Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 03:35 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehaz1 View Post
I remember going through the park with my friends looking for adventure. Just like ina Steven King Novel like "It". we really did dam the Tacony creek and blocked most of the water. The area was so tranquil. But it was not in any way what I undertstand NEPA is really. I hear of fathers an sons raping daughters. Brothers having incest with each other, Senior family members lending out sons and daughters for whatever. So this perfect life you may have concocted in your life is really just a fantasy where real people are gettihng hurt more than just physically. So wake up NEPA if you are part of it , STOP!!! Cause time will run out eventuqally.
I don't know who you have been hanging out with? I have lived here 70 years and never ran into what you describe. Have there been rapist in our area; yes. But no more than any other area of the Country. So why are you placing this evil cloud over the area?

Many years ago, 1950s, I would be in my grandparent's bar getting a free soda. I would see married couples come into the bar and the wife would have a black eye. The other patrons would ask the husband: What did she do this time! Times change and attitudes change. What was acceptable years ago would now put the abuser in prison. But this played out all across our Nation as we grew and learned.

Recently we had a human trafficking sting in Monroe County: Multiple People Charged After Human Trafficking Sting in the Poconos | WNEP.com. But I do not have to look too hard to find similar crimes in Philadelphia or any other town: Philadelphia Motel Accused of Allowing Sex Trafficking. We have law enforcement that will catch up with these monsters that exploit our young. If you know of any specific cases in our area feel free to report them. This crime could also be a spin off of the rampant drug use in our Nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 04:12 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
fisheye I hate to tell you this; but back in the 1980's I worked on a freight dock in Pocono Summit. We had five very cold night and days in a row. Every night the temperature went down to -20 and one night it hit -26. The day time temperatures were struggling to hit zero. Of course that was many years ago and I have not seen temperatures like those recently. There have been some times when our temperatures were colder than many towns in Alaska.
thank you for sharing, I think? Just kidding....yes, our weather certainly is unpredictable, however, at the end of the day, I believe we here in PA are more fortunate than most, considering weather, taxes, etc.? Don't you think?

Quote:
Of course I should never have started this thread because Mother Nature always loves to prove us wrong!
yes, she can sometimes be a mean motha....

Quote:
As far as Texas: That is our forth largest city that we are seeing inundated with water. The skyscrapers have flooded first floors and it might get worse. Considering how much or economy/fuel depends on Southeastern Texas; this is a National disaster. We will probably pay at the pumps for a long time to come. But, besides the cost, there will be a major cost of lives. They are in a very dangerous situation and it could get worse. I sympathize with them and worry about them.
Yes, I'm with you on this one, the more reports come in, the worse it gets, I to am very worried about them.
I want to help, and want to give, but to a local community down there, not Red Cross....I don't trust them....

Old 08-29-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehaz1 View Post
I remember going through the park with my friends looking for adventure. Just like ina Steven King Novel like "It". we really did dam the Tacony creek and blocked most of the water. The area was so tranquil. But it was not in any way what I undertstand NEPA is really. I hear of fathers an sons raping daughters. Brothers having incest with each other, Senior family members lending out sons and daughters for whatever. So this perfect life you may have concocted in your life is really just a fantasy where real people are gettihng hurt more than just physically. So wake up NEPA if you are part of it , STOP!!! Cause time will run out eventuqally.
are you kidding me? I have never heard any rumors of the like?????
Everywhere you go, you have good and bad people, of course, but this story is in fact fantasy....Oh I have no doubt, that PA has had it's share of incest going on, back in the day....however, I'm certain PA wasn't the only state with it going on.

I lived in NE PA for 20 years, and never heard stories of the like, so?

I believe at best, NE PA is known for it's drug rings, due to the vastness of it....
and of course, your terrorist leader....
and other criminal goings on, but no where near what other cities endure....
and I don't consider NE PA to be a city, but more so a vast rural area.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:37 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
It's weird but nobody ever mentions the flooding in 2011 in Towanda, PA and upriver. Even at the time there wasn't much on the news about it.
Towanda may not have been a focus but that was big news for days, even weeks. There was much larger areas affected like West Pittston and Bloomsburg.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
are you kidding me? I have never heard any rumors of the like?????
Everywhere you go, you have good and bad people, of course, but this story is in fact fantasy....Oh I have no doubt, that PA has had it's share of incest going on, back in the day....however, I'm certain PA wasn't the only state with it going on.

I lived in NE PA for 20 years, and never heard stories of the like, so?

I believe at best, NE PA is known for it's drug rings, due to the vastness of it....
and of course, your terrorist leader....
and other criminal goings on, but no where near what other cities endure....
and I don't consider NE PA to be a city, but more so a vast rural area.
Many years ago we would de-humanize our opposition - like the names we called the Germans in WWII. I went to PM and we heard or created names and jokes about PV; none of it did we have any proof. I also presume they did the same to us. We were simply trying to tell others that we were so much better than our opposition. Of course they proved us wrong on more than one occasion!

Today my feeling is that this de-humanizing would be looked on as a form of bullying and not socially acceptable. But, could this be interpreted by others as representing real events - who knows?

Old 08-29-2017, 07:23 AM

377 posts, read 241,231 times
I am sure many of those who live in NEPA like it where they are. I am just a landowner from a nearby state. I wish I could have a better view regarding the area, but I don't. There is an element of human behavior that started in the late 1960's regarding the lack of respect for the property of others. Of course, this is not specific to just this area, but when it affects you personally , you take notice.

My family had a small summer cottage in NEPA since the 1930's. It was the perfect get away from the more populated areas that we came from. Up until the late 1960's no one would ever vandalize , steal and destroy the property. We tried to maintain it , but each season when we returned the damage got worse and worse. Finally the cottage was burned to the ground a few decades ago. I considered rebuilding, but even with insurance, could not take the risk that the same thing would happen again. First it was the buck shot from the Hunters. Then the kids , trashing the place, stealing and destroying. I guess being in a secluded area was too much of a temptation.

It was very sad. No reason for it. No respect . I also about building and retiring there , but not with the mentality that I saw over several decades.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE72 View Post
I am sure many of those who live in NEPA like it where they are. I am just a landowner from a nearby state. I wish I could have a better view regarding the area, but I don't. There is an element of human behavior that started in the late 1960's regarding the lack of respect for the property of others. Of course, this is not specific to just this area, but when it affects you personally , you take notice.

My family had a small summer cottage in NEPA since the 1930's. It was the perfect get away from the more populated areas that we came from. Up until the late 1960's no one would ever vandalize , steal and destroy the property. We tried to maintain it , but each season when we returned the damage got worse and worse. Finally the cottage was burned to the ground a few decades ago. I considered rebuilding, but even with insurance, could not take the risk that the same thing would happen again. First it was the buck shot from the Hunters. Then the kids , trashing the place, stealing and destroying. I guess being in a secluded area was too much of a temptation.

It was very sad. No reason for it. No respect . I also about building and retiring there , but not with the mentality that I saw over several decades.
sad, and I apologize, not everyone is like that....but I'm hearing this more and more....
Kids use winter spots for a hang out, they break in....

Old 08-29-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
sad, and I apologize, not everyone is like that....but I'm hearing this more and more....
Kids use winter spots for a hang out, they break in....
Yes they do. And when they couldn't get through the doors and windows because we reinforced them with sheets of steel , they chopped a hole in the roof with an axe. That's just sick.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE72 View Post
Yes they do. And when they couldn't get through the doors and windows because we reinforced them with sheets of steel , they chopped a hole in the roof with an axe. That's just sick.
I apologize to; but it only takes one bad apple and that can happen anyplace. We have never had any problems; but we are here year round and do not present an easy target to the wrong crowd. We have seen what vandals did to the old Penn Hills resort and how many now feel they have every right to trespass. All of this can be a spinoff from rampant drug use? Or it could be the next generation without any respect for hard work and appreciation for property ownership?

As a landlord I am sure that you choose your potential new tenants very carefully. It is so easy to get stuck with rotten tenants that have no respect for your property.

I was a commercial landlord back in the 1970's. I had one bad tenant that I evicted because they never paid on time. They had a candle shop. They went to another landlord and told him I recommended them. That new landlord never called me to confirm what they told him. Two months went by and the new landlord called me to ask me why I would ever recommend the people that burned down his business! I told him that his tenants were dead beats and that I would never recommend them even to a worse enemy. He had no insurance at the time and died of a heart attack about a month latter! True story.

Good luck with your retirement and choose carefully!

PS Sorry; I read landlord instead of land owner! I am watching the Houston mess in the background!

Old 08-29-2017, 08:23 AM

There really isn't a need to apologize . I understand the vast changes in culture that started in the late 1960's , and I once had the impression that it was just a sign of changing times. As I grew older, I became aware of many people with vacation homes in up state NY and New England that had some issues, but never to the extent that we experienced. There are cabins in New Hampshire and Maine that are even left open , and if people need to find shelter, they use them and move on without damage.

The land is vacant , only a foundation remains. If I was an RV or Trailer owner, it would be a perfect spot to park for a few days or a week. There aren't any services , and the power lines to the property have been down for many years . I thought about renting/leasing it, but without services, it wouldn't be worth it to many people. The unpaved road has not been maintained by the Town for many years, but in a way that's a blessing, as a few years ago when it was maintained it became a dumping ground. I guess I will put it up for sale in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania