Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:01 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times

Advertisements

BTW thanks for the pictures of Newark! Looks very nice.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:34 PM

267 posts, read 765,751 times
Most of the regular NEPA posters that whine here are losers and have nothing better to do but log on their computer, head over to Citi-data and complain about the area day and night. They have no idea that there is whole world outside there home, away from their computer, of great things to see and do in the area.
I could only hope these people are the minority.

P.S. You shouldn't be proud if you have thousands of posts, unless you are moving to the area and
asking alot of questions or actually helping people by answering their questions.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:54 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Thanks Avoca! I like it vey much and people are acting as though I am missing something.

No I GET it.

They are missing something!

Old 10-19-2010, 08:05 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,939,788 times
Interestingly enough, I happen to work in medical records with my college degree (I'd like to go back & get a nursing degree, but cannot afford to at this time and there are no jobs anyhow....bodily fluids don't bother me one bit). It doesn't pay that well and, at our facility, there has been a pay cut just to avoid chopping more jobs (we have had several rounds of layoffs).

Each and every new graduate RN I currently know in NE PA is currently without a nursing job. They have passed their boards and are working menial jobs and stressing about loan payments coming due. RNs here used to get hefty sign-on bonuses just a few short years ago....

My husband works full-time in healthcare as well, but it has really ruined him physically. (yrs & yrs of night shifts & heavy lifting)

In addition, we both have part-time side jobs to just try to make ends meet. I force myself to have a positive attitude and to convey this to my children, but until you've walked a mile in my shoes, keep your judgments to yourself. I don't have time to watch a single TV program EVER with all the working I do, and still we can barely sustain our INCREDIBLY BASIC lifestyle. Gosh, I love to hike & bicycle, but who has time to enjoy the beautiful PA outdoors when you are fighting tooth & nail just to put food on the table??!!

Old 10-19-2010, 08:10 PM

98 posts, read 190,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
You know, no large corperation is going to ride into NEPA on a white horse and start offering jobs that pay 25 bucks an hour with health insurance and a pension to HS grads!!!!!

That's just not gonna happen here or anywhere else.

When I suggest health care people whine about not wanting to be thrown up on.
As though all jobs in health care involve direct patient care.
Ever heard of Medical Records Technology? Just one of several careers that pay well and do not involve contact with bodily fluids.
But it DOES involve a college degree.

In fact all jobs that involve a living wage involve college - so you know what DEAL WITH IT!

LCCC is under 6000 for two years and offers many career oriented programs.

Today you either need to be an entrepreneur - start your own business - or have a profession.

Call centers, retail, and food service jobs do not pay the bill.

Not in NEPA
Not in Sunny FLA
Not in NY

This is an affordable lovely place to live and I have never heard so much whining.
Get over it!
I like it here and so does my family and no we are not all delusional.
its very possible you and your family are happy here. But this place has very serious problems that you will start to notice over time.

Theres a few areas around here that arent bad, namely the mountaintop and bear creek regions(theres a few up by scranton but im not that familiar with that area), but the main cities(wb, scranton, nanticoke, pittston etc) are just disasters.

i agree with almost everything you have said and lccc is a good school to start your college education at. Community colleges get so much heat, but theres so many teachers there that really want to reach out and educate. But then again, there are a lot of slacker teachers there too.

With the aging population healthcare has got to be the main focus of this area. Like you said, it does not involve patient care for everyone.

More and more jobs are being replaced by computers. In about 10-20 years most of the warehousing jobs will probably go away(This has become the main source of "good jobs" recently). Getting a job in the not so distant future is going to require a degree, period. This is already starting to take place as americas economy moves more towards information oriented services.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:32 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterMadness View Post
make no mistake about it, those who goto college certainly know more than those who dont, at least when talking about majorities. being uneducated isnt something to be proud of.
I am a college graduate, and I'll be the first to tell you that I knew crap about life and the real world while I was a student. Its not the real world. And yes, not living with your parents does give you wisdom that you can't learn in a classroom. Its called responsibility.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:39 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoca resident View Post
Most of the regular NEPA posters that whine here are losers and have nothing better to do but log on their computer, head over to Citi-data and complain about the area day and night. They have no idea that there is whole world outside there home, away from their computer, of great things to see and do in the area.
I could only hope these people are the minority.

P.S. You shouldn't be proud if you have thousands of posts, unless you are moving to the area and
asking alot of questions or actually helping people by answering their questions.
Who are you to call anyone a loser that you don't even know?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I am a college graduate, and I'll be the first to tell you that I knew crap about life and the real world while I was a student. Its not the real world. And yes, not living with your parents does give you wisdom that you can't learn in a classroom. Its called responsibility.
so your life experiences mirror absolutely everyones? You knew crap, so everyone else must have also been ignorant?

A person in college living with their parents cant be responsible?

Keeping your grades up isnt being responsible? Doing internships and having a job while in school doesnt teach you responsibility? I know a person with two kids, a wife, a house and is in college right now. Hes definitely not responsible. Because hes in college, and responsibility doesnt happen until after. Right? I mean he clearly only knows what hes shown in the class room. Oh wait, painting everyone with the same brush doesnt actually work in the real world!

As far as I knew, kids started learning responsibility around 10 years old. Dunno what happened with you, maybe you didnt have any responsibility while growing up but your life does not mirror everyone elses.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:53 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,625,057 times
first of all. im not a kid, im 25 years old.

LMFAO!!! that is priceless!!! Out of the mouths of babes!!!

Old 10-19-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
first of all. im not a kid, im 25 years old.

LMFAO!!! that is priceless!!! Out of the mouths of babes!!!
Do you want some kind of praise that you managed to make it beyond the age of 25? Thats the only conceivable stance that can be taken from your post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania