Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 11:09 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times

Advertisements

Creme, I have been there many times since. At some point, I became the official family tour guide.

My husband's friend lived there for many years. We visited him most years, and sometimes twice. While we never went on tours or to attractions, he told us of many.

As the official tour guide, I've now been to see all of the "important" places at least once, and sometimes three times. You can never visit the Reading Terminal Market or the Art Museum too many times. I went to Eastern State Penitentiary with my nephew. My son wanted to see The Mint, and my sister wanted the Double Decker Bus Tour.

I've been there for other reasons, like a funeral, and to stay with my nephew's frat brothers. My nephew thought I should go with him. Probably because I looked middle class and sane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 04:30 AM

28,899 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Wall police warn residents about coyote sightings

Good Morning,
I heard this on the news this morning, but didn't catch the whole story, and there is nothing as of yet, on their website, but apparently someone in NJ was surrounded by a pack of coyotes? More to come....

OK, here it is....
http://www.northjersey.com/story/new...ver/671847001/

Last edited by cremebrulee; 09-28-2017 at 05:38 AM..

Old 09-28-2017, 06:08 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Wall police warn residents about coyote sightings

Good Morning,
I heard this on the news this morning, but didn't catch the whole story, and there is nothing as of yet, on their website, but apparently someone in NJ was surrounded by a pack of coyotes? More to come....

OK, here it is....
Saddle River dog walker surrounded by coyotes
We had a camp member from NJ that was surrounded by a pack of coyotes about 15 years ago. Perhaps he brought over vicious coyotes from NJ? He was working on a tree stand at the time and unarmed. He did not like the feeling of being 'prey'. They eventually left and he came down out of his stand; but it was a nervous trip back to the camp.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:01 AM

28,899 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
We had a camp member from NJ that was surrounded by a pack of coyotes about 15 years ago. Perhaps he brought over vicious coyotes from NJ? He was working on a tree stand at the time and unarmed. He did not like the feeling of being 'prey'. They eventually left and he came down out of his stand; but it was a nervous trip back to the camp.
yeah, I bet it was scary....watched a show called "I was prey" on Animal Planet.
this one man, (and I don't remember the specifics as I was doing dishes while it played out)
He was a single father, he worked night shift, and lived down a dirt road....his car refused to start, so he decided to walk. Later while walking, and it was dark, he heard faint cries, like a baby crying. No one was there, as it was a road not traveled by many....however, further down the road, he was surrounded by Coyotes.

He realized he had become prey. Coyotes hunt together and are very smart. He thinks they needed to feed their young...they started to attack him and he goes on to describe the gruesome attack. He got away and lived, but he had some very bad bites, and had to go thru, rabies shots, of course.

when you say, "We had a camp member" what do you mean, like a hunting club, or property you rented for hunting? Not sure I understand, and by now, you know I'm very curious. If you would rather not say, totally understand.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yeah, I bet it was scary....watched a show called "I was prey" on Animal Planet.
this one man, (and I don't remember the specifics as I was doing dishes while it played out)
He was a single father, he worked night shift, and lived down a dirt road....his car refused to start, so he decided to walk. Later while walking, and it was dark, he heard faint cries, like a baby crying. No one was there, as it was a road not traveled by many....however, further down the road, he was surrounded by Coyotes.

He realized he had become prey. Coyotes hunt together and are very smart. He thinks they needed to feed their young...they started to attack him and he goes on to describe the gruesome attack. He got away and lived, but he had some very bad bites, and had to go thru, rabies shots, of course.

when you say, "We had a camp member" what do you mean, like a hunting club, or property you rented for hunting? Not sure I understand, and by now, you know I'm very curious. If you would rather not say, totally understand.
20 of us own a cabin three miles back in the woods on dirt roads. That is where my wife and I spotted the mountain lion years ago. Actually when the coyotes moved in; I gave up hunting because there were not that many deer left. There was a local golf course that declared war on the deer at the same time as the coyotes moved in. But I still like fishing on the property; so I kept my membership. We have 650 acres and a 35 acre lake - which is another reason that I like our area!

Old 09-28-2017, 01:29 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,236,615 times
Coyotes?
'yote alert!
Varmintblaster...if you are reading this...heh heh.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
Coyotes?
'yote alert!
Varmintblaster...if you are reading this...heh heh.
How are the coyotes in Puerto Rico? How did you make out with the storm?

Old 09-28-2017, 04:41 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,236,615 times
no coyotes in PR...
No one made out in the 'storm'. it wasn't a storm..it was a a Cat.5 huracán

The Island is devastated.

My place is central West Coast..right on the beach.

It will be one of the last areas to receive aid..it has no port nor airfield.
There has been absolutely NO communication with that part of the Island since P u t a Maria hit.

My Casa ..It is just a building..bricks, wood..siding. if it is gone for good..the beach will still be there, as beautiful as ever..and hopefully we will rebuild.. no problema.

I am worried about my 92 yr. old FIL, a WWII/Korean War vet , served with the Famed 65th Infantry Rgt..
After a long week, we heard briefly from him on Tues. near one of the remaining cell towers in Ponce, the town, he retired to in 2002.

neighbors were taking him to a local store, they were stocking up on what little provisions are left in the area.
He said he had a tank and a 1/2 of propane left, and everyone would be cooking at his place that afternoon..

One thing one must know about the people of Puerto Rico..
Familia is everything, everyone shares what little they have, Family and neighbors first take care of La Viejas the elderly, and la niñas the kids first.

Much love for these people..

Last edited by mr.magoo; 09-28-2017 at 05:37 PM..

Old 09-28-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
no coyotes in PR...
No one made out in the 'storm'. it wasn't a storm..it was a a Cat.5 huracán

The Island is devastated.

My place is central West Coast..right on the beach.

It will be one of the last areas to receive aid..it has no port nor airfield.
There has been absolutely NO communication with that part of the Island since P u t a Maria hit.

My Casa ..It is just a building..bricks, wood..siding. if it is gone for good..the beach will still be there, as beautiful as ever..and hopefully we will rebuild.. no problema.

I am worried about my 92 yr. old FIL, a WWII/Korean War vet , served with the Famed 65th Infantry Rgt..
After a long week, we heard briefly from him on Tues. near one of the remaining cell towers in Ponce, the town, he retired to in 2002.

neighbors were taking him to a local store, they were stocking up on what little provisions are left in the area.
He said he had a tank and a 1/2 of propane left, and everyone would be cooking at his place that afternoon..

One thing one must know about the people of Puerto Rico..
Familia is everything, everyone shares what little they have, Family and neighbors first take care of La Viejas the elderly, and la niñas the kids first.

Much love for these people..
Good luck to your FIL; at 92 it has to be rough! Have they seen any aid or signs of relief coming? So many were hit by Harvey, Jose, and Maria that I can picture the system is pushed to the limit. I presume that they are trying to restore power and clear the roads; like what happened after Katrina. But I also presume that much of the equipment, that was on the island, is no longer usable.

One of the problems with major disasters, like this one; is the media turns it's back after the 'event'. We never see the problems after the fact. I know that for years many still had blue roofs after Katrina (tarps on their roof).

Old 09-28-2017, 10:15 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
It's gut ripping. What is going on? How about now? Communications are down. I imagine many things.

I didn't have anyone involved in this storm, but I have in the past. It was usually me.

Yep, mom, I'm fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania