Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:10 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,625,057 times

Advertisements

Nope, I also was full of myself at 25 , mark my words in 10 years you will get a kick out of that statement too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterMadness View Post
Do you want some kind of praise that you managed to make it beyond the age of 25? Thats the only conceivable stance that can be taken from your post

Old 10-19-2010, 09:59 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
Nope, I also was full of myself at 25 , mark my words in 10 years you will get a kick out of that statement too!!
in 20 yrs he'll throw his back out if he gets kicked too hard

Old 10-19-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Oh wait, painting everyone with the same brush doesnt actually work in the real world!
Makes me wonder why you think you have the right to denengrate all "those old ignorant backward polish people".

You should be washing the paint from your own hands.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:12 PM

98 posts, read 190,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Makes me wonder why you think you have the right to denengrate all "those old ignorant backward polish people".

You should be washing the paint from your own hands.
Ive never once said every person from the area is an ignorant old backwards polish person. I have said that they ruin the area though.

Also, just because im pointing out the bad sides to this area does not mean im dwelling on it like many are implying. At no time of me typing these posts have i felt anger, or despair. Im simply pointing things out like i see them.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:14 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Hey Reston exactly which part of Newark are you calling upscale? ROFLMAO
Newark has come a long way in the last decade. She lives in a loft in North Newark near where Branch Brook Park meets Belleville Park. Many of the vehicles in the lot of her community were BMWs, Lexuses, Acuras, etc.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
You know, no large corperation is going to ride into NEPA on a white horse and start offering jobs that pay 25 bucks an hour with health insurance and a pension to HS grads!!!!!
I've said this for how many years on this sub-forum? People think I'm an elitist snob, but the U.S. Census Bureau backs me up that, generally speaking, the more education one has the higher their lifetime earnings potential. The most well-educated parts of the country (i.e. NoVA, NYC, North Jersey, Minneapolis, Seattle, CT, Boston, etc.) also tend to be amongst the most affluent. I'm not trying to "put down" non-college graduates, but man do I ever tire of them bellyaching about wanting $25/hr. jobs with generous benefits handed to them on a silver platter. The good 'ole days of workin' at da factree from age 18 to age 60 are over with, but people here can't seem to accept that and adapt. Pittsburgh, where I'm now moving, HAS adapted. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre? Nope.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I've said this for how many years on this sub-forum?
Do you honestly believe that HS (even college) educated entry level employees deserve $50k a year with full bennies on top?

You better stick to the high priced areas....but then again, that hasn't worked out too well for you in NVA.

If my memory serves me right - you were belly aching awhile back about how Robert Mericle promised you big paying jobs were coming to Center Pointe in Pittston Township.

As far as those "meccas of affluence" you listed, you fail to realize that the cost of living increases along with the earnings. In most cases, those folks are not much better off when you balance things out..

Last edited by varmintblaster; 10-19-2010 at 10:32 PM..

Old 10-19-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Ive never once said every person from the area is an ignorant old backwards polish person. I have said that they ruin the area though.
Keep painting..

Your getting closer to the corner.

Don't forget your dunce hat.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Do you honestly believe that HS (even college) educated entry level employees deserve $50k a year with full bennies on top?

You better stick to the high priced areas....but then again, that hasn't worked out too well for you in NVA.
Pittsburgh is by no means a "high-priced area". Believe it or not I'm finding rentals that are CHEAPER with skyline views in the Steel City than comparable apartments in the city of Scranton. Nevertheless I'll be making only $3,000 less when I move there. NoVA hasn't worked out well because the salaries are NOT high enough, overall, to maintain a comfortable standard of living for the middle-class. It's increasingly an area for only the upper-middle-class and the working-class who serve them and who are subsidized in order to live here. The middle-class is being driven out into the exurbs of PA and WV. When I get to Pittsburgh just ONE of my two paychecks per month will cover nearly all of my necessary expenditures. I'll save the other one towards the down payment on my dream home. Want to see how cheap housing is there?

Crafton Heights, Pa 15205 home with no address listed - Homes for Sale - MLS #843788 - Realtor.com®

A gorgeous home like this in Scranton would probably fetch $150,000, and salaries are more depressed than they are in Pittsburgh. My move there is a no-brainer. Everyone else can have NoVA with their cul-de-sacs, gridlock, parking lots, aggressive personalities, ugly vinyl-sided tract architecture, chain restaurants, etc.

It's a matter of opinion how much is "too much" for an entry-level salary. Do you approve of morons like Ben Roethlisberger (spelling?) making millions to be fat and throw a football around? Do you approve of Britney Spears making millions? I was making $40,000 here to start. Rents for a no-frills 1-BR apartment START at $1,100/month here. You can't have someone make $30,000 and survive here just because "I said so." Salaries are largely driven by the cost-of-living in an area. Pittsburgh is the rare case on a national scale with a lot of high-paying jobs vs. a dirt cheap cost-of-living. The problem? Everyone still thinks Pittsburgh is a dump.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
If my memory serves me right - you were belly aching awhile back about how Robert Mericle promised you big paying jobs were coming to Center Pointe in Pittston Township.
For what it's worth I just found out today that there are more "shady dealings" going on in regards to the Pittston Crossings project. A relative of mine who lives in the subdivision adjacent to the site went to speak to township officials today, and they had "no idea" that a Sheetz and many other businesses were planned for the property in question. "NO IDEA?" Give me a break.

Rob Mericle is a lying tool, and that's coming from someone with a vanity license plate that says "IMA TOOL". I'm only sorry that only one Jenkins Twp. supervisor went down with him for accepting a kickback when I know many more in this county had their pockets lined by him over the years. He DID promise me that CenterPointe was going to be a haven for Wall Street West. Now? It's replete with hideous warehouses that pay terrible wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania