Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2019, 08:06 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

You quoted my post where I said that part of my town is in the Charlotte MSA and part of it is not. Then you said that part of Raleigh isn't in the Raleigh MSA & that is unprecedented. Really? If it's unprecedented why is that the case with the town that I live in and who knows how many municipalities that straddle county lines, in North Carolina?

The whole discussion started with Wake County becoming the most populous county in the state. Then it degenerated to people whining that Charlotte and the Charlotte MSA aren't really more populous, and trying to manipulate numbers. Now it's unprecedented that the part of Raleigh that's in Durham County isn't counted in the Raleigh MSA, because the feds separated Raleigh and Durham.

Have you never heard of the concept of being gracious in victory?
I'll let you and Heel go back in forth over whatever it is you guys are discussing.

But the bolded part to me is the sum of this thread. "Gracious in victory"? What victory? Wake will at some point soon be passing Meck. So what? What does that mean? Is there a prize given for that? Nobody from this side of the state did any bragging about Wake catching Meck. The OP didn't either. He just gave stats for the whole state. Yet look at the first 3 posts. It's just silly lol. It seems to trigger some Charlotte area posters that the Triangle, or Raleigh in particular, gets anytime type of recognition when it comes to size or growth. Especially if it is even remotely related to Metrolina. I know that's obviously not everyone but this imaginary competition and ego is just strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 08:10 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Calling Fuquay "far-flung" is rich considering Charlotte loves to dive deep in SC to get its millions of people.
The Census Bureau/OMB does that, not Charlotte. And even without York, Lancaster, and Chester counties, metro Charlotte would still have ~2M people.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:20 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Quote:

You quoted my post where I said that part of my town is in the Charlotte MSA and part of it is not. Then you said that part of Raleigh isn't in the Raleigh MSA & that is unprecedented. Really? If it's unprecedented why is that the case with the town that I live in and who knows how many municipalities that straddle county lines, in North Carolina?
The unprecedented part isn’t that Eagle Mills or whatever is partly in Charlotte’s MSA and partly not. It’s that the anchor city of the MSA isn’t completely in the MSA. But, that is mostly a different discussion to the other point.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:25 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
I'll let you and Heel go back in forth over whatever it is you guys are discussing.

But the bolded part to me is the sum of this thread. "Gracious in victory"? What victory? Wake will at some point soon be passing Meck. So what? What does that mean? Is there a prize given for that? Nobody from this side of the state did any bragging about Wake catching Meck. The OP didn't either. He just gave stats for the whole state. Yet look at the first 3 posts. It's just silly lol. It seems to trigger some Charlotte area posters that the Triangle, or Raleigh in particular, gets anytime type of recognition when it comes to size or growth. Especially if it is even remotely related to Metrolina. I know that's obviously not everyone but this imaginary competition and ego is just strange.
I don't live in Charlotte. I live in a smallish city that is in the Charlotte MSA and not in the Charlotte MSA. It is what it is.

I get the feeling that the "prize" is bragging rights. I see people twisting themselves every way from Sunday to try to claim more bragging rights. I think it's silly. The feds set the rules. By the rules, they've divided Raleigh and Durham & Greenville and Spartanburg and who knows how many other places.

It's silly that there's the perpetual "problem" of the Charlotte MSA including some counties in SC. Will those same posters have a problem if the day comes that Raleigh or Durham include a county or two in Virginia?

Old 04-29-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I don't live in Charlotte. I live in a smallish city that is in the Charlotte MSA and not in the Charlotte MSA. It is what it is.

I get the feeling that the "prize" is bragging rights. I see people twisting themselves every way from Sunday to try to claim more bragging rights. I think it's silly. The feds set the rules. By the rules, they've divided Raleigh and Durham & Greenville and Spartanburg and who knows how many other places.

It's silly that there's the perpetual "problem" of the Charlotte MSA including some counties in SC. Will those same posters have a problem if the day comes that Raleigh or Durham include a county or two in Virginia?
Well I'm not talking about the MSA's. I'm just talking about the OP and where all this even started. I'm sure there are Raleigh posters that mistakenly think Wake co being larger then Meck means something. But none of them said "hahaaa yeah suck it Charlotte." It wasn't treated as a victory by anyone. Yet the Charlotte area few show that it gets under their skin by waving the technicality flag. Who cares is all I'm saying. The imaginary competition seems to only exist in this state between Charlotte and Raleigh.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:47 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Well I'm not talking about the MSA's. I'm just talking about the OP and where all this even started. I'm sure there are Raleigh posters that mistakenly think Wake co being larger then Meck means something. But none of them said "hahaaa yeah suck it Charlotte." It wasn't treated as a victory by anyone. Yet the Charlotte area few show that it gets under their skin by waving the technicality flag. Who cares is all I'm saying. The imaginary competition seems to only exist in this state between Charlotte and Raleigh.
Nobody needed to say hahaa yeah suck it Charlotte. The method used was "yeah but. . .".

Old 04-29-2019, 08:49 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
And each state has their own annoyance.

DC vs. Baltimore for example. DC is less urban because the rowhouses have “front yards” (which are literally like 5’x5’.... etc etc

It’s not unique to CLT / RDU

Old 04-29-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Nobody needed to say hahaa yeah suck it Charlotte. The method used was "yeah but. . .".
Right. "Yeah but".... That came from the Charlotte folks.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:54 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:

Yep. Bingo. My sentiments exactly. The first few posts of this thread illustrate exactly that. Triggered and foaming at the mouth.

I'd say "let Charlotte be Charlotte and the Triangle be the Triangle"...but first that sounds cliche; and second I think the whole point should be that all of NC work together to make all of NC better. Charlotte and the Triangle are thriving while much of the rest of the state is stagnant or declining.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:00 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Quote:
Right. "Yeah but".... That came from the Charlotte folks.

It’s a forum, people discuss. Everyone except A tarheel and ATL suburb guy had reasonings for what they think.

The “triggered” or “Charlotte is southern and southerners are stupid” made the conversations more trivial and probably annoyed people. But I don’t really expect anything productive from posters who try to demean, or try to go on about something other than the actual topic “oh, ur triggered lawlz”.

Im 26. I can’t believe some of you are old black men and act that uncivilized. But, whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina