Charlotte is bigger in any number of ways. Skyline, choo-choo trains, outlying metro, city limits, etc, etc. but for the first time since Benjamin Harrison (hat tip urbancharlotte), the populated footprint for the city of Charlotte and the fused Wake communities are at a statistical tie and Wake is getting more dense. So as far as trends go, Wake will grow more populated than Mecklenburg on the strength of Cary and Raleigh outpacing Charlotte, not because Wendell added 5,000 over the last 40 years.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:42 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,354,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
There are parts of Raleigh that are not in the Raleigh MSA.
This statement alone just debunked everything you posted that followed. No parts of Charlotte protrudes outside of 524 sq mile Mecklenburg. However, there are parts of Raleigh that sprawls outside of 835 sq mile Wake. So which one is it? Is Raleigh just as populated as Charlotte within the same footprint; or is Raleigh (and Durham) the only US cities that have annexed outside of their own metropolitan areas?

And this brings up yet another issue. Does the Durham county section of Raleigh get included into Wake's population? Is the Wake county section of Durham also included in Wake's population?

Old 04-29-2019, 06:20 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I agree, because the following is what it looks like nearly 4 miles away from the Panthers' Stadium in uptown Charlotte. So what was your point exactly?

That Charlotte is the larger more developed city..... Lol....and that alot more of it's population in those 300 miles is concentrated in it's core vs the 300 miles in and around Raleigh are city and then suburban towns.

Again, I'm not sure you realize how we're actually in line with this. But please keep posting pictures to shove my own point down my throat.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:42 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,857,480 times
Quote:
This statement alone just debunked everything you posted that followed. No parts of Charlotte protrudes outside of 524 sq mile Mecklenburg. However, there are parts of Raleigh that sprawls outside of 835 sq mile Wake. So which one is it? Is Raleigh just as populated as Charlotte within the same footprint; or is Raleigh (and Durham) the only US cities that have annexed outside of their own metropolitan areas?
Those aren’t really mutually exclusive things. Though I’m not sure you really care.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
There are parts of Raleigh that are not in the Raleigh MSA. There is no precedence for that I am aware of besides Durham also having that issue. But, the flaws of the MSA commuting thing is a separate issue.

But Trent got it for the most part. The city of Charlotte has a huge footprint. Highland Creek to Steele Creek is 30 miles. Charlotte is bigger in any number of ways. Skyline, choo-choo trains, outlying metro, city limits, etc, etc. but for the first time since Benjamin Harrison (hat tip urbancharlotte), the populated footprint for the city of Charlotte and the fused Wake communities are at a statistical tie and Wake is getting more dense. So as far as trends go, Wake will grow more populated than Mecklenburg on the strength of Cary and Raleigh outpacing Charlotte, not because Wendell added 5,000 over the last 40 years.

You quoted my post where I said that part of my town is in the Charlotte MSA and part of it is not. Then you said that part of Raleigh isn't in the Raleigh MSA & that is unprecedented. Really? If it's unprecedented why is that the case with the town that I live in and who knows how many municipalities that straddle county lines, in North Carolina?

The whole discussion started with Wake County becoming the most populous county in the state. Then it degenerated to people whining that Charlotte and the Charlotte MSA aren't really more populous, and trying to manipulate numbers. Now it's unprecedented that the part of Raleigh that's in Durham County isn't counted in the Raleigh MSA, because the feds separated Raleigh and Durham.

Have you never heard of the concept of being gracious in victory?

Old 04-29-2019, 07:59 AM

6,381 posts, read 5,503,576 times
Quote:

And this brings up yet another issue. Does the Durham county section of Raleigh get included into Wake's population? Is the Wake county section of Durham also included in Wake's population?
......no

A tiny portion of NW Raleigh's city limits extends into Durham County; a tiny portion of Durham's SE city limits extends into Wake County. Probably well under 5000 in population in each of those sections. And no of course they aren't counted in the population for "the other" county. If it's in Durham County...they're counted just in Durham County. If it's in Wake County...they're counted just in Wake County.

The point was that Raleigh and Durham are in fact very interconnected. Brier Creek is one of the largest live/work/play hubs in the Triangle area and straddles the county line and has sections in both Wake and Durham counties with mailing addresses of, Raleigh, Durham, and Morrisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina