Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 09:10 PM

53 posts, read 80,433 times

Advertisements

A new world must be created. I think that leaders in the field of public safety should establish an association for the enforcement of turn signal laws staffed by attorneys, insurance companies, public health representatives, safety engineers, public officials, law enforcement agencies, the department of transportation and the public. The alarming stastistics have been given by the Society of Automotive Engineers. There is a clear and present danger.

We do not have to keep dancing with death. Concern does not equate with paranoia. Attitudes must be changed. The status quo is unacceptable. The population will increase along with the risk. This risk must be minimized.

This is a pragmatic and moral problem. Who is responsible for bringing about this change? We are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 11:43 AM

With the publication of research by The Society of Automotive Engineers comes the absolute realization that the enforcement of turn signal laws is necessary, unless you consider two million crashes attributed to violation of these laws insignificant. This is not about quaint southern norms and adolescent acting out. It is about life and death. We can ill afford a boys will be boys attitude when you may be a victim of the next fatal crash.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:29 PM

240 posts, read 559,241 times
[quote=cafetbird;23444455]The problem we in NC is people who have moved here from all over the country who think they know how to do things better. There is obviously a reason you are here, or you'd return to the "paradise" you came from. If not, feel free to go back! I'd appreciate some relief from all the congestion and sprawl you have created.
quote]

I AGREE COMPLETELY!!! In fact, that is the main thing I have noticed with most of the transplants (i.e. they think they are better than everybody else). The problem is not just people from other states, it's also people from other countries. Thanks to many of these people who move here, NC becomes more and more like a third world country all the time. The sprawl here makes absolutely no sense. I don't know what so many people see in NC to why they want to move here. Nothing would thrill me more than to see 99.9% of the transplants disappear. About the only thing many of them have done is cause trouble.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:39 PM

Default Where We Came From

As an advocate of cultural diversity, I do not perceive the turn signal problem to b an invasion of transplanted people from other states or nations. They are like the rest of us, imperfect. Walt Kelly, creator Of Pogo once said "We have met the enemy and he is us." The turn signal problem is universal and it puts us all at risk, whatever state or country we came from.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:35 AM

40 posts, read 60,743 times
Back in the '70's I remember all the rage was--if you were behind a car that was turning, and they used their blinker, then the Second car in line would also use his blinker--then Not Turn.
That practice was perpetuated by at least a generation of NC drivers.

Now, that seems to have stopped, in favor of using No Blinker. So if you're driving into a T-Intersection and you want to turn right, and a car is coming from your left and he DOES NOT use his blinker, but turns to where you're parked, you have sat there For No Reason until the dingbat makes his turn--which can lead to Long Delays in heavy traffic, but no one seems to Get It, because the very next 20 cars will do the same thing.

My favorite thing about NC drivers is how they will wait until you are right up on them and then they'll slowly Pull Out In Front Of You and Drive Slowly, as if they've no idea where they are or what they're doing. And then they'll Pull Off, Without using their blinker.

Try driving either direction on 220 between High Point and Asheboro--but pack supplies, because even though it's a relatively short distance, it is a Very Long Drive.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:18 AM

467 posts, read 1,189,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannatour View Post
Back in the '70's I remember all the rage was--if you were behind a car that was turning, and they used their blinker, then the Second car in line would also use his blinker--then Not Turn.
That practice was perpetuated by at least a generation of NC drivers.

Now, that seems to have stopped, in favor of using No Blinker. So if you're driving into a T-Intersection and you want to turn right, and a car is coming from your left and he DOES NOT use his blinker, but turns to where you're parked, you have sat there For No Reason until the dingbat makes his turn--which can lead to Long Delays in heavy traffic, but no one seems to Get It, because the very next 20 cars will do the same thing.

My favorite thing about NC drivers is how they will wait until you are right up on them and then they'll slowly Pull Out In Front Of You and Drive Slowly, as if they've no idea where they are or what they're doing. And then they'll Pull Off, Without using their blinker.

Try driving either direction on 220 between High Point and Asheboro--but pack supplies, because even though it's a relatively short distance, it is a Very Long Drive.
Lordy, you really nailed it on the head.

Coming from southern Oregon, they're used more often than not. And most drivers appear to know the 3-way and 4-way stop sign rule. Here? Not so much.

Just the other day I rolled down my window and mouthed to the other driver just which way are you going? with my arms in the air. Not doing it to be a pain or a jerk, just doing my best to avoid a fender bender. Just takes a flick of the turn signal to do so, but it appears too many people are either under educated when it comes to the rules of the road, or in too much of a hurry to be bothered with the inconvenience (of a police report), and possibly the out-of-pocket cost of an insurance claim. Some ya'll must have money to burn.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:01 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannatour View Post
I understand your frustration, but I never trust a turn signal from drivers coming from the left when I'm making a right turn on red or at a stop sign. If they change their mind, it's an accident waiting to happen.

I think it's exaggeration to say that it causes long delays. (Is a minute really that long?) But I understand the frustration. Things would be a lot more smooth if we could trust all the other drivers. Too bad we can't.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:22 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,158,318 times
Yeah, there's an awful lot of exaggeration on this thread, with a nice bit of witty sarcasm sprinkled in. Sometimes it's difficult to tell which is which.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:33 PM

40 posts, read 60,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I understand your frustration, but I never trust a turn signal from drivers coming from the left when I'm making a right turn on red or at a stop sign. If they change their mind, it's an accident waiting to happen.

I think it's exaggeration to say that it causes long delays. (Is a minute really that long?) But I understand the frustration. Things would be a lot more smooth if we could trust all the other drivers. Too bad we can't.
Where I seem to be a lot of the time in the Triad--It IS Always More than a Minute, so it is Not At All an exaggeration.

I would hate to think what it adds up to.

Good point about not trusting the blinkers of people coming from the left--because A), You're right--they may change their minds, and B), As rarely as blinkers/turn signals are used in this state, there's a 90% chance that they accidentally used it.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:21 AM

240 posts, read 559,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrycandy View Post
Lordy, you really nailed it on the head.

Coming from southern Oregon, they're used more often than not. And most drivers appear to know the 3-way and 4-way stop sign rule. Here? Not so much.

No, not at all. Here in NC, people blow by stop lights and stop signs as if they don't exist. It's very aggravating, I know. People here just don't know how to drive or simply don't care. Nothing would thrill me more than to see 99.999999999% of drivers here get their licenses revoked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina