Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 10:49 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
the question here is where does one go with concerns that someone in authority will respond to---ever????
I would normally say newspapers or media would help in these situations, but my local paper (Scranton Times) seems more concerned with the admins party line than true investigative journalism. How is the Cititzens Voice in bringing issues to the fore front and applying poltical pressure? Local news also seems to only "report" and not do much investigative work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 11:16 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,899,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
I would normally say newspapers or media would help in these situations, but my local paper (Scranton Times) seems more concerned with the admins party line than true investigative journalism. How is the Cititzens Voice in bringing issues to the fore front and applying poltical pressure? Local news also seems to only "report" and not do much investigative work.
I have tried speaking on WILK to get attention to things and I always get a rude ignorant response. I guess we could go to town meetings but then we might as well try to get elected. The people getting paid to do the jobs are not doing them.

Last edited by Chefkey; 02-03-2013 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: forgot the word "NOT" LOL poetic justice

Old 02-03-2013, 11:52 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
I have tried speaking on WILK to get attention to things and I always get a rude ignorant response. I guess we could go to town meetings but then we might as well try to get elected. The people getting paid to do the jobs are not doing them.
I tried that for a while and sadly my son got the brunt of my actions...he is only 12 now and this happened when he was 10. It didn't matter that there was a direct positive result because I spoke at council! I didn't even realize he was having any backlash till 4 months later...I found out real quick what kind of dirty pool the "powers" that be play. Sad...couldn't do anything to get me to shut up, except pick on my son...well "they" hit me where it hurt!

Old 02-03-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
I tried that for a while and sadly my son got the brunt of my actions...he is only 12 now and this happened when he was 10. It didn't matter that there was a direct positive result because I spoke at council! I didn't even realize he was having any backlash till 4 months later...I found out real quick what kind of dirty pool the "powers" that be play. Sad...couldn't do anything to get me to shut up, except pick on my son...well "they" hit me where it hurt!
I guess the best we can do is keep on the police by calling when we see a problem. Whether they do anything or not at that moment it brings attention to it more.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:08 PM

Well at least they are talking about it now that it is a problem. If we get rid of Sherman Hills the city as a whole will look better by the numbers. This low income Government subsidy should never have been allowed there. Here is a post from Dec 1st 2012 in the Citizen's Voice. http://m.citizensvoice.com/news/city...ners-1.1410660
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

Police continued their investigation without making any arrests Friday, a day after a man was seriously wounded in a shooting at the Sherman Hills Apartments.

Nygee Taylor, 23, of Wilkes-Barre was shot in the leg outside the town homes in the apartment complex, 300 Parkview Circle near Coal Street, about 6:30 p.m. Thursday. Taylor remains hospitalized at Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center in Plains Township and is in serious condition, a hospital official said.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-03-2013 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: LINK and Snippet please. Snippet is 3 sentences.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:44 PM

452 posts, read 682,100 times
Ah, liberal democratic government at it's best..next question. Where do you suggest the up rooted residents be re-located to? And what's to stop these outstanding citizens from continuing their productive ways at the next location. < cricket's chirping >.......

Old 02-03-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
Ah, liberal democratic government at it's best..next question. Where do you suggest the up rooted residents be re-located to? And what's to stop these outstanding citizens from continuing their productive ways at the next location. < cricket's chirping >.......
Australia, the Brits did it for 80 years.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
The reality is, we shouldn't have to allow Government subsidized housing on such a broad scale. There are extraordinary circumstances and things beyond ones control that we should help with. That said, there are far too many who abuse it. There should be a stricter screening standards for who needs assistance with strict guidelines of allowed behavior. If anyone is found to be breaking the rules they should be removed from the assistance.

After that we could erect a Tent City outside Barney Farms for those who have no place to go when they are kicked out.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:47 PM

908 posts, read 1,555,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
Welcome to the world of negative thinking, closed mindedness, tunnel vision, etc. I'm a "transplant" to NEPA and I still din't fit in and I never will.
Exactly njmike! The forum here paints a good picture of what most(you'll find its not all, but too many for comfort) of locals are like & how they treat anyone who doesn't support their very bigoted & obsolete mindset. They're rude even to locals who denounce their extremely pervasive thinking.

This backwards, anti-social, racist, bigoted way is why I've got most on the NEPA forum on ignore(just learned how to use it), and am no longer responding to them. You can't even respond to the decent folks here without some bigot, left-behind regular making some kind of vitriol, juvenile, catty comment, in an attempt to argument bait.

The bottom line is Luzerne & Lackawanna counties are bottom of the barrel even by Pa standards, and their refusal to progress & leave off their warped ways is the cause. The TV show "The Office" greatly downplayed the reality of this area. I actually wouldn't mind Michael Scott, or even Dwight Schrute as a neighbor,lol.

One great thing came out of living in this hell hole. It made me appreciate things about our great state, NJ, that I took for granted before. NJ has its problems, but NOTHING compared to this area. Even our republicans are betters.(Christie puts Corbett to shame even when Christie is at his worst) I'm moving back to NJ, and back to 21st century civilization. It will certainly be worth the several hundred dollars extra in rent.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:37 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
Exactly njmike! The forum here paints a good picture of what most(you'll find its not all, but too many for comfort) of locals are like & how they treat anyone who doesn't support their very bigoted & obsolete mindset. They're rude even to locals who denounce their extremely pervasive thinking.

This backwards, anti-social, racist, bigoted way is why I've got most on the NEPA forum on ignore(just learned how to use it), and am no longer responding to them. You can't even respond to the decent folks here without some bigot, left-behind regular making some kind of vitriol, juvenile, catty comment, in an attempt to argument bait.

The bottom line is Luzerne & Lackawanna counties are bottom of the barrel even by Pa standards, and their refusal to progress & leave off their warped ways is the cause. The TV show "The Office" greatly downplayed the reality of this area. I actually wouldn't mind Michael Scott, or even Dwight Schrute as a neighbor,lol.

One great thing came out of living in this hell hole. It made me appreciate things about our great state, NJ, that I took for granted before. NJ has its problems, but NOTHING compared to this area. Even our republicans are betters.(Christie puts Corbett to shame even when Christie is at his worst) I'm moving back to NJ, and back to 21st century civilization. It will certainly be worth the several hundred dollars extra in rent.
I'm finding a few "transplants" who think like we do and that's a blessing. One thing that still aggrivates me is the "locals" constantly blaming all the crime in the area on people from NJ and NYC but ignore the criminals from NEPA. Sure there's bad elements in NJ and NYC but the majority of us are law abiding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania