Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:25 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times

Advertisements

Pittston2sarasota I agree. I have a positive attitude and expect possitive things to happen!
I am far less concerned about basic needs here than in NY- many people here complain about low wages but guess what? Where I lived before a call center job or a retail job STILL only paid 8 -10 per hour and the rental of a modest house 3 br 1.5 baths STILL cost 1500 1800 per month!

For those with professions living in the nicer suburbs you are rewarded with one more bedroom and a home that cost 400,000 !
It is gard even with a BA to earn much more than 60 grand on LI and its near impossible to live comfortable on less than 100K!

This is such a relief to us!

There are so many job openings in the health care feild and many legit training programs and colleges!
I would think that would be a way out for many!

Sorry if my relentless optimism irritates some it's a tough job but hey someoness gotta do it!

Old 10-19-2010, 06:33 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
weluvpa I am thrilled at NOT paying property yaxes of 17,000 per year!
I am thrilled at NOT paying a morrtgage of 3500!

Reasons to be cheerful there are many!
SMILE!

I did mention natural beauty, meeting nice people, attending a very friendly church, and the many oppertunities for families to do something together on the weekends and NOT break the bank!

Great festivals and only minutes drom unspoiled country, mountain vistas and waterfalls.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:02 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,099,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
weluvpa I am thrilled at NOT paying property yaxes of 17,000 per year!
I am thrilled at NOT paying a morrtgage of 3500!

Reasons to be cheerful there are many!
SMILE!

I did mention natural beauty, meeting nice people, attending a very friendly church, and the many oppertunities for families to do something together on the weekends and NOT break the bank!

Great festivals and only minutes drom unspoiled country, mountain vistas and waterfalls.
Good for you about not paying the higher taxes, that is great. Everything else is new to you, but normal life for the rest of us.

Congrats on the move and now enjoy where you live and try not to point out what you see wrong about OUR WAY OF LIFE.

Mountain vistas? Boy you really are from LI...LMAO

Old 10-19-2010, 07:23 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
Just my 2 cents: I honestly believe that some of what we (collectively with Sheena since I partially agree ) as low self-esteem actually maybe a culmination of generations of seeing the rich getting richer, the middle class shrinking, and the poor becoming poorer; while "connected" individuals and families dominate politics, and "old" money families becoming wealthier at the expense of the majority. The choices made for "projects" that benefit a few, with no regard to the many! Short sighted plans and projects being decided on "who" is going to benefit and not for the "best of the community". I think corruption has been allowed to run rampant for so long, people not only lost faith in their community's leaders, but faith in their community. Corruption I feel, has eaten away at the core belief that one can pull ones self up by their boot straps. Couple that with the picture of a global economy and loss of employers that were here for generations and you have a recipe for a demoralized population. When you and your family are constantly worried about meeting basic needs for your self and your family, the beauty can not be seen.
I agree....but people need to realize that they can change this....if only the lemmings would STOP voting in these corrupt politicians, stop "pulling the D lever" and voting for who will do them favors and give them contracts and voting based on ethnic background.....

Old 10-19-2010, 08:04 AM

99 posts, read 235,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There are so many job openings in the health care feild and many legit training programs and colleges!
I would think that would be a way out for many!
Not everyone is cut out for health care (patients don't like it when you puke back on them), kudos to those that can do it but it ain't me! And training programs and colleges still cost money... 12 years and two kids later and I finally qualify for enough grants to go to college. If I could pay for it myself I would have done it a long time ago, but tuition alone, at community college, is more than my rent was in Scranton.

I respect your optimism, I just don't share it.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:09 AM

99 posts, read 235,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Depending on your field of study, there is nothing stopping you from starting your own business - except alot of hard work and sacrifice for a few years.
...and thousands of dollars in start-up cash, and the know-how to be able to navigate laws and taxes and bookkeeping and all that stuff they don't teach in high school around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Or starting low on the totem pole at a company and working your way up - once again - based upon hard work and dedication.
Unfortunately, for most of the MTV instant gratification kids, such a thing is out of the question.

Try networking with a few of them angry old people, they may give you a few tips/leads.
We tried that, too. Years of employment in certain local business with a "connected" business owner, meeting a lot of other local big fish (by and large the angry old people), being a good employee and having a good rapport with the guy.... gets you a good friend and a just-scrape-by job, but you're not going to advance into the upper middle class like that.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:46 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,141,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
New Jersey is very underrated. I helped a colleague of mine relocate to Newark a few weekends ago, and she's paying the same amount for a 2-BR loft in an upscale part of town near a huge park as I pay for a 1-BR apartment in deep suburbia in Northern Virginia. Judging by the people in NEPA you'd think NJ was nothing but a slum. Not so.

Upscale and Newark should NEVER be used in the same sentence ..

Old 10-19-2010, 09:48 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,088,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
Just my 2 cents: I honestly believe that some of what we (collectively with Sheena since I partially agree ) as low self-esteem actually maybe a culmination of generations of seeing the rich getting richer, the middle class shrinking, and the poor becoming poorer; while "connected" individuals and families dominate politics, and "old" money families becoming wealthier at the expense of the majority. The choices made for "projects" that benefit a few, with no regard to the many! Short sighted plans and projects being decided on "who" is going to benefit and not for the "best of the community". I think corruption has been allowed to run rampant for so long, people not only lost faith in their community's leaders, but faith in their community. Corruption I feel, has eaten away at the core belief that one can pull ones self up by their boot straps. Couple that with the picture of a global economy and loss of employers that were here for generations and you have a recipe for a demoralized population. When you and your family are constantly worried about meeting basic needs for your self and your family, the beauty can not be seen.
you said it so well and summed it up precisely

Old 10-19-2010, 10:51 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,625,057 times
I also agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
you said it so well and summed it up precisely

Old 10-19-2010, 11:27 AM

996 posts, read 1,057,439 times
I think Auntie summed up the general reasons for an entire nation to be feeling under the weather, and the symptoms certainly do apply to NEPA.

I think that little guy from Texas was right when he warned of future consequences a few presidential election cycles ago.

nepadaisy - if you keep convincing yourself that you can't,, you won't.

Bill Gates started in his garage, and he certainly is not the only one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania