Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2017, 05:23 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Years ago, I worked in downtown Wilkes-Barre. Once in a while, I went to the news stand on the corner--I don't think that's even a thing any more--and bought a daily number ticket. I won a few times. In January, the Times Leader posted all of the winning numbers for the year. If I'd bought a ticket every day, straight and boxed, I would have come out hundreds of dollars ahead. I always used my birth date. I guess I was born on a lucky day.
We did win one car. I guess you cannot be luckier than that! We only bought two $2 tickets to win that car. We have not won anything after that; but one win like that is all most of us could ever wish for. We still buy two tickets every year on our local carnival car drawing. The tickets went up to $10 each so it now cost $20 for two.

Actually I always felt lucky after I survived the flood of 1955. Being surrounded by raging water and not knowing if it will rise gives you a slightly different perspective on life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 06:28 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,236,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I have lots and lots of batteries. And candles. And firewood. Not doing that a second time.
Dead Batteries...free of charge...get it??

Old 09-13-2017, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
How did your home in Puerto Rico fair? Looks like Irma will just give us some rain tomorrow - our pond needs it!

Old 09-13-2017, 07:40 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:

Old 09-14-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
How did your home in Puerto Rico fair? Looks like Irma will just give us some rain tomorrow - our pond needs it!
we fared well comparatively speaking...Thanks for asking Fish, just some debris,

power got knocked out by a large Norfolk pine ( not a native species) planted by some Gringos years ago )
The Banyans and Palms .we have three Coconut Palms out front and a Royal palm out back.. held firm...

Power was restored, the grid is pretty well maintained around Rincón, can't say that about most parts of the Island..PR is in some deep crap fiscally.
we don't keep anything in the refrigerator/ freezer while we are away...except Ice Cubes..

Even when we are there, we eat at the local restaurants, Seafood is fresh, plentiful and cheap.

we usually eat breakfast, lunch at home. anything leftover when we leave, like canned foods, milk, eggs, Soda, Cerveza, we give to the cleaning lady..she is a sweet Abuela, with lots of Grandkids...

So, we lost three trays of ice cubes..

God Bless their souls..

Hope they didn't suffer...:-)

will be there first week of October..hopefully..

Fisheye, do you keep any fish in your pond?

Last edited by mr.magoo; 09-14-2017 at 05:29 PM..

Old 09-14-2017, 05:28 PM

28,901 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Today we drove up to the Water Gap..It was Autumn like...my wife always loves to see the Delaware River in such a narrow venue.

On the way back on Rt.32 Pa. there is a 'High Water' Mark painted on the rocks from the Great Flood of August 19-20 1955.. I remember seeing it in it's original form since I was a kid, on our trips back to Trenton from 'back home' to WB..

This Marker, located about 5 or so miles North of Lumberville, (Black Bass Inn) has been kept up by someone over the years...they paint over the original lettering in the precise handwriting...pretty cool.

I am getting closer to Wilkes-Barre, Some of my family will be meeting @ Saints Peter and Paul Cemetery, the family plot...on Veterans Day to honor our families Veterans..

All the sights, smells, voices, of my childhood will come back to me in a great euphoric rush.

I'll smell pierogies, garlic, frying butter, wood/coal fires, mothballs ..The rotten egg sulphuric stank from the Mill Creek on a rare humid night...

whiskey on my father and Uncles breath, Old Spice, and Ben Gay too...

Lavender, mint, and bleach from my Babci's gnarled fingers, spearmint Gum from my Mom's Breath,

I will hear the dogs, ...Trixie, a female mutt who ate only cabbage, potatoes and neckbones yapping in a high shrill voice,

Pal, the smelly old Hunting Hound, who howled gloriously at a full moon, The clucking of the Hens, the crowing of the Rooster, until my Grandmother silenced them with the thwack of a well honed axe on a tree stump.

For this very reason, I will never shy of visiting the Cemetery, Things will always, for the most part, stay the same..

There will be no Condo or Wawa built next to my memories.
What an awesome write! My sister owns a home a few houses down from the Black Bass Inn in Lumberville and I know of the watermark that you speak of! I must say again what a beautiful beautiful picture you painted!

Old 09-14-2017, 05:30 PM

Mister Magoo next time you're in that area across from the black bass in there is an actual Pet Sematary you should stop and walk through it's really lovely

Old 09-14-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
we fared well comparatively speaking...Thanks for asking Fish, just some debris,

power got knocked out by a large Norfolk pine ( not a native species) planted by some Gringos years ago )
The Banyans and Palms .we have three Coconut Palms out front and a Royal palm out back.. held firm...

Power was restored, the grid is pretty well maintained around Rincón, can't say that about most parts of the Island..PR is in some deep crap fiscally.
we don't keep anything in the refrigerator/ freezer while we are away...except Ice Cubes..

Even when we are there, we eat at the local restaurants, Seafood is fresh, plentiful and cheap.

we usually eat breakfast, lunch at home. anything leftover when we leave, like canned foods, milk, eggs, Soda, Cerveza, we give to the cleaning lady..she is a sweet Abuela, with lots of Grandkids...

So, we lost three trays of ice cubes..

God Bless their souls..

Hope they didn't suffer...:-)

will be there first week of October..hopefully..

Fisheye, do you keep any fish in your pond?
Our pond is dry; it needs some Irma rain! Our camp lake looks good. Glad that you kept it together down in the islands! Branson didn't do that great!

Old 09-15-2017, 04:41 AM

there are always trade offs in life, no matter where you chose to live, or do, or work....nothing is ever perfect....however, for me, PA is an awesome state....oh, yes, there are other awesome states, people and places...some favorites are West Virginia, Kentucky, Colorado...but then, I love areas that are rural with not so many people. Living in an area where you'd have to get in the car to drive to get groceries.

Not that cites aren't exciting and full of lights and culture, art, theater, etc....they are great places to visit, but wouldn't want to live there.

PA is so close to lots of other states, loaded with miles and miles of forests, yet, you can hop in the car and be at the beach in 2 hours, or less...go fishing on the Delaware, visit the wilderness in upstate NY, tremendous Ski Slops, Water Parks, Great Wolf Lodge, great camping on the fire lines in World's End...or grab a show in NYC...Not far from the Chesapeak Bay, Outer Banks, Maine, and still have the 4 seasons to behold.
There is always Shawnee on the Delaware, surrounded by some fabulous eateries in NY, NJ, DE, MD, PA, etc...and the summer outdoor festivities are way to many to county. We even have a real honest ta goodness castle in Doylestown. History and heritage is interesting....

I love PA....

Old 09-15-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Mister Magoo next time you're in that area across from the black bass in there is an actual Pet Sematary you should stop and walk through it's really lovely
We eat at The Black Bass a few times a year..mostly in the fall when the leaves are changing...
I did not know of the Pet Cemetery..have to check it out.

Does your Sis dine at the Black Bass?
Just wondering how she feels about the relatively new ownership by Thompson?

We kind of like it, but I miss the humble old furnishings of the original owner(s)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania