Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:14 AM

993 posts, read 2,490,731 times

Advertisements

An acquaintance of mine recently moved to North Dakota, driving a car with Texas license, plates and registration. But she is not the owner of the vehicle. The owner still has residency in Texas. The Texas inspection is about to expire. What is required by North Dakota in this situation, if the licensed and registered owner lives in a difference state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 09:19 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
An acquaintance of mine recently moved to North Dakota, driving a car with Texas license, plates and registration. But she is not the owner of the vehicle. The owner still has residency in Texas. The Texas inspection is about to expire. What is required by North Dakota in this situation, if the licensed and registered owner lives in a difference state?
I believe the registration is governed by the state the owner is in. For example, we have a nanny to watch our two young sons and she lives in Grand Forks ND....the car is owned and registered under her father's name who lives in Minnesota. Thus the car has Minnesota tags, and is renewed by the father (owner).

So if you the owner is still in Texas and claim that as residency, then the car will be renewed by you and you will have to pass on the stickers so it can be put on the car's plate.

That is my understanding... also those up here in college, where the owner is the parent. The parents (owner) will get new tags and put it on the plate and keep it in the state where the owner is registered.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:21 AM

993 posts, read 2,490,731 times
The owner was saying, since the inspection is about to expire, well drive it back to Texas then for the inspection.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:44 AM

454 posts, read 940,173 times
I'm no expert on this subject (at all!), but I do know that the ND DOT is cracking down on the number of out of state vehicles that are here for gainful employment. Since you posted that your friend 'moved' to ND, Is she up here working or planning to make ND her permanent home? If so, she might want to have the owner of the vehicle register the car here in ND.

https://secure.apps.state.nd.us/dot/...RegWelcome.htm

Welcome to the Motor Vehicle Online Non-Resident Temporary Registration System

This system is for purchasing temporary motor vehicle registration. Nonresidents gainfully employed in this state and driving vehicles that are not registered with the state of North Dakota are subject to temporary registration for a minimum of 6 months. Temporary registration includes car/pickup, truck/tractor, and motorcycle.
  • When the power unit is pulling a trailer (or towed vehicle), the registered weight on the power unit must be for the combined weight of the power unit, trailer, and load (or for the combined weight of the power unit and towed vehicle).
  • Temporary registrations will be issued for either 6 months or 1 year.
  • Nonresidents purchasing temporary registration must have a current registration in their home jurisdiction.
  • Vehicle information to complete this application process may be found on your current vehicle registration card.
Current fees charged for a North Dakota temporary registration plus a $10 permit fee per vehicle:
Weight 6 Month Fee 12 Month Fee Passenger vehicles, pickups, vans, trucks Less than 20,001 $60 $120 Motorcycles $30 $60 Trucks/Combination 20,001 - 42,000 $220 $440 42,001 - 62,000 $380 $760 62,001 - 82,000 $530 $1,060 82,001 - 105,500 $900 $1,800

• Nonresident custom combiners: Please access the Highway Patrol website to purchase temporary registrations. You will require a state issued account.
  • You MUST have a printer installed to print your registration.
  • Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to print your online permit.
  • Make online payments using credit or debit card. All payment charges will be in US dollars. The following credit and debit cards are accepted:
If you have any technical problems accessing the online temporary registration application, contact the Motor Vehicle Division at (701) 328-2725.

I think it would be much cheaper to get the temporary registration for $60.00 for a car, than to drive it back to Texas for an inspection. If your friend is here to stay, the registration is going to have to be switched to ND eventually anyway.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:08 PM

113 posts, read 230,793 times
I don't understand? If the owner of the car lives in Texas and the driver is a ND resident....Why must the driver register the car there in ND?

I would go along if the driver/gainfully employed/resident was the car owner also..

Old 04-18-2012, 02:35 PM

454 posts, read 940,173 times
I'm thinking it's because the car is here in ND and being driven on ND roads?

Old 04-18-2012, 05:45 PM

28 posts, read 145,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLong View Post
I don't understand? If the owner of the car lives in Texas and the driver is a ND resident....Why must the driver register the car there in ND?

I would go along if the driver/gainfully employed/resident was the car owner also..
I would be VERY careful to register my vehicle in more than one state. If I got into a vehicle collision, I could see most insurance companies claiming I didn't purchase the correct policy. Make sure you check with your insurance company, and a local agent before doing any of this.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:31 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
I don't think you can register in more than one state. Use the link Norsk gave you. Make sure you have insurance, it is an arrestable offense in N.D. not having insurance. The people here longer than 30 days, use to be the rule for registering....Norsk is right, they are attempting to get some control on all the out of state vehicles using our roads, and having the info on who is driving them. Good link NDP!!

Old 04-18-2012, 06:32 PM

113 posts, read 230,793 times
I traveled in 17 states in the late 80's and 90's

I've registered trucks in my name many times in other states once I switched driver license over before the number of days allowed once employed...
But I never heard that a vehicle registered in another's name legally out of the state and another person (resident) legally added to the insurance issued a ticket. It would look bad if the owner showed up and said they was on vacation and lent the car to their friend for a short period of time...lol

I also have several trucks registered in a corp business name many times out of state and once they check the tag and see that it's a business they move on.

I could be wrong as each state is different...I just hope cities and towns don't prey on people for the added income and fill their coffers with frivolous tickets.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
I don't think it is filling coffers to require registration. And check on the issue before you come, or bring multiple vehicles, then you'll know. And, the owner of the vehicle should check on the insurance, not sure you can be registered here, and insured out of state....you should ask these questions of DMV and your insurance co.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota