Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 06:54 PM

454 posts, read 941,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I don't think it is filling coffers to require registration. And check on the issue before you come, or bring multiple vehicles, then you'll know. And, the owner of the vehicle should check on the insurance, not sure you can be registered here, and insured out of state....you should ask these questions of DMV and your insurance co.
Great advice Jan! It is up to each individual to find out the specifics of their own situation.

In the case of the o.p., if the owner 'lent' her the car for an extended period of time, I hope the owner let his insurance company know. In case of a serious accident, the one thing you can depend on is an investigator for the car owners insurance company is going to come sniffing around, looking for any reason not to pay.

The issue with the temporary registration is because there are so many out of state people working in ND for more than 30 days, yet they aren't registering their vehicles with the state - their vehicles are using the roadways and causing the same wear and tear as the residents, so the state is taking steps to get those vehicles registered.

I know some of you aren't from ND or have never been here, so you have nothing to compare to, but believe me, the roads in the western half of ND have had the crap beat out of them. The city of Minot has more vehicles on the streets now than I think any city planner could have ever envisioned - all this traffic (a lot of which is from people working here from out of state) causes all kinds of problems - that is why the state is trying to recoup some money by trying to get these vehicles temporarily registered.

The scoop is this: If you are working in ND for more than 30 days, you need to register your vehicle here. I believe at this time, they aren't going to be on an 'all out' search for vehicles whos owners haven't registered them here - but I foresee the day when they will.

It used to be when I went to Minot, this is what license plates I would see: North Dakota, Saskatchewan and some random plate from some other state or province. Now, what I see are: Texas, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, More Texas, then North Dakota and some more from Texas. Everyone knows they are not all passing through after a day of shopping at Wal-Mart - they're working here, but they don't register their vehicles here.

Last edited by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska; 04-18-2012 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: added the license plate info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 07:47 PM

113 posts, read 230,965 times
Fully understand the laws and intent...

I fought and won against a ticket once in GA as I worked there and another state, two weeks on and two weeks at the other plant. He tried to fabricate a story about the length of stay......Paperwork proved him wrong. They drove in the parking lot everyday looking for something.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:10 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,240,532 times
Quote:
It used to be when I went to Minot, this is what license plates I would see: North Dakota, Saskatchewan and some random plate from some other state or province. Now, what I see are: Texas, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, More Texas, then North Dakota and some more from Texas. Everyone knows they are not all passing through after a day of shopping at Wal-Mart - they're working here, but they don't register their vehicles here.
That's how the gas fields in Colorado are... I would bet the same is true in Utah, or the oil fields of Texas and Wyoming...
They're going to have trouble enforcing this, particularly since so many of these guys don't even have addresses!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 PM

175 posts, read 460,218 times
I don't really understand it personally. States are a lot bigger here than back east but I wasn't required to register my car in Rhode Island (where I worked for years) while I lived in Massachusetts. Neither was my father required to register in CT under similar circumstances.

I was curious about the sticker too but I have almost a full year to figure it out. It seems dumb to me that the service stations would turn you away and you're stuck with a ticket for an expired vehicle because a business wouldn't take your cash. Once upon a time they used EGAs and wrote things by hand (instead of computers sending results keyed on registration numbers)... don't see why it shouldn't be possible for it to be done.... in theory at least.

I can see it now: license from Alaska, registration/insurance from Massachusetts, inspection sticker North Dakota.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:17 PM

174 posts, read 379,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
That's how the gas fields in Colorado are... I would bet the same is true in Utah, or the oil fields of Texas and Wyoming...
They're going to have trouble enforcing this, particularly since so many of these guys don't even have addresses!
Not really...conversation goes like this..

Ofc: How are you doing today?
Driver: Ok, I guess..
Ofc: Been up here long?
Driver: insert time here..
Ofc: Came up for work huh?
Driver: Yeah, got hired by so and so
Ofc: That's awesome, hey I noticed you have "insert state here" plates
Driver: Yeah, I just renewed before I came up here...
Ofc: I see...well i am going to cite you for Failure to Register your vehicle, sign here please. The fine is $100 bucks, you can send that in within 14 days. If you wish to contest the ticket you can send the $100 to the court after checking this box requesting a hearing and they will set you a appearance date. Have a nice day and welcome to ND.

Or they can just issue the ticket without that and let the driver come to court and prove that they didn't have to register. Along with the citation for failure to obtain a ND license which is also a gimmie ticket...

Old 04-18-2012, 11:29 PM

Uh huh. And the most obvious reply is, "My permanent address is XYZ, Iowa, officer. That's why I'm registered to vote there, my kids are enrolled in school there, and my car is licensed there."

As mentioned, it's the same way that college kids get to maintain their home state's tags.

It's a worthy effort, but like I said, they're going to have trouble enforcing it.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:43 AM

113 posts, read 230,965 times
Quote:
Uh huh. And the most obvious reply is, "My permanent address is XYZ, Iowa, officer. That's why I'm registered to vote there, my kids are enrolled in school there, and my car is licensed there."

As mentioned, it's the same way that college kids get to maintain their home state's tags.

It's a worthy effort, but like I said, they're going to have trouble enforcing it.

No sir officer I'm not working yet and may leave in a couple days....

Old 04-19-2012, 05:30 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,256,367 times
Quote:

Hard to prove you live somewhere else when you're working 100 hrs here. Just do the right thing.....People come here for the money, but try to get by w/ this kind of petty BS. Have respect for the place that is making you richer. Same goes for the actual drivers lic. there is a time limit.....you are required to have a N.D. drivers license, or I.D. and vehicles registered. All I'm sayin....
And, for someone living in another state, and working in an adjacent state, it might work.....unless they find you parked in Walmart parking lot sleeping.
But if you are states away, working for so and so....80-100 hrs week.....It ain't gonna fly. We might be nice in N. D. but we aren't stupid. Do the right thing, it's good karma.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:50 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,017,480 times
Interesting to read the info on this thread. I guess I was coming at it from a college student prospective as I went to Iowa State Univ and was from Kentucky. I had a car at school for my last two years, but insurance, title, and registration was all in my parents name, so it was always had Kentucky plates.

Same thing here in Grand Forks with UND. I know students at my work who have out of state plates all 4 years they are here at school even though they stay in Grand Forks 4 years, as the owner is their parents.

And the woman who watches our two kids lives in Grand Forks while we live in East Grand Forks MN. She has lived in Grand Forks for 5 years, but always have had Minnesota plates as her dad who lives in Minnesota takes care of paying for insurance, registrations and tags. But again seeing Minnesota plates in Grand Forks is as common as seeing North Dakota plates.

Last edited by Kamsack; 04-19-2012 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: wording

Old 04-19-2012, 10:00 AM

Yeah, and frankly, since you're already paying income taxes in ND (as well as your home state) for your 80-100 hrs a week, you're already "doing the right thing."

If they have any success enforcing this, I'll be really surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota