Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:15 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,950 times

Advertisements

I was driving home from my son's the other day and i got lost, i ended up at Public Square in Wilkes Barre, i've never been there and it looked kinda cool to me, kind of reminded me of "The square" in Morristown, NJ. If i wasn't so upset at getting lost and not knowing where the hell i was i would of enjoyed it. It was getting dark and my car is acting up, so i just wanted to get home. Looks like a nice place to me.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:50 PM

98 posts, read 190,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
You are way too young to be so angry....

Capitalism? Collective Economy?
You should move to an EU country - I hear they are doing great these days.

Depending on your field of study, there is nothing stopping you from starting your own business - except alot of hard work and sacrifice for a few years.
Or starting low on the totem pole at a company and working your way up - once again - based upon hard work and dedication.
Unfortunately, for most of the MTV instant gratification kids, such a thing is out of the question.

Try networking with a few of them angry old people, they may give you a few tips/leads.
There isnt anything stopping me from starting a business, but to say hardwork leads to success in a business you dont own is honestly laughable. Success in the typical business environment is how well you play office politics.

Ive never liked MTV, even when it played music. Im not looking for instant gratification, I see no hope in this area.

I would love to move to Norway(non eu), Sweden or Finland but the immigration policies are extremely strict.

most of the angry old people will merely encourage me to hunt, vote republican, work on/think about cars 24/7 and get drunk.

No thanks. I actually want to go somewhere in life. the great thing is, when I get there, it wont be in NEPA. Few more years in college and im out, just like many other college graduates from the area.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:50 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterMadness View Post
most of the angry old people will merely encourage me to hunt, vote republican, work on/think about cars 24/7 and get drunk.

No, most of those "angry old people" in NEPA exclusively vote democrat...the "1-party system" in this area is why its so corrupt.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:51 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterMadness View Post
No thanks. I actually want to go somewhere in life. the great thing is, when I get there, it wont be in NEPA. Few more years in college and im out, just like many other college graduates from the area.
Ohhhh...another college kid who knows it all, despite still living with mom and dad....

Old 10-19-2010, 06:03 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,439 times
No sense talking to the x geners, or is it up to y now???

WM - life is a game, full of politics at one level orthe other
Some folks play it, others sit on the sidelines and let it pass them by.

p.s. beware of them Nordics - they eat raw fish and smoke like chimneys....

If you are lucky enough to get into Sweden, I hope you like guns, because you will be required to keep one in your house

Old 10-19-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Ohhhh...another college kid who knows it all, despite still living with mom and dad....
first of all. im not a kid, im 25 years old. i dont live with my mom or dad and havent since i was 19

make no mistake about it, those who goto college certainly know more than those who dont, at least when talking about majorities. being uneducated isnt something to be proud of. The ability to reason and think are the only things that put man above the other animals. but then again, disregard for mans basic faculty is so much easier than learning algebra,calculus, chemistry, physics etc right? who needs them? I mean sears starts you off at 10.50 an hour nightshift. thats damn good money! git er done!

im also not implying you dont know these things.

this statement:
"another college kid who knows it all, despite still living with mom and dad..."
is ridiculous. What do they have to do with one and other? Living on your own does not grant you wisdom, it only grants you financial independence from parents, while giving you financial dependence of your boss(there are obvious exceptions to this, working for yourself, union jobs, democratic work places etc). Most of the people i know at this point have moved out of their parents houses, and not all of them are wise. Hell, so many of the people around here, including those in charge, are not wise.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
No sense talking to the x geners, or is it up to y now???

WM - life is a game, full of politics at one level orthe other
Some folks play it, others sit on the sidelines and let it pass them by.

p.s. beware of them Nordics - they eat raw fish and smoke like chimneys....

If you are lucky enough to get into Sweden, I hope you like guns, because you will be required to keep one in your house
Yes, I know everywhere you go its politics. I was just making a point.

I think youre thinking of Switzerland, which passed a law making it mandatory to have a gun.

If im not mistaken Sweden is very anti gun. Finland is more relaxed.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:22 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,439 times
Your right about the guns, it is the Swiss, they make great knives too.

My point about hard work and determination is that if you put your best efforts into something, chances are on your side. If you get knocked down get up again.

I recall my business classes in college regarding AR and AP, cash flow, where according to the textbooks and professors, all monies were paid on time. Boy, were they ever off, and the books never mentioned chasing down customers for payment to keep the lights on.. It's no small wonder I lived on beans and noodles for the first 2 years I was in business.

If you are so down on this area, then you should get out. Best of Luck to You.

But if you have talent, there are doors to be opened, yes - even in NEPA.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:57 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,859,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Maybe because the only people that make a big deal out of a Thai restaurant, Nay Aug, vegan cafe and a holistic fair are people that just moved here and to the rest of us its old hat and or who cares.

Every home here has a view of a hill,(mountains, yeh ok) because we live in the middle of them.

It seems that recent transplants are thrilled by the things that most here could care less about. A vegan cafe, really? Whats so exciting about that?

Hey Reston exactly which part of Newark are you calling upscale? ROFLMAO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Upscale and Newark should NEVER be used in the same sentence ..
Actually there is a huge Middle Class section of the city called Forest Hills. Very nice upscale homes and apartments. Low crime rate , better schools etc...Newark has been on the upswing since booker entered office back in 2006. The population has grown by 7.4% between 2006-2009. Quality of life has improved , alot of New Jerseyites have noticed it. People are now going to Newark for day trips , mostly to Downtown and the Ironbound. Most Newarkers are very nice , and will help you out. Heres 3 pictures i took in Forest Hill's.

Forest Hill - Newark - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42178139@N06/sets/72157624092548945/ - broken link)

Old 10-19-2010, 06:59 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
You know, no large corperation is going to ride into NEPA on a white horse and start offering jobs that pay 25 bucks an hour with health insurance and a pension to HS grads!!!!!

That's just not gonna happen here or anywhere else.

When I suggest health care people whine about not wanting to be thrown up on.
As though all jobs in health care involve direct patient care.
Ever heard of Medical Records Technology? Just one of several careers that pay well and do not involve contact with bodily fluids.
But it DOES involve a college degree.

In fact all jobs that involve a living wage involve college - so you know what DEAL WITH IT!

LCCC is under 6000 for two years and offers many career oriented programs.

Today you either need to be an entrepreneur - start your own business - or have a profession.

Call centers, retail, and food service jobs do not pay the bill.

Not in NEPA
Not in Sunny FLA
Not in NY

This is an affordable lovely place to live and I have never heard so much whining.
Get over it!
I like it here and so does my family and no we are not all delusional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania